Masters Running

Thu Nov 20 Runs, Nonruns, Workouts and Nonworkouts (Read 668 times)

5 miles on the treadmill at 7:59 mile pace. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
    wildchild

Carolyn

Hi JDMom! You sure are speedy, even when injured. That's so not fair! What's with all the fat talk today??? Isn't it OK to fatten up a little during the winter to keep warm? It's probably in our genetic makeup - why fight it? Big grin (OK, I'll shut up now - I haven't gained any weight, so I have no right to tease.) Arf, sorry to hear about the bike crash. I hope your ribs heal up quick. But I'm happy to hear your DD is home from Germany! Holly - hope you enjoy the new puppy! We usually get puppies in the summer, though, because you can leave them outside when you can't watch them every minute in the house, before they're potty trained. Have you gotten a pup in the winter before? I didn't wimp out at lunch - I braved the cold and went for a 5.5 mile wave run, avg pace 10:07, with miles 2 and 4 at 8:59 and 9:24. It's about 32 degrees, so balmy by Fairbanks standards. Actually not bad out, after the first mile or so. I'm not sure if the sproink is because I took yesterday off, or because I had to speed up to get warm! Either way, I'll take it.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Yay! jdmom3 is back! I have been having the hardest time finding a few minutes to read and post. I actually composed a post yesterday, then got interrupted at work (Grrr) and never finished. So I canceled out of that and will try again on today's thread. Unless maybe I really did post it, in which case I apologize for repeating myself. (I just counted and I have 39 windows open on my PC right now, and that doesn't even count multiple tabs on my browsers). I sometimes get myself very confused with all this multi-tasking. For Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, I did 6, 6, 7 miles. Yesterday Lou was doing a slow recovery run and we met up for the last half mile. I caught up to him and we finished together, which was more like tempo pace or maybe even a little faster for me. Today was sorta GA pace at 9:45. Dear-old-Dad was released from the hospital Monday so I've been able to get back to work, leaving him in the capable hands of the nursing staff at his facility. After four pints of blood, he's doing better, but since he's not in any shape to withstand GI diagnostics or treatments, we don't know what the underlying cause of the bleeding is and can't fix it. It doesn't look good, and he's at end-stage Parkinson's disease anyway which really really sucks all on its own. My poor daddy. I'm so thankful that he hung in there for our big family reunion last month. We have some very nice memories and photos of what will likely be our last gathering with him. We've got about half of our extended family on facebook now, and it's a great way to keep in touch. I love seeing photos posted of everyone, especially the new babies in the family.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

TammyinGP

my deep dark secret is I sometimes peruse through photos on PDR's page because I think they have such a beautiful and happy looking family. Loved the pics from the reunion. Smile that doesn't make me weird does it? It's not like I'm a stalker . . . No fat talk from me today. In fact, I won't even mention that I've lost 3 lbs and my pants are loose.

Tammy

TammyinGP

ok, now that I read that . . . that sounds weird. I'll know if PDR thinks it's weird too if she blocks me on FB Confused

Tammy

lamerunner

Hi Meg: You're back!! Great to "see" you. I too think of you when running in wind. I was down in your neighborhood a few weeks ago helping my mom our after surgery. I did one nice run on the beach at Back Bay Wildlife Refuge. The last two months though I have had major problems with my sciatic nerve; sprung up two weeks from a marathon, compromised my time and has still not gone away. I was running with it ( it was remotely feasible) until about two weeks ago when I could no longer run more than five minutes without limping. So other very minor warm up jogs with the XC kids I coach, I have not been running. Elliptical, cycling and swimming. I am frustrated to say the least. PT is not getting the job done. Sorry to hear about your running troubles but I see you are still speedy ! Hope your kids are well. lame (very)

Marathon Maniac #3309

TimBo - if you dare run before you are cleared to do so, you will SO get a Can of Whoop Ass taken out on you. You need to be strong and healthy for next June, so don't do something stoopid. Besides you have a nonrunning competition to win here. Focus Man!!
                That's about the same tone Erika uses on me, when I'm about to do something boneheaded....I am extremely hurt Roll eyes Back to my room Timmy

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

{{{PDR and D-O-D}}} You are a wonderful daughter and I'm sure he's very proud of you and happy to have had the time with you, too! StalkerTammy... nah, that just doesn't work. If she didn't want you looking at them, she wouldn't put them out there! 30 minutes on the elliptical today at lunch with DH. Nice to have him come along... well, I needed him to take me there anyway! Strange little stripped down version of our athletic club... no showers, not even any towels so I brought my own. Changing rooms have one chair, no hooks, no coat hooks for your coat (in Fairbanks... in winter?), lockers on the other side of the room from changing room, one clock on the wall that you can't see from the cardio or weight area... just strange. I've sort of been dealing with it, but it was his first time there and lots of grousing about they should've done and isn't it stupid how they did this, etc. Roll eyes Oh well. At least he went and got a workout done. Even if he complained that my cologne I put on afterwards should be called "Feral Cat." geez.
                    ok, now that I read that . . . that sounds weird. I'll know if PDR thinks it's weird too if she blocks me on FB Confused
                    Not weird. Really. I'm making a photo book of some of the photos using MyPublisher for family Christmas presents this year. And I put together a DVD slide show with music for dad. He doesn't see well, but we could play the DVD on a big-screen TV and he can see if I put him right up to the TV. Lou and my brother have very nice cameras and they both take really good photos.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Mariposai

wishing for free time here so I can look at PDR's album. {{arf}}} let us have a chat one of this nights sistahh...hopefully that won't hurt the ribs more. erika...calm down...all this shall past... Wink. Butterfly hugs to you today and always. It is raining here, off to a run between classes...these 12 hour shifts kills me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

my deep dark secret is I sometimes peruse through photos on PDR's page because I think they have such a beautiful and happy looking family. Loved the pics from the reunion. Smile that doesn't make me weird does it? It's not like I'm a stalker . . .
                        Hmmm....just when I was beginning to think joining Facebook would be a good idea, along comes this confession. Wink {{{PDR, and DoD}}} Ok Ladies, especially Nono...you all cracked me up today. Pissing rain out there. Went to gym, 3 miles on TM (until I couldn't stand it anymore), 3 miles outside and thankfully it wasn't raining too hard during that segment, then 1 more mile on the TM. 7 total. I wanted to do more by my hammie started to get tight and it felt like something was going to pull. I still can't stretch it out properly whilst the lower back is still a bit tight. I need a rest day. Maybe that will help.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Even if he complained that my cologne I put on afterwards should be called "Feral Cat." geez.
                          Okay - I just about blew water out my nose and all over my keyboard. And just 'cause it's so pretty: "Lenticular clouds, technically known as altocumulus standing lenticularis, are stationary lens-shaped clouds that form at high altitudes, normally aligned at right-angles to the wind direction.These clouds are formed by so-called 'mountain waves' of air created by strong winds forced over high mountains. Then they hang over the mountains like alien 'motherships' ... Mount Rainier, in Washington, produces some of the most spectacular lenticulars. "

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Lenticular clouds, that is a new word under my belt. 6 miles over easy. Just as the sun was playing hide an go seek with the clouds. Just lovely.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tet, serious question. Not to be mean or harsh what so ever ok...as I consider you to be a really good guy and funny, and very good with words! But with many on the injuried reserve list that want to run BADLY, like me - Erika - Twocat, and others. Why do you "not"run everyday. I would die to be able to run one mile right now, and you are happy and content with "not" running. I mean...don't you like running? I guess I don't get it when someone is capable to run, but just doesn't Ok, I am in a VERY pissy mood too tonight, and just venting. And tet, please don't take this the wrong way at all.......please I am losing my mojo X training as I seemed to have given too much to Mary...Mary, you are so sweet, but can I borrow some mojo back. Non running really really sucks, and it really hit me hard today. I'm sorry, really really sorry. I feel like I have lost something sooo dear to me... running, enjoy the gift people! Not to be a bummer, but my foot feels worse than it ever has...and I have been a good camper...but geez, why not just run it off like I normally do??? Twocat, would you please shoot me a quick Email at...biketm42 at webtv dot net..I have a few questions I would like to ask you about AT recovery...anyone else if you have any tips or suggestions. Twocat, 3 months off with AT...OK don't want to think bout that one. T

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Hugs to you, TimBo! Sorry you're having such a hard time. We're all addicted to running, and sympathize with what you're going through.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.