Masters Running

newbies on DST (Read 418 times)

Hope you don't mind my starting a new thread. The middle two pages of the last one were all weird on my computer - wide-screen, sort of. Go on and brag about your kiddos all you want. Since I deal with the masses every day - 125-200 5th-8th graders depending on the day - it's great to have a chance to focus on the good kids for a change. We do have lots of good ones, but given the numbers who are in and out of my classroom every 43 minutes, it's sometimes hard to focus on them. Day 2 of low heart rate training. Too soon to tell, I know, but it seems to be working. I'm still pretty congested, but I managed to run 0.4 miles farther, at a pace about 30 seconds/mile faster than yesterday while staying within HR target ranges. Of course, "fast" is extremely relative, as I'm as STSP (Slower Than Slug Pace), but I'm going to stick with this without regard to pace just to see what I can do. It was a pleasure to come in at almost 7:00 and still see a little pink of the sunset in the sky. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

lswife

I like hearing about everyone's children's successes too. Good teens are a joy! Good kids whatever their age are a joy, too! I'm off the treadmill for at least one, if not two, weeks. My left foot was x-rayed today for a possible bone spur, but for the next week, I'm on anti-inflammatory meds for the pain. It's on my mid heel and goes up about an inch or two towards my ankle - not PF, and the doctor suspects some kind of bruise or muscle tear first, bone spur second. Even though I have the pain all the time, it gets worse after running/walking. However, it's getting to be crunch time for the 5K the first of May that I've been planning on. If I lay off for up to 2 weeks, that means I could be slower than slug speed. I'll hit the Y's weight machines to work out rather than on the TM. The snow and ice are disappearing so fast with the warmer temps, and close to 60 is expected by Thursday, and I was going to try the neighborhood roads. Oh well.
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings to all from scenic Beech Grove, IN. (just south of Indy) I'm here for the week to do a plant survey along with the company president. I'm learning a lot. he's been doing this stuff for almost 40 years, so there's a lot he knows. It took me a long time to try and find somewhere to run around here, being on a main road right by the interstate. did one course on map-my-run and then drove it to check and discovered no sidewalks on the main street for at least 1/2 mile. Just finished another and i think there's sidewalks and side streets the whole way. i should have gone when I finished work today, since we're so far west in the time zone it's light till after 8:00. oh well, I like running in the dark Roll eyes Roberta--guess it wasn't the shoes? sorry to hear that you're laid up for a while. try not to worry about the 5k, there will be others, or the world won't end if you end up walking parts of this one. I just found my GTS 7's on sale for 1/2 price at sports authority, so bought 2 pairs. woohoo, new shoes! now I just need to figure out how to keep them as pairs. different color laces, perhaps? I think the 1st pair will become my walking shoes and retire the first pair of GTS's. Need to do a little more work before bed--can't slack off when you're working with the president Wink happy Tuesday to all. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz, good luck with the LHR training! It will be interesting to see how it goes for you. Roberta, I hope you get back into running quickly! How frustrating. I'm already at slower than slug pace, so a lay-off probably wouldn't hurt me much! Wink Kevin, what kind of plant survey are you doing? I hope it goes well! I'm going to try for a long run tomorrow, if the predicted snow isn't worse than forecast (1 to 3 inches). We'll see! Teresa

Me

All right, I completely missed the new thread and posted on the old one. Sorry, Here it is for everyone. Hey Everyone, Sorry I've been somewhat absent lately. I have felt a little disconnected since I haven't been running. I tried a couple weeks ago and my AT let me know that it was there, so I'm still resting. I don't think it's my shoes, as they still have a few miles to go on both pairs. I think what did it was an intensive hill workout that I did when I visited my sister in Pittsburgh. I did enjoy the foam roller/pool noodle discussion. Cheers Mike
              Roberta - sorry about having to lay off with your foot problem. Mike - sorry, as well, that your AT still isn't behaving. It is kind of discouraging to post when you're not running, but I'm glad you both checked in to say hi. Smile I've been lurking, but not posting, on the daily because my running is in such a lull right now - it's hard to post "well, I crawled through 2.4 miles at slower-than-slug pace because I'm a mess right now and trying low HR training" amid all of the boomer gods and goddesses training for Boston and running a gazillion miles at lightning speed. Doc decided that the orthotics needed a little "tweaking" yesterday, so I may be without them for 2 weeks. Another reason to keep the mileage slow and steady and the pace slower and steady. Actually went to the gym today. I'm doing VRAA on kick, had some time between school and a class, so instead of caffeine and carbs at Barnes and Noble, I did a little sweating at Ballys'. I really HATE being in the gym - too hot, too noisy, too many TVs tuned to CNN and ESPN. It so makes me appreciate the ability to run outdoors even more. Kevin - be careful on/near the interstate! Off to my second elementary-school visit to meet and sing with 4th grade chorus kids tomorrow - the most fun I've had so far this school year! Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

btb1490

Hi friends! I needed to pop over here to see how everyone is doing. Smile jemmama- did you get your Noakes book? Regarding cootie bugs, if you are ever in Washington DC, there is a children's museum there with a HUGE cootie bug statue outside. It'll give you nightmares. Did you get a foam roller yet, or are you still noodling it? Wink Laurie- how are the new Mizuno's doing? I love Mizuno's, but what works for one person doesn't mean it'll work for another. Numb toes? Were they tied too tighly? Also, you should get a full size bigger than your street shoes, to allow for the flattening out of your feet. Very cool about going back to school! Good luck, I hope you enjoy it, and I hope it leads to something profitable! Was the mother's day Duathlon you did very windy that day? It often is, and that makes that race a killer. What was up with that ex-boyfriend of yours. Jealousy? You dont' have to answer, it just sounds strange and would've probably been toxic in the long run. lswife- sorry to hear your shoes didn't work out. I can't imagine what that pain is in that spot either. Finding just the right shoe is tough, but so very worth it. I hope you have better luck with the Brooks. Be good with that injury and do what you are supposed to do. There is still plenty of time to get ready for your May race, and there will always be others if that one doesn't work out. stumpy- found a "new used" hood. Funny! How'd it go, picking it up and installing it? I love Sports Authority! You can get some incredible deals there. Good luck with your week in Indiana. Keep icing! eliz- how are you feeling these days? Good luck with the low HR training plan, it sounds like a good fit for you. Anything that can keep you consistently running is a good thing. I like your timeline for giving it a chance to work. I'm with you on the gym scene, but sometimes it's a necessity. Good job heading there instead of the bookstore, that was a tough choice! Good luck with the tweaked orthotics. I'm heading back to my podiatrist next week probably for a complete makeover on mine. I love the sound of your upcoming date with the 4th grade kiddos. Still innocent at that age... dg- Sad You are missed! Teresa- did you guys end up running the 5K? Did I miss that somewhere? That is some speedy son you have there! Mike- Hills will definitely kill your achillies. Sounds like you could benefit from a foam roller as well. Ice, ice, ice and Advil! Keep us posted please, I know it's hard to want to stay in the loop when you're laid up, but everyone here would still enjoy hearing from you. Smile
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

btb, the 5k is coming up this Sunday. They're calling for rain, snow, and wind - whoo hoo! I made it 8.2 miles this afternoon, in 1:31:35. My pace time has gradually fallen from 12:04 minutes/mile for 6.5 miles to 11:10 minutes/mile for 8.2 miles, with no increase in perceived effort. Kind of cool! Now I have to take a shower before I pass out from the smell. Shocked Teresa
                  lswife

Thanks, btb.
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

howdy, folks. absolutely gorgeous spring day in Indy. I took advantage of the extended evening light and went out for a run this evening after work. Now I know why I run in the morning. my legs felt like crap after being on my feet for most of the day. And the stupid shins started up again. about half the run was on concrete sidewalks, so don't think that helped much. ice and Advil after. sure hope it really is that my shoes are on their way out (this was the last run with them before I switch to the new ones) so I think I'll take Friday off and hope things go better on Sunday. i did make it 3.4 miles, according to Map My Run. 37 minutes. too bad it hurt the whole way, it was a nice little run, mostly residential, with some nice rolling hills. and the first shorts run of the year! that was nice. teresa-- this is an LNG plant used to backup pipeline capacity that was built in the 70's and not terribly well maintained. we do a survey of what needs fixing (almost everything Smile ) or upgrading (same) and hope that the utility will hire us to do at least some of the work. kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Rindaroo

Morning all! Well I'm back from visiting my dad in LA & seeing Wicked too Smile it was awesome!! My dad is horrible shape, it is so sad Sad They have him doing hyperbaric treatments, and then I guess its evaluation to see whats next. I had my 6 month checkup with the allergist/asthma doc & as I suspected, my breathing is MUCHO better. yay! but, he didn't like my rationale for not running much. (cuz I'm afraid I'll get worse again). He says that I'm winning the battle against the asthma, but I won't win if I give in now. So, back to running... he encouraged me to start back at the beginning, since I've been having so many problems running the last few months. And if I continue to have problems after that, to come back & see him.. otherwise, I don't see him for a year. & he told me I DON't want to hear you haven't been running for a year. lol I love this kind of doc Smile So, I went back to my old running program - its a 10 week program & goes even slower than C25K. First week is 2min run/3 min walk 4 times.. so I went to the gym & did that yesterday. It actually felt really good! so on to new beginnings... Debbie - how are you? Roberta - ahh so sorry - that must really hurt. Hope you get better soon! Kevin - sorry the run was rough in the evening.. thats my preferred time, lol.. you are quite the traveler aren't you? Mike - good to see you! I know its hard to post when you're not running, but we still like to see how you are doing. Eliz - good luck with the LHR training. It seems to work for quite a few, I don't have the patience though... BTB - hey there! Gotta jet! Time to get ready for work & getting the kids to school.. cyl
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Rindaroo, I'm glad you're doing better! That's great you're getting started again. Hang in there - it's worth it! My runnin gpartner and I made it 4 miles this morning. I was happy that it wasn't that hard after my 8.2 miles yesterday. I may actually feel like a runner one of these days!
                            Wow. It sounds like were all doing fairly well. Linda, thats good news. What does he mean by starting over from the beginning? Bob, you are so cool. You ask about all of us. But tell us about your running and how you are doing. The duathlon was very windy. It killed me but for some odd reason Kim did well. I guess the wind didnt slow her down much. Theresa, youre doing great. What is your distance goal? Mike, are you resting or filling in with a different exercise while youre not running? Havent run since Sunday. So I will post again next time I run. About to fall asleep. Had a great night last night with a good friend :-) Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Just home from school and it's past my bed time already. Kids at one of my schools are doing "Bye, Bye Birdie," and I'm just home from the first show. Have to go again tomorrow because the leads are double-cast and I have kids in both. They did a good job, but I'm beat from being out so late another evening. Carpy run/walk yesterday. Managed 3.5 miles and even with all of the problems I had with them, I want my orthotics back! They were better even pre-tweaking than my makeshift ones are. Rest day today. Going to the gym between school and the show tomorrow evening. Then spring break next week - whoo hoo! I'm not actually getting much of a break - lots to do at home and lots of school work to do to get ready for the "music teacher marathon" of concert season. At least it'll be different kinds of work, and I'll be able to do part of it at the shore. And I'll only be up, dressed, and out of the house by 6:00 a.m. if I WANT to be. Linda - how did you like "Wicked?" I got the soundtrack because I'm doing a medley from it with one of my choirs (the reward they're getting for singing "artsy" music all year!) and I love it. Really would like to see the show. Teresa - you're a maniac! Getting in some terrific runs! Kevin - glad you got out in the twilight; sorry it was so painful. Gotta go pack the gym bag, or I'll spend the time between school and the show tomorrow drinking too much coffee and eating too many goodies at a bookstore somewhere. Happy Friday! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, guys, I AM loving it. Laurie, someone talked me into signing up for a half marathon in September. I'm rather terrified of the notion, but determined to go for it. I have to increase my distance by a half-mile every two weeks to get there. We'll see! Smile Teresa