Masters Running

Tuesday December 16 Master Runs and whatever ... (Read 475 times)

Great run Beerger!! Those sound like very nice running conditions. Very nice run for Peter too. Tim, that's the way to be optimistic!! I'm sending you lots of healing vibes. Six more weeks of pool running and then you can get back out there on the roads. I hope your recovery goes well. Holly, those are some nice intervals. I hope all that leg work pays off in your marathon. I feel like such a wimp when I read about your leg workouts! I've got to try some treadmill lunges. Windy, rainy and cooler here this morning. I ran 8 miles with some fartlek in the middle of some of them. What with the heavy wind gusting down near the ocean, I kind of bagged doing anything but surviving mile 6. I guess I committed the cardinal sin of running the last mile too fast, but I did jog about a quarter mile to cool down. 8 miles in 1:00:25 - a true PBJ special. Miles were 7:50; 7:45; 7:20; 7:24; 7:40 (into wind and up hill); 7:55 (just surviving into the wind); 7:20; 7:10. I actually did feel decent during this run so I guess Ribs has something there with the recovery run theory. Next time I will try 3 easy, per his suggestion, and perhaps that will be even better. Perch, not sure what to tell you about your tempo pace. I was thinking this morning that tempo is probably in the 7:00 range for me right now. I would be happy to finish a half at that pace.

Once a runner . . .

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dear taper king (45 days) - yay for signing up for the RnR. I'm sure hoping for a decent marathon for you. Maybe you can go all the way with aamos, erika, holly and the fast girls as, as a host city runner, I'm aiming for last place and sure don't want to be battling it out with you for the honors. - your taper buddie (17 days)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'd be estactic to finish a 5K at that pace!!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, you may start experimenting with a redesign of that interval workout, aiming toward keeping the recovery interval at no longer than a minute for all work sessions of 1,000 meters or less.
          Is it okay to walk during the recovery interval? If I could walk the entire minute, I could probably do a 1-minute recovery now, but if I aim at the slow jog I am doing, I believe I need to slow the paces somewhat. I swear the winter cold makes speed so much more difficult for me. These same paces were easier in October.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anachrotech

My intentions were to get another day of running in this week. I was knocked on my butt with the flu yesterday and still don't feel right today. Hopefully I can get a run in tomorrow. Good runs all.
            TammyinGP

Good Chilly Morning all. Woke up to temps in the teens, a light dusting of snow and icey roads this a.m. - not the norm for southern oregon. Schools were on a 2 hr delay, but I have much to work to do, so went into work and DH is taking DS to school this a.m. My plans for a lunchtime run were foiled when I was reminded about a luncheon for one of our attorneys today. This is her last week with us as she was elected to a judge position. I'm always up for a nice (read: free) lunch, but I also really was looking forward to a run today. If possible, I may leave work early so I can still run and get home at a normal dinner time. Depends on how productive I am today I guess. A friend loaned me a couple running books she has and one is Karnazes 50/50 book. I haven't started reading it yet, but last night I thumbed through it to find the part where he ran Deadwood so I could read about our Aamos. very cool! He wrote quite a bit about you Amy! I sort of chuckled at the part where you signed up to run with him as a favor to the RD because no one else had signed up. I'll have to tell my friend, Laura (whose book it is) that she'll be meeting you next summer. Tim - no worries on signing up when you aren't running. I did the same. I think that means we'll both have good luck. And I plan on running R&R slowly - I want to enjoy every minute of the race, so since it'll take me ALOT of minutes to finish it, I guess that means I'll have more fun than the fast peeps! Clowning around

Tammy

Mariposai

As for me, I am askeered to go out there! . Spareribs
                a penny penalty for that Big grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Holly, in that case I would adjust the times to run the work sessions a bit slower. What is your most recent fiveK time? You can work off that mpm pace and figure about 20 seconds per mile slower than that for these workouts. Tim whether you walk or jog to cool down it's the same thing. The idea is not to run one final full out mile and then go straight into your house. Let your HR recover gently and keep blood flowing to the muscles to aid in tomorrow's recovery. We have a masters runner in our club who runs 16 and change for the fiveK. He finishes all his long runs very fast, but he briskly walks a mile when he is done. I think that's great technique. In a hugh display of courage I donned one of those Asics skull cap hats, whatever they are called, and some tech gloves the Saint lent me and braved the elements. Once I got going I felt fine. 6.7 miles in all, and had the whole park to myself. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #3309

dear taper king (45 days) - Maybe you can go all the way with aamos, erika, holly and the fast girls
                    Tet, I understand we are stay'n in the same house...but geez, slow down there buddie Big grin Hey Tampster..since I am going to Seattle...what's your friends situation you mentioned before Wink Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

It's all relative Stumpy! Not too many years ago I ran a marathon at 6:30 pace so I'm feeling like a slowpoke these days. Anyone have any favorite running socks? My brother wants running socks for Christmas and has not specified a brand. I'm a Wrightsocks person myself, but does anyone have a recommendation for socks they love? Meg

Once a runner . . .

Meg, Thorlos. They last forever and are as comfortable as can be. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

What is your most recent fiveK time? You can work off that mpm pace and figure about 20 seconds per mile slower than that for these workouts.
                          I don't have a recent 5K time. My only race this season has been a 5-miler on Thanksgiving, which I ran in 42:02 (8:25), nearly 3 minutes slower than this race last year.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mornin', Gang - Lois - Hope you feel better soon. Lots of folks have been getting hit by the flu bug around here. Undecided Some great runs out there this a.m. Nice job, everyone! Holly - Thanks for the link re the Bulgarian squats, or whatever they're called. I did those regularly when I was doing The Firm workouts, but had forgotten about them. Will begin incorporating them into my strength training again. Lots and lots of leg work ahead of me soon so that I'm better prepared for all the climbing at Pirates Cove in March. Tim - Have you tried the Benedryl to see if it helps your tolerance of the chlorine? I looked at our frozen deck this a.m., and instead of "embracing the suck," as Evryday so eloquently put it over on the 40s+ thread, I went back and embraced my warm bed for another hour and a half.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I second the Thorlos - I love mine. Tim - What I learned is that she has a boyfriend of 5 yrs, but it's a long distance relationship (they live over an hour apart and just see each other on weekends), but she really hasn't been interested in maintaining the relationship for quite some time now and I anticipate she'll be breaking it off. She actually dreads the weekends that it's her turn to drive there and just vents to me on the weekends he's here because he gets frustrated with her wanting to go for a run when he's here. I'm not sure why she is even continuing it at this point - habit maybe? not sure.

Tammy

dg.

Tim whether you walk or jog to cool down it's the same thing. The idea is not to run one final full out mile and then go straight into your house. Let your HR recover gently and keep blood flowing to the muscles to aid in tomorrow's recovery. We have a masters runner in our club who runs 16 and change for the fiveK. He finishes all his long runs very fast, but he briskly walks a mile when he is done. I think that's great technique. In a hugh display of courage I donned one of those Asics skull cap hats, whatever they are called, and some tech gloves the Saint lent me and braved the elements. Once I got going I felt fine. 6.7 miles in all, and had the whole park to myself. Spareribs
                                SR thanks for this. I've been wondering about the same thing. you're wonderfully brave. Tammy, I finished the 50/50 book just this morning. I was happily surprised to find Aamos in there! Holly, very nice job. Anachrotech... get better! and a word of caution. I did just what you're thinking about, & was knocked flat again.