Masters Running

Windy and Warm last day of January ....... (Read 500 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Geez, guys --- I do wear a sports bra!  And I went out in a long sleeved shirt, which was just too much after the first 2 miles, so I took it off and tied it around my waist. (No, I won't be paying Ribs a fine.)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Yesterday there were hardly any posts and today too!  What is going on?  Confused  I know I have not been around much either.  But I have been on the road for the past 10 days or so.  Yesterday was my last trip (down and back to DC) until . . . the end of next week.  Roll eyes  Then it is back in a plane to head off to a conference.

biketm take care and get that back taken care of ASAP.  If there is one thing I know, age does not make any medical treatment go better.

Dave59 well that is pretty much the same weather as I am looking at today!

roachrunner if you made it up there I suspect your skis would turn brittle and shatter!  I still cannot imagine -50°!

fatozzig ah the joys of having a cat! I do miss having the little pests around.

wildchild it sure is going to be tough for the ski conditions in the Rockies to improve with weather like that!

shadowrunner this is sure nice weather here in the northeast!  In a parking lot I heard somebody gushing over it and I cannot say I am sorry about it either!

I made it out for 7 miles this morning.  Way back then it was not quite so warm so off I went in long pants, a long shirt and a vest.  Pretty much properly dressed for what was mid-30° temperatures.  Now it is 54°!  Just amazing!

On a non-running topic tonight I am going to make my first ever stuffed poblano chiles.  Why?  Well I saw this great recipe on a cooking show and thought it would be great to make it.  However, that recipe was really complicated and exceedingly high in calories (think adding a pile of heavy cream to the chilies!) so I looked up some other recipes.  I found one that looks like it is reasonably easy and not too many calories so that is what I am going with.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Just got here, Philadelphia, balmy weather.  This morning back in Dallas it was low 60's.  Ran 5 miles, sluggish.  So i have 27 miles in the first 3 days of this week. I'll run city streets tomorrow before work.

on flight from DFW here the flight attendant was a guy I used to coach.  We had a lot of laughs on the plane, made the trip go by fast.  Spareribs

OrangeMat

MM #6177

On a whim, I signed up for a Super Hero 4-mile race this coming Sunday, which is Super Bowl Sunday. When I picked up the packet last night, I asked if people will be wearing costumes, and was told they're expected to do so. So off I went this afternoon to our friends' party store to find something suitable. I ended up with a girls' size L Super Girl outfit, complete with detachable cape and boot covers. Unfortunately, I won't be able to wear the boot covers, since my calves are NOT little girl sized... Trying on the ensemble for DD, she almost fell off her bed laughing, saying I looked so stupid!! Though I'm more concerned about the fact that the care tag on costume says "do not wash, do not dry clean".

I hear there's beer after the race. That's all I care about. Big grin

Rest day today, with a PT chaser. Seems I've sprained (or is it strained?) my shoulder doing all the pushups and ball knee-tucks there. Figures that would happen to me, getting injured at rehab...

aka FlyingFinn

twocat, please share that recipe and tell us how the stuffed chilis turn out!

I wore my  flats just for fun today and did 7 miles with 5 at tempo, the 5 averaged 8:25. Last week I tried starting at 8:15's and that didn't work very well, so this week I thought I'd start in the :30's and speed up at the end. My miles were :31, :26, :28, :28, :13. That's plodding to most of you but to me it was delightful, compared to my usual plodding.  I could have gone a lot farther at the slower end paces, not much farther at the faster mile pace.

So warm out there today, and the days are noticeably longer now. What a gift  to be able to run outside in yellow shoes with sparkly laces.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

That ain't plodding.  I'm getting ready to go to yoga class!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #957

Orange Mat - we need pictures!  Sounds like fun!   Smile

48 degrees here this morning, although with lots of wind, but it still felt lovely and springlike. 

5 easy-paced miles at 10:05.

Today is DS's birthday - he's 15 now!  I can hardly believe how quickly he has grown from adorable boy to man-cub....

Work is hopelessly busy this week, and the conference I went to has "homework" projects that are due the next 3 Fridays, so I am doing an hour and a half webinar at home to learn a new software for this week's project.

Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Twocat - I have 6 (we've official adopted Harry the Deck Dweller, although he won't let us touch him).  Want one?  Nah - I couldn't give any of the buggers up, even when they fight or spray things.  That's our stupidity for taking in 4 males of the same age.  Everyone trying to dominate.  I have no idea how old Harry is (although he looks about 102), and Zig 9 or 10 and he couldn't care less about the others so long as food is available.

Wildchild - I don't think Ribs would fine the wimmin for runnin' with a shirt tied around their waist if they're runnin' shirtless at the same time.

OM - Don't wash and don't dry clean?  How do they clean the things??  And yes, pics are absolutely necessary.

Good luck with the homework, Holly, and Happy Birthday to your Man-Cub.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Wildchild - I don't think Ribs would fine the wimmin for runnin' with a shirt tied around their waist if they're runnin' shirtless at the same time.

who knows . . . ribs might even be up for PAYING the wimmen to do that!

Tammy

Ilene, congrats on the half with PR last weekend.  Dove, good job on the 20 mile race 4 weeks after a 100 mile race.  enke, I hope your daughter has shaken the stomach bug.  opie, nice half (with leg pain).  Holly, happy birthday to your son.

Nice long runs for OM, Mike, and Tramps.

This morning, the temp looked pretty good but the roads were icy last night so I did the TM.  I got in 9 miles at an average pace of 10:22.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

piejones

Shirtless running in Jan?  Gee, a tough group.  Erika, hope you got those pipes unthawed with no damage. 

2 easy miles this afternoon. 

evanflein

Piejones, yeah, a small space heater and covering the area with visqueen did the trick. We had running water within a couple hours with no pipe damage. Whew! Dodged a bullet on that one!

The warm weather/winter some of you are having just seems so unfair, with us having set all sorts of cold records in November, and the last half of December and virtually all of January have been colder than normal. Our January will be one of the coldest in the records, and that's without setting any daily records. Bleh, just tired of it. At least were getting more daylight every day; it's still twilight when we leave work after 5!

7.2 miles on the treadmill tonight, including 3 half mile repeats at 8:00 pace, and 3 x 100 m "striders" in the last couple miles. I figure .12 to .13 mile is about 100 meters, or close enough. First attempt at any sort of speedwork since the first week of January and my legs were done after that. I'd like to start getting some speed and distance back, but need to ramp up slowly I know...

Hey, we might have enough of a warm up this weekend that an outdoor run will happen!

SteveP

On a whim, I signed up for a Super Hero 4-mile race this coming Sunday, which is Super Bowl Sunday. When I picked up the packet last night, I asked if people will be wearing costumes, and was told they're expected to do so. So off I went this afternoon to our friends' party store to find something suitable. I ended up with a girls' size L Super Girl outfit, complete with detachable cape and boot covers. Unfortunately, I won't be able to wear the boot covers, since my calves are NOT little girl sized... Trying on the ensemble for DD, she almost fell off her bed laughing, saying I looked so Stupendous!! .

FIFY

SteveP

aka FlyingFinn

Hi pie!

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver