Masters Running

newbies on DST (Read 418 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

DS and I ran a fun 5k yesterday. I broke my old PR by almost three minutes, and finished in 31:35! The first mile I ran in 9:48, which is faster than I've ever run a mile. DS finished in 16:56. He came in 12th out of 737 runners. He was third in his age group (15-18). I am so excited!! As encouragement to everyone, lots of slow, steady miles have really paid off for me. Consistency is the key. Now I have to work at PUSHING myself during a race - I don't really know how to do that. DS says you have to focus 110%.
    btb1490

Hi gang! I hope everyone is doing well. Seems there is a fair share of aches and pains going on out there. Sad Rindaroo- Gee, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I guess I don't know the whole story. I'm sure living in LA, he has some good doctors available. I agree about Wicked, that was the best show I've seen. Sounds like you have an awesome doctor too, encouraging you to run more. Good luck with your progress. Itching to get on a treadmill? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before! Smile Keep up the great work, you're off to an awesome start. Laurie- I figured you would have the wind at that duathlon. It wouldn't be the complete experiece there if you didn't! Some people just seem to slice through the wind like it's not even there, I guess Kim is one of those people. Did you try my suggestion of loosening the laces on your new shoes, or perhaps getting a bigger pair? eliz- I'll bet seeing your kids in Bye Bye Birdie was a lot of fun! Seeing it twice though... maybe not so much fun the 2nd time. You are a good supporter of your kids. When are your orthotics due back? I head to the podiatrist tomorrow again to get mine worked on. And you have to see Wicked! I don't know of anyone that didn't love it. That was a great quote from John Bingham, thanks for posting it. Teresa- cool about signing up for a half marathon. Plenty of time to get ready. You sound like you are being smart about your build up. Mike- cycling is a great exercise, and supplements/substitutes for running pretty well. Walking too, if you can. Swimming. All good stuff. jemmama- the cootie is/was at the Capital Children's Museum. I see they've been closed now for a while and will reopen again sometime in 2008. http://www.ccm.org/ I know it's tough to keep posting when you aren't running. But people here who may have the same problems as you could learn from your experiences, and my share some of their own that may help you. Please keep posting. Here is a great article about rehabbing your achillies: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0031.htm Eliz gave you some good sounding ankle exercises. Hang in there please! I'm glad you are going to get checked out. lswife- how are you? dg- WHERE are you? 5 weeks to go till Boston for me. Just gotta keep this body from falling apart in the meantime. Enjoy the rest of the day, gang!
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

BTB, I'd forgotten, or never knew, that you're planning on running Boston! Good luck! You'll be just a couple of hours south of me. It's funny, I still haven't come down off the high of the race yesterday, and I really need to, because I have a lot of work to do. I will have to schedule races more carefully! Wink DS was so exhausted that he slept most of the day and got up at 4 this morning to finish homework. He's more responsible than I am, sometimes!
          Just back from 3 days at the shore. Carpy weather, didn't do a whole lot, but I truly believe there's no bad weather at the beach, and the plan all along was to catch up on R&R, so all in all it was a greta trip. Scored 2 nice Nike tech shirts at the outlet in Atlantic City for $10 each, so that was a nice bonus. Got in some good workouts amid the lazing around on the sofa, too: Leisurely 1/2 mile walk on the boardwalk Sunday. 1-mile walk and 4.5-mile run on the boardwalk Monday. 10-mile bike ride on the mainland on Tuesday. 1-mile walk and 5-mile run on the boardwalk today. Had lunch at one of my favorite restaurants on Monday, St. Patty's day, and shortly after we sat down, a group of PIPERS AND DRUMMERS came in and played three songs before having their lunch. It was beyond thrilling! The fact that it was a complete surprise made it even better. So far, so good with the low HR training. I'm able to run between 2-1/2 and 5 minutes between walk breaks while still keeping HR within range. Could have probably gone longer, but since orthotics are still being "tweaked" and my shoes are about shot, I took it kind of easy. Had a message from the podiatrist's office that the orthotics are back, but doubt that I'll be able to pick them up before Monday. Best part is that running's less of a chore and more fun again - a definite bonus. Smile I think the crud has just about left my lungs - finally. It was very misty on the boardwalk today and breathing in all of that damp, salty air felt terrific. Linda - your new doc sounds like a keeper. Glad you found one who supports your running. Mike - I do have a bike carrier, but I never feel like I get the bike on it securely enough. After struggling so much riding in the flatlands of South Jersey yesterday, I think the real issue in not wanting to bring it home is fear and loathing of the hills here. I'm also a little nervous about the crazy traffic I'd face riding here in PA. I have the gym here for cross-training, so the bike's staying in NJ for now. Bob - the second time through the show wasn't nearly as pleasant as the first. I got stuck backstage most of the evening, trying to ride herd on the kids, and they were beyond wound up! I'm sooooo glad that we all have a break this week. I'm doing a medley from Wicked with the 7th & 8th grade choir, so I think the school should send me to NYC to see it for "research!" Wink Jem - glad you're going to have your AT checked out. How do you like the Nordictrak? I have this fantasy that if I were to invest in a piece of cardio equipment for home, that's what it would be. Teresa - whoo hoo! GRETA job on the 5K. You were smokin'! Thanks for the reminder about how those miles do lead to more than just . . . well, lots of miles. I'm taking this evening as my final opportunity of the week off to be totally lazy. Tomorrow it's back to cleaning, excavating junk out of my house, and starting to write lesson plans for the home stretch of the school year, which I fear is going to feel much more like a marathon than a 5K! Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com