Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 06/19 (Read 426 times)

"The power of the human will to compete and the drive to excel beyond the body's normal capabilities is most beautifully demonstrated in the arena of sport."  ---Aimee Mullins

I envy the folks who prefer the natural look.  I guess I could be one of those folks.

Um, it may not be on purpose, but I guess you could say our "lawn" has that "natural" look. Roll eyes

Arla - Yes, I think you're doping.  Have fun with it while you can!!  BTW - Tammy from the daily and Jackie over in the Predawn forum are both running Grandma's.  And yes - eh hem - I'm toying with the idea of a 100-miler.  I'll have to talk to Shorty about it at length due to the commitment re training time and finances, and it wouldn't be for a couple of years.  I think I need to have successfully completed a couple of 50-milers a year over the course of 2 years before tackling one, but I sure would like to give it a go.  The other question would be which one.

1.25 hrs of core/strength this a.m.  I was going to do a stationary ride, as well, but I turned off my alarm and promptly rolled back over.  Maybe when I get home.

BTW - drum roll please . . . . . NO CRUTCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After 11 weeks, it looks like I'M FREE!!!!!!!  Yes, I'm taking it easy.  Slow walking, nothing too exciting, but it sure was good to leave those suckers behind this morning. Big grin

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

HOORAY CRUTCHLESS LESLIE!!!!!  So, yeah, I figured you'd be working up to 100 in the next couple years. At AR50, I was talking to a guy who said doing 100 is just like doing 50, except you won't finish today. And..."doping", I like it! Even better than saying I'm on PEDs.

Ev - I finally gave up on taking care of my own lawn and have the weekly "mow and blow" crew come in. I have, however, replaced most of the lawn with more drought-resistant flowers and shrubs, such as gazanias. I hate lawns!

Hi to everyone else. Besides, stumpy, where's OM? Busy with the new job...?

Easy 6, switching to more am runs as we head into triple digit territory.

Ex runner

jfa

Yea Leslie! Finally off the crutches! Good for you.

Arla- good luck with the drugs!

Jim and Lynda and Cindy- nice going out in Nebraska!

Sluggish 15er in some H+H yesterday. Fly out west early tomorrow morning. Plan is to stay away from computers while on vacation!

Yay Leslie!  No more crutchesBig grin.  You will have to find something new to whack people withEvil.  And why does it not surprise me that you are talking about a 100 mile race just as you shuck the crutches Confused

Ev, glad the tornado alert was overdone and the tornadoes were underdone!  As for the yard, ugh!  Don't remind me.

Arla doping!  What has happened to this group?!  Oh wait, it's just endorpins and smart, consistent training.  I gotta get me some of that!

Joe, enjoy your trip! 

What's this about another Nebraska race/meetup going on?  Sounds like lots of fun for all Smile

Woohooo!  PR and 3rd/25 in AG in the Wounded Warrior 10K on Sunday Smile.  58:37, which is slow among this group, but FINALLY beat an hour after setting that as the mark back in 2008.  Fun day that included my friend's son finishing his first 1/2, and meeting up w/ a few other peeps from church at the race.  Gonna try my first group ride this Saturday and survival is my goal! 

Progress Trumps Pefection

Woohooo!  PR and 3rd/25 in AG in the Wounded Warrior 10K on Sunday Smile.  58:37, which is slow among this group, but FINALLY beat an hour after setting that as the mark back in 2008.   

Congrats Carol.  I just knew you were in for a breakout race.  You're strength is showing.

Good for you, Arla, with the drought resistant plants.  I should take a page from your book.  I do enjoy the lawn and when it's like I want it, its not too bad to keep up with...we've got a really small lot.  But we've been making some changes that's called for a lot more work to get it back into shape. 

Leslie....no crutches.....beautiful!

Joe.....enjoy!

No run for me today, my knees are killing me.   

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Congratulations, Carol!! Smile  Good luck with the group ride.

{{{Ev's Knees}}} Getting old Maturing ain't for sissies, is it?

Well, I definitely still have to wear my running shoes for the support and the ACE bandage to keep the foot from swelling.  Wore a less supportive shoe this morning and had to go home at lunch and change.  I've been quite the fashion plate throughout all this - nice top and slacks for work, topped off with retired running shoes. Crutches and anything with even a slight heel just don't work well together.

Is it time to go home yet??????

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Congrats Carol good job on hitting your 10k goal. Our little group has progressed nicely :-)

Leslie, look ma no crutches!!! Haleefffinglooooya! yay

Arla yaaa you biology teachers know all the tricks to enhancing performance ;-)

Stay cool. Thinking I want to kill our little imediate bluegrass lawn and plant it to native Buffalograss!

Joe enjoy the mtn coolness!

Ev glad the tornadoes missed ya, they don't scare me as much as they just piss me off! And Evryone knows running is bad for your knees ;-)

Hiyas to the rest, the mtn folk I think are still in transit.

Cheering crowds at Sandhills

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

r2 - the pic of the cheering crowds - *snork!* - love it. Yeah, looked at buffalograss, if you do it let me know. Here we all have bermuda, I HATE it because it's also weedy, sends out runners and ends up all over the yard, invading into the flowers and veggies and everywhere - grrr!

Leslie - the nice office wear + running shoes is very east coast, think of all those foot commuters in NYC etc. So you're actually quite chic. Also, I was thinking of 100s, and Mark is doing the Javelina Jundred - looks pretty reasonable in terms of logistics, and I think we're camping there (I'm going to pace and help crew him) so that makes it really cheap! I'm sure you're already familiar with that one.

ev - hope the knee thing is just a temporary problem after all your sod work Sad

Carol - placed in your AG - NICE! Very exciting!

Joe - happy trails, may your wish come true to stay away from computers and may your runs be in low humidity.

Ex runner

Cheering crowds at Sandhills

Within the cheering cowd at the Sandhill race, one cow was ovrherd saying, "Those two are really mooving it along.  I'm udderly amazed at their stamina."

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Love, love, LOVE the cheering crowds!! Big grin

The Javelina Jundred is one I've looked at because of its relatively flat.  And I love the desert.  Arla, you can give me the lowdown on the course!  My in-laws winter in Yuma, they have motor homes/campers, and I could get them to crew for me at no cost, so it would just be a matter of finding a pacer.  Whatever I end up doing, it's a ways away, and I still have to break the news to my coach . . . and my husband. Wink

Okay - I'm gonna ditch a half hour early and go pool running. Later ~

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Ev love the recaptioning!!

Arla here is a Univ of Nebraska publication covering converting to Buffalo grass turf. I don't know how well adapted it is to your area but does well here even during heat and drought. I will just go dormant if you don't water it then. If it is mixed with cool season grasses, they will crowd it out especially if watered.

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=1183

I went for a little recovery run last nite and had really no problems, while after Vegas it took weeks to get anything working right so am encouraged by that. I was probably faster over shorter distances then but nowhere near the base I have now. The local 5k is in 3 weeks so I need a makeover to be a short distance racer. I found a RW article discussing just the same but in 4 wks instead of 3 but I think I can make it work. I was going to do track work tommorow but after reading that article think I will just run easy a few days and start hitting the intervals next week.

In the really weird category I woke up race morning almost convinced I tore my rotator cuff overnight. I couldn't raise my arm much above my stomach and at that point there was no way I could run. I took a hot shower and used my fingers to climb that arm up the wall and got some motion. Didn't really bother during the race except I had to grab my left arm with my right arm to raise it enough to read my Garmin. We had done a lot of heavy work in the days before and I guess it decided to lock up with the added stress of the race. Mtn Chk couldn't feel any obvious damage  and did work on it the day after. I started taking some IBU 24 hrs after the race and combined with the massage and active recovery on all fronts, by today I can barely feel there was any problem. I think my back took the brunt of the compensatory response of a shortened arm swing on the left (sore shoulder side) as it has been quite tweaky since the race and that really isn't normal for me.  As far as my abcess and running on Amoxycillan absolutely no problem. The slight swelling had gone down by race day and I didn't take any medication race morning, really didn't have any problems there.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

OK, the first line I read is "arla's doping".  Guess I can't skip last weeks thread.  I'll be back in a little while.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - sounds crazy, but I've had severe pains come and go like that in the shoulders. I would bet that, given your rodeo history, that you can think on it awhile and remember that you've been through something like this before...? Or maybe you were younger/tougher/stupider and didn't pay much attention at the time. Excited to hear that you're going to be hitting some "fun" speedwork kind of stuff. You definitely have the base for it now! Hm and hat buffalo grass sounds a little like bermuda when you say it crowds out the winter grass.

Stumpy - yes, I've crossed over to the Dark Side. Evil

Leslie - when do you get to shift from water running to workouts on the hard ground? Will you start with walking workouts? I will certainly let you know the good/bad/ugly about the javelina when we get there. Even though I'm not running, I'm really worried for Mark!

Easy 4 and change in some rather hot am temps, pushing 80 by 9:30 am, ok so that's not so hot, but it seems like it after our cool spring.

Ex runner

Crazy arm, Jim.  Probably pissed from all the hard work you've been doing. Big grin

Hi, Stumpy!

Didn't catch Ev's rephrasing the first time around. Blush  You're a funny, dude!

Arla - You're pacing Mark for a portion of the race, right?  Will that be his first 100-miler?  Dove here in the Masters Forum ran it this last year.  She could probably provide him some insight.

And I can't start running until I can power walk a solid hour without any pain.  I'm going to include that I have to be able to power walk up and down trails without any pain before I start running.  Have decided I need to keep one crutch with me for any distance walking.

I would love to have a massage! Undecided

50 min of pool running tonight, plus 5 min of core specific.  My speed work - surprised myself.  First attempt, stopped after 45 seconds and thought it just wasn't my night and I would just "run" whatever was comfortable.  2nd - 88 churns; 3rd - 91churns; 4th - 92 churns; 5th - petered out after 30 seconds.  Was very happy with 2-4 as my goal has been to break 79.  Although I could hardly catch my breath after each.  That's okay, though.  Keeping ye ole cardio built up!

The Exercise: Hands up around ears (the arms should be higher out of the water, but I can't do that right now), for 1 minute, "run" as fast as possible.  A "churn" (my word) is L/R (like you would count your cadence).

Okay - Off to bed.  Night, all.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

buffalo grass sounds a little like bermuda when you say it crowds out the winter grass.

Actually it is the opposite, the cool season grasses will overtake The Buffalo grass if it is watered etc. Most recommend either removal or chemical control of previous lawns like Bluegrass or Bermuda......I don't think it is near as aggressive as bermuda but would be tough and hardy once established. That said I am way out of my area of expertise in CA. I saw UC Davis I think had some info, and that Univ of Nebraska pub had some good info. We have an acre of native grass between our house and the road, predominately Buffalo grass. Had a truck driver turn his semi on it, Lynda was ready to take his head off I think. :-) It did recover tho......