Masters Running

Monday, Monday, 8.10.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

Ribs, I didn't think anyone would know Salt Point. As your DW knows, it is barely a crossroads (or, it was 30+ years ago).

Holly, good luck with the DD challenges. Being as kidless as Twocat (but with well over 100 cousins, nephews, and nieces, etc.) I can only recommend that you continue being a good, tough mom.

A 75 year-old guy came to our RW clinic yesterday. He had hip-replacement surgery years ago, but is doing quite well. He wants to improve his walking speed so he can win his AG at the national Senior Games when he is 80. I like his thinking. And I was also thinking good thoughts for TW and his surgery tomorrow.

I didn't have/take time to stretch between yesterday's workout and our clinic, and I paid for it all day with tight muscles. Good reinforcement for the benefits of post-workout stretching. Despite the tightness, I got a lot of yard work done, and was beat by the end of the day.

SRD today, and I was glad of it. So I slept in a bit and read a bit before getting the day started. I have to head out for a 8:30am meeting, and I have another meeting at 7 tonight, so this will not be a short day. So it goes.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

0 meetings

5.2 miles

smiles to all

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

The Saint and I did 3.3 miles on the dirt track this morning.  Difference was that she jogged hers continuously and I jogged/walked mine. I find it tees me up better for my Wednesday run if I go really easy on Mondays.

I know I posted this on FB so those of you who are friends with me there have heard this already but I am crowing today. Forgive me. My son Hudson has worked 3 years at the supermarket on weekends and has been promoted three times. He's now a Guest Services Manager (customer complaints, returns, scheduling employee breaks and supervising the front end of the store and the cashiers). He loves that job.  On Saturday he learned that the store had awarded him a $1,500 scholarship for college. So proud of him.

Yes EK, I go back to the cardiologist for lipid panel on September 3rd.  I too am eager to learn how this non-statin experiment will fare.  Spareribs

Henrun

Returning from 4 days in the Hamptons-a 3 ferry journey to New London Ct. We were able to get 2 three mile runs, 25 miles of cycling, beach time, good food, good company and great weather.

Marathon Maniac #957

Yay for Hudson - well done!

Try as I might, I could not find the part we needed for the washer repair online.  Apparently it has been discontinued and now you have to buy the whole drum assembly for $400.  So, we put our 5yo washer on the curb and purchased another one.  We found this one, though, an "out of the box' item for 30% off.  The salesman insisted that we can wash a king-size comforter in it (DH thinks our other washer broke when I washed a comforter).  This time we paid an extra $100 for the 5-year warranty, so DH said, "wash those comforters!"  Given that the dogs sleep with the kids, their comforters need washing fairly regularly.

No run for me today, just 35 minutes or so of weights and core.

Middle School Open House tonight and school starts Wednesday.  But summer is not over until the end of September, I say!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Your old washing machine sounds like my road bike was ten years ago when I was told at the IMCdA, “it’s too old to get parts to fix your grating wheel.”  However, modern tri-bikes look about as much like bikes as your new washing machine looks like a washing machine so I’m still grating.  Too bad you don’t have someone like Hudson to return it to too.
              4.5 miles in the third predicted day of rain in a row

when it’s going to get up to the low-to-mid-eighties instead. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good for Hudson, Ribs, although what does he need scholarship money for when he has a rich dad?

I had a great weekend at the Amishland and Lakes bicycle tour in northern Indiana (Shipshewana area for those of you who have heard of it). This is another big Amish community similar to where I biked in Ohio a few weeks ago. We had great weather, and that part of the state is loaded with quiet, paved county roads with very little vehicle traffic. The ride was headquartered at the Howe Military Academy, a military school for grades 7-12 that is a rarity these days (and is indeed struggling with enrollment). The ride had routes ranging from 25 to 100 miles. We did 65 on Saturday and 35 on Sunday. The riding was generally easy, although you had to constantly weave around to avoid the horse droppings (lots of buggies!).

One neat thing is that about every 2 or 3 miles an Amish family would have a table set up in the front yard with the kids selling things like lemonade, soft pretzels, home-baked items, and so on. I felt bad that I didn't stop at more of them! Below is one that I stopped at for a root beer float and a warm cinnamon roll (also a reminder that cyclists do come in all shapes and sizes):

Here's a picture of the group that I rode with. The two women are also runners and Catherine, on the right, is the one that I often run with on weekday mornings:

Me, riding on Sunday morning on a quiet country road:

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

It's been a long time since I've been here. Good to see so many familiar faces.  Lots of triumphs and set backs here. Hoping to become a regular contributor again as I have always enjoyed sharing with the people here. Just a couple of quickies for today. Ran a nice easy 5 this morning. Since I was last here I've taken up performing magic. Have been doing it since around Thanksgiving. Was asked to perform at a couple fellow teachers retirement parties. Here is one of my performances: https://youtu.be/UPZvWk7cB-Ysigned card to envelope

Roch - It sounds like you had a great time this weekend.  Thanks for sharing the pics.

Holly - Enjoy the new washer!

Good luck to TW with the surgery tomorrow.  {{{Prayers}}}

Ribs - As I said on FB, congratulations to your son, who obviously deserves the respect, and to his parents who obviously raised him to be a good human being.

I'm still around, but am not doing much, unfortunately.  I got in a whole 45 min of stat biking last week and 6 miles of running on Saturday.  Woot woot!!  I really have to figure out how to get my head around exercising again.  I know it will help with the mental exhaustion I am dealing with.

I cracked myself up on my run Saturday.  I ran the 6 miles at the McKay Tract and decided to take an unused logging road that had been punched in two years ago right at the beginning of the tract.  After a mile or so, came to a fork and decided to go right.  Kept to the right and suddenly I popped out on a really nice, well-maintained logging road.  I stood for a second and realized I could hear some traffic so I thought well, I'm obviously not far from civilization.  Started to the left at first, but then decided to go to the right.  Had gone maybe half of a football field in distance when I looked to my right and thought, "Well, that gate looks familiar."  Looked around me and saw a patch of sand and sort of stared at it for a few seconds before it hit me - - I had simply made a U and had popped back out on the main logging road maybe 1/2 a mile from where I started.  Good grief! What a dork!  I still needed some miles, so did the U in reverse.  Next time I come to the fork, I'll go to the left and see what's that direction. 

Have a good week, peeps ~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evan, great, speedy, half.  steve, nice 5K.  I like Tag's prize.  ribs, kudos to Hudson.  He deserves it.  roch, I like the pictures of your ride.  craneium, "hi".

Nice long runs for enke, DrRobin, and evan.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and almost calm.  I did 5 miles at an 11:35 pace.

About 15 years ago, I was diagnosed with glaucoma that had caused some loss of peripheral vision in an area that I never noticed but was picked up at an annual eye test.  I've taken eye drops ever since.  There was no progression of the peripheral vision loss until a couple years ago when it began to creep into my main field of vision in one eye.  This morning, my opthamologist zapped my bad eye with a laser to try and help the situation.  It was no big deal.  Depending on how it works, I'll probably get the other eye done.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Nice looking dishwasher, Holly. Ohh, and did your DD help you clean up the mess her friends left?

Aamos, I just love your smiles!

Hudson rocks! I am looking forward to seeing him conquer the world.

Nice looking biker is that Roch! Thanks for the pictures.

Tamster!!!!! how is your kiddo doing?

Craneium is here! Hurrahh. We enjoy your postings too.

Ohh, where is Tramps?

Erika, great job on that Half marathon! Robin, way to go with those marathon pace miles after your long run on Saturday. You are looking good, sistahh.

I sure miss hopeful4ever, don't you?

Well, three decades ago today, on a cold wintry day, I stood at the altar and repeated the vows the Easy Pacer and I wrote for each other. It sure has been a great journey. Not all smooth, but the valley's and summits we have walked together have been full of memories.

Funny, since we were good friends with the pastor who married us, I had the awesome privilege of writing my whole wedding ceremony, which was done in three languages so everyone attending could understand what was being said.

This morning we started celebrating our anniversary by going out for a memory lane 4 miler.

Cheers,

Smiley Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, three decades ago today, on a cold wintry day, I stood at the altar and repeated the vows the Easy Pacer and I wrote for each other. It sure has been a great journey. Not all smooth, but the valley's and summits we have walked together have been full of memories.

Funny, since we were good friends with the pastor who married us, I had the awesome privilege of writing my whole wedding ceremony, which was done in three languages so everyone attending could understand what was being said.

This morning we started celebrating our anniversary by going out for a memory lane 4 miler.

This is so lovely!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good luck tw!!!

Mariposai happy anniversary!  Congratulations on your 30th anniversary!

Holly S. congratulations on your new washing machine!  Wishing you happy clean comforters into the foreseeable future!

Spareribs congratulations to your son on his fine performance at work!

Craneium welcome back.  Now do not do a magic trick and make yourself disappear again!

I am going to see if a few days off from running helps get my times back down.  I am wondering if I am just tuckered out and need a rest.  Worst comes to worst, I have a couple of days as a semi couch potato.  But, if it helps that is good until the next problem arises!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

That was a cool trick Craneium.  I love magic.  I've never been any good at it so I really like watching people who are.

Happy anniversary, Posie!  By the way...where did you get married that it was a "cold wintry day" on Aug 10th?

I had to get up at 4:15 this morning to get Mikey to the airport...it was a nice visit, but way too short.

I ran at the track, tonight....not really in to it...but a slogged my way through.

I have a whole lot more to talk about, but no more time...gotta go,  See ya!

Oh--hi dg!