Masters Running

Thursday - 4/23 - The day after Wednesday (Read 35 times)

Dave59

Hey!

I lost a tough argument with myself this morning. I wanted to stay in bed but I got up and did the 5:00 AM trail run. 5.49 miles for me. (I was tired so I skipped a portion that would have given me 6.)  Cold kept the numbers down.  Just 4 of us today.  Starbucks after the run.

29° and a few light snow flakes in the air. I broke my vow not to unpack my winter running gear.  I have been doing ok in shorts at this temperature but today it was dark, damp, breezy, and cold so I got some scissors and opened the box with "sweaters and winter running gear".  It was much more comfortable in running pants.

People around here must think that April snow isn't as slippery as January snow. The list of accidents in this morning's traffic report on the radio was pretty long.  I'm glad I don't have to commute anywhere.

Interesting thing on the trails today. The snow wasn't sticking to the dirt, but it was sticking to roots. That made them all stand out like someone went through and painted them all white.  Made it a lot easier not to trip and fall.

mta - We did have S'mores frappuccino samples today.  Tasted good but I still prefer hot black coffee.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Dave.  29°F would have made me get out the long pants, too.  Saw highlights of the Detroit game and it was funny to see baseball being played in the snow.

A balmy 42°F for me this morning.  Bright sunny day after a night of rain.  A speck over 5 at 9:30 pace.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Mornin' Dave, and everyone to follow.

I'm glad that you won the argument this morning, Dave. 29F and snowflakes just isn't shorts weather to me - I'm also glad that you were more comfortable on today's run. Looks like there is sucky weather all over the country, based on some of yesterday's reports. Bummer.

Nice 8-ft. workout yesterday, Stumpy.

Good recovery run, C-R. Have fun in Nashville. It looks like good recovery runs or rest for most of Monday's marathoners.

It's too bad that you've got your half coming right on the heels of Boston, Mariposai. But you are so well organized, and always prepared, so I imagine your race will be a great one again this year. How are your registration numbers looking vs. last year?

Loved your definition of a bureaucrat, Slo:  "Another meeting for some walking trails in unused property belonging to the school district. Sitting in the meeting listening to the fantastic idea's that were being put forth it dawned on me...the bureaucrat sees first the reasons why these idea's won't work. The next thing they want to do is hire an "expert" to make it completely unaffordable." I hope you can keep those bureaucrats away from your trail projects.

I'm sure Amy will appreciate your support, Leslie, as well as that of everyone else in your office. Tough times, indeed.

5.9 RW miles at the regular time this morning. It was about 39F with a significant breeze from the SW. I found that my legs were somewhat mushlike this morning and they threw up their hands (toes?) when I tried to push the pace a bit. Must have something to do with the delivery we got at work yesterday: 42 master cartons (4 smaller cartons in each)of  toothbrushes, all of which had to be brought in from the delivery truck, and some of which had to be carried up to our second floor. I must have made 15-20 trips up and down the stairs. No wonder my legs said "forgeddaboutit" out there this morning. I'm going to try to stay off the stairs today...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Morning.

Way to get out there guys. After all my meetings and the 5 hours drive I didn't much feel like getting out there but managed a 3.5 to wake up and get ready for the day. Wonderful day here in the 40s and sunny right now with more to come. I forgot how nice it is to run as the sun rises in spring when everything is so green and the blooms are out. Ok - enough of that or you will all think I have a sensitive side.

I agree Dave - give me a strong cup o Joe.

I can see why you were a bit sluggish Jay. That's quite a workout.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Good morning Dave, Kevin, Jay, Norm and all to follow. Sounds like we're all having the same kind of weather today. 29° here this morning as well. At least the wind has died down a little, though it's supposed to go back up to steady 15-20 mph later today. A good reason to get out the door early! My goal was 7 miles but somehow only ended up with 6.5 - in long pants, gloves and a headband - which I also had to dig back out of the "winter running gear" box  Our new house is right across the street from a golf course, and as I'm typing I can see carts going down the path that runs next to the road. Wow - those guys must be freezing their a#@ off!

Sounds like everyone is working all of their kinks out from Boston last Monday. I don't know about the papers in your towns, but the crappy one we have here gave Boston one dinky paragraph and a small picture. That was it. Yet the Brewers, who are off to the worst start ever are all over the front page of the sports section. Go figure...

Hope it's warm and sunny where you are today!

Slo

Dave...I won the argument I had with myself and stayed in bed. Left the window open last night. Temps dropped to 29. I was perfectly happy to stay snuggled up under the blankents for another 90 minutes.

In other words, I have no run to report.

Hey...no wind today!

Marathon Maniac #957

Interesting thing on the trails today. The snow wasn't sticking to the dirt, but it was sticking to roots. That made them all stand out like someone went through and painted them all white.  Made it a lot easier not to trip and fall.

That would look pretty cool.....

I haven't actually packed away my winter gear yet, but that's just because I haven't had time.  I will likely do the winter/summer clothes switch this weekend.

4 easy-paced miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

It's not only the day after Wednesday, it's also Shakespeare's birthday.  Also his death day, I might add.

Any of you remember Fred Urie?  Or fredurie?  He posted a pic of traffic in the snow yesterday on FB, a lot of snow. Some funny weather around lately.

I have this theory that the longer the weather guys talk the day before about the severity of the coming weather, the less severe it will turn out to be. Sure enough, after all their longwinded warnings all day yesterday on TV and radio, we had a brief T'storm last night and that was it.

Ran a slow 4 recovery and the Saint did 8 at a good pace in the park today.  Now I have the rest of the day off so I think I'll go buy some running shoes.   Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

I never put winter or summer running clothes away -- I'm just as likely to run in shorts in February as I am to run in long pants in June.  Well, okay, probably I don't ever wear long pants in July or August, but the rest of the months it can snow here.

I did a nice 15 mile trail run yesterday down in Boulder, where it's shorts weather.  Today I have to go to the airport to pick up DH, who is finally coming home from Greece!  He stayed an extra two weeks after I came home, to go rock climbing.  I'll do a trail run down in town on my way to the airport.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

29 deg would have made me stay in bed, not contemplating running pants vs running shorts. . .

will go for about 3 tempo miles today after work, then tomorrow is rest, Saturday is 30K trail run. http://www.lctrailruns.com/LostCreek/about.shtml if anyone is bored. 

David ran a meet yesterday and chose the 1500 and 800 for this one. Friday's meet he'll run his usual 3000m. although had he chose to run the 3000 yesterday he would have easily won as the 1st place guy was 11 minutes something.   David's 1500 was 4.49 which tied his PR. and his 800 was 2.26 which was a 2 sec PR.

Tammy

evanflein

Just love to see how David is coming along! Have fun at your race, Tammy! 30k sounds like a good distance.

Like Carolyn, I don't ever really pack the long pants/sleeves away but do have them in a drawer that doesn't get opened much in the summer months. You never know when we'll get cool overcast weather for days on end so the long sleeves come in handy. I just start reaching into the shorts drawer more often!

Sorry about the carpy weather so many are having. And yes, Ribs, I notice that the more they warn about the weather, the more it turns out to be a "that's it?" experience. But we have had some snow warnings that certainly came true this year! Our weather is just going to steadily improve over the next week or so. It was about 29° this morning but heading to mid-50's with sunny skies. Rinse and repeat pretty much thru the weekend, and we could see 60's! Woot! I just hope it continues through next Saturday when we have our first series race, a 5k that's pretty flat but narrow bikepaths and lots of turns. It's all about getting yourself in a pretty good position in the first mile cuz then you can get boxed in pretty badly by the kids that take off like a shot and then slow down.

Easy 5-6 miles on tap for later this afternoon. Would sure be nice to get out there before 5 today... DH comes home from DC tonight.

I agree with Dave and T.S. Eliot: "April is the cruelest month." After she teased us with last weekend's perfect Spring weather, she turns around and we're back in winter again. Or maybe it's like Lucy and the football?

Anyway, not much loss as after my setback I have to go back to where I was about 6 weeks ago and start ramping up slowly. Yesterday I did a mile at a 60:00 pace. Oh yeah, that was swimming in the pool! But today was a good day for an easy run on the treadmill at the gym, and it felt pretty good for the 30 minutes that I gave it at a 11:30 pace.

Maybe another run outside this weekend, but I actually find that I'm pretty stiff in any case when it's that cold outside, so have to take it extra easy. Glad to hear that it's nice in Fairbanks, anyway!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Quick flyby until later ~

The question seems to be, will David get an athletic scholarship or education (the term?) scholarship - or both?  That boy is a rising star, for certain.

Jay - Dang, son!  You had quite the workout yesterday.  If I were your legs, I would've rebelled this morning, as well.

I'm glad Dave lost the argument.

50 min of stat biking this a.m. with 6 x 2 min hard in the middle. . . . How come the hard mins go by so much slower than the recovery minutes?  I think it's a conspiracy of some sort.

Later ~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Now that I'm back home and somewhat recovered, I'll have to get back to my normal posts.  Dave, I like the title of today's thread.  wild, good job on the 15 trail miles.  Tammy, nice racing for David.

I did scan the dailies while I was gone, and will comment on a couple.  Tammy, you mentioned seeing the special about Venice and it's problems with increasing water levels and sinking buildings.  We saw may instances of water lapping at doorways and signs of high water marks above that.  On our gondola ride, our gondolier said that people don't live on the ground floor and some ground floors are used for what he called "boat garages".  Our hotel was in a ways from any canals, but the ground floor was not used for rooms, or even the hotel counter where you check in and out.  We did go to restaurants and shops that were on the ground floor.

Karin, you asked about where we went in Switzerland.  My wife's grandfather was from a small village called Wasen.  I understand there are other places called Wasen.  This one is near Sumiswald and is located about 2/3 of the way from Zurich to Bern.  It looks to be 30 to 40 miles from Zurich.  On our drive, I saw signs for Lucerne.  It looks like Wasen is about 20 miles west of Lucerne.

Yesterday, I ran 5 miles on an indoor track in Saginaw.  My wife had an appointment in Saginaw and the track was good since I've been having some bathroom issues and was glad for the bathrooms at the facility.  For the same reason, I did the TM this morning.  I got in 5 miles, with numerous bathroom stops.  My pace today was 10:41.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

I never pack up anything (in a normal year). But I was instructed to pack up what I don't need so we can reduce the clutter and make the house show better.  I didn't think I would need running pants anymore this year.

I was wrong.