Masters Running

Thursday -- Anyone going to start it? (Read 527 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Boy, today's daily started out with a whimper...  but it seems to be picking up steam.

Jeanne, nice that you can run from your new place to the Y.  Are you enjoying the new house?  As much as I hate moving, it's still kinda fun to live in a new place.

No run yesterday - it was raining in town and snowing at home. We got another 4" of snow overnight.  Hoping for a RAL or RAW if the rain lets up at work.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Good morning friends. The interview went really well, and I was told I'd be getting a call today. It's a very small store, totally a mom & pop kind of place, nothing like the Roadrunner Sports conglomerate that's just down the highway from here. One of the managers (Aidan) is the coach of the Thursday tempo workout that I like so much, a 30-y.o. Olympic hopeful who is just the nicest guy. He was there when I dropped off my resume on Tuesday, and so when I spoke with Beth last night (one of the other managers), she said Aidan was so thrilled that I was applying, in that I was exactly what they were looking for! So if that's not good feedback, I don't know what is....

Oh, what I wore: black skinny jeans tucked into flat black leather boots with silver buckles and an elbow-length scoop-neck white top, silver hoop earrings and no necklace. Clean, simple lines so as not to distract, not sloppy nor overly formal. The high school kids who came in for their interviews were in jeans and sweats. But then again, they're not up for the assistant manager position... The schedule is flexible and one Saturday a month is required, not horrible at all. They're all about outreach and community projects, for HS track kids as well as the running club I belong to. This is a community, not just a retail establishment, based on the running lifestyle; what more could I want? Smile

I did tell them I'd be out of commission for at least a week or two, and that wasn't a problem. There was no discussion of salary. I have no formal experience in retail but I do enjoy the service industry, well, the few stints I've been in it, so that's good. So we'll see!

It's sunny out now but thunderstorms are expected for the late afternoon. I have plans to run with the ladies at 4:30 since the tempo workout is off for tonight (Aidan is going to CA for a race this weekend: 5 hours flying for 4 minutes of running!). So of course I'm heading out to run a couple miles on my own now... just can't enough... Clown

Mike, you're doing a Ragnar, how cool!! You'll love it!

Have a great day, all!

jtv

That's a kind heart jtv.

Does your vet do this pro-bono or do you pay for it too?

We have some ferrals in our neighborhood. Our big Tom got tangled up with one and contracted the Feline Leukemia. Our local vets won't do the shots and spay/neuter pro bono...only put the animal down.

Thanks.  Our vet doesn't do it pro-bono either, so it comes out of our pocket.  Another vet has regular low cost spay/neuter clinics that the charitable organization we volunteer for takes the cats to, so at least it's a tax write-off.   Our cats are strictly indoors, (DW even keeps all doors locked at all times) to prevent something like what happened to your Tom

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh, OM, that job is totally yours!!   I imagine your salary will go right back the store anyway, with new shoes and clothing coming home with you instead.  Wink

We took in two feral cats last summer after a local no-kill shelter had them fixed and shots updated.   Now there is only one that still comes around and he/she hangs out in our garage most of the time.   Not as skittish as he used to be and will sit and look at me while I talk to him, but that it about it. 

JLynne - a big ass burrito will do just that to me if I eat them too often.   Luckily it is not my favorite food.   How great that you can run to to the Y and back!!

Conversation yesterday has me contemplating a run home as it is just about 10 miles.   The roads are not very pedestrian friendly though.   I'll have to think about that once the puppies are gone.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh, what I wore: black skinny jeans tucked into flat black leather boots with silver buckles and an elbow-length scoop-neck white top, silver hoop earrings and no necklace. Clean, simple lines so as not to distract, not sloppy nor overly formal.

Wow!  Sounds like I'm going to have to start buying my running shoes in New Jersey!

maine, congrats to your son.  Mike, I hope your granddaughter heals quickly.  OM, it sounds like you've got a job.  I expect you will enjoy dealing with runners and that they will enjoy dealing with you.  holly, I hope your first day at your new job is going/went well.

Nice long runs for Mike, holly, breger, CNY, evan, and mari.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and almost calm.  It had rained overnight and more was predicted.  It looked like it was going to be real light so I went outside.  I lucked out as it never rained a drip while I was out.  I did 5 miles in enough under 49 minutes for a 9:45 pace.  A highlight was a whiff of lilac during the run.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

I wish TomS was my running partner. We almost always run the same paces.

I got in my 10 miler last night also, but not nearly as speedy (or quite as long as my overachieving PNW galpals), as Nancy and Erika. 10 miles in1:37:45. Felt good right up to the end.

Mike E - how very cool that you were invited to a relay! You'll have such a blast. . . . a grill and fishtacos at the finish Hermosaboy?? wow, that's what I call relaying in style! 

Mary - a beer and two margaritas!? wow, that would've had me spinning for hours!

OM, it sure does sound like you have that job in the bag. and how perfect for you?!!

rest day today after 3 days of running. Donating my AB- this afternoon.

Tammy

jtv

Wow!  Sounds like I'm going to have to start buying my running shoes in New Jersey!

hey Mike - greta idea.  OM how far are you from mile marker 32 of the GSP Big grin

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

OM - hope you get an employee discount.

5th day in a row of rainy weather - so I did a little lifting, followed by 10 miles on the treadmill in the cardio cinema.  The Last Drop was the movie.  The volume was low, so I was just as confused about the story as the actors seemed to be.

King of PhotoShop

I haven't been around here much but if the women are going to provide descriptions of sexy outfits I'm going to make this a habit!  You rock OM!  Spareribs

Good morning friends. The interview went really well, and I was told I'd be getting a call today. It's a very small store, totally a mom & pop kind of place, nothing like the Roadrunner Sports conglomerate that's just down the highway from here. One of the managers (Aidan) is the coach of the Thursday tempo workout that I like so much, a 30-y.o. Olympic hopeful who is just the nicest guy. He was there when I dropped off my resume on Tuesday, and so when I spoke with Beth last night (one of the other managers), she said Aidan was so thrilled that I was applying, in that I was exactly what they were looking for! So if that's not good feedback, I don't know what is....

Oh, what I wore: black skinny jeans tucked into flat black leather boots with silver buckles and an elbow-length scoop-neck white top, silver hoop earrings and no necklace. Clean, simple lines so as not to distract, not sloppy nor overly formal. The high school kids who came in for their interviews were in jeans and sweats. But then again, they're not up for the assistant manager position... The schedule is flexible and one Saturday a month is required, not horrible at all. They're all about outreach and community projects, for HS track kids as well as the running club I belong to. This is a community, not just a retail establishment, based on the running lifestyle; what more could I want? Smile

I did tell them I'd be out of commission for at least a week or two, and that wasn't a problem. There was no discussion of salary. I have no formal experience in retail but I do enjoy the service industry, well, the few stints I've been in it, so that's good. So we'll see!

I dedicated my yoga practice to you yesterday, and I was very pleased to see this.  Your amazing journey just keeps getting more amazing.

On a non-running note, Spareribs, if you are at the game or even cheering the Mavericks on, I will be very upset.  Everyone is talking Thunder here, even before yoga class.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

OrangeMat

MM #6177

hey Mike - greta idea.  OM how far are you from mile marker 32 of the GSP Big grin

Heh. I'm 3 miles from exit 160, so just a wee bit north...

Wow, Opie, thank you for the good thoughts! Actually, thank you everyone for keeping me in mind. It really makes such a big difference, remembering you're all out there. I believe she's away at a conference this week, but I keep thoughts of Leslie in mind during my tougher runs, all the time. It's amazing how when the going gets tough, breathing (i.e. praying) for someone else during that tough time makes everything seem just a bit easier.

A thought that came to me today: during a particularly challenging and/or tired run, my tactic is to believe I'm stronger than I really am. That way I am. Empowered delusions of grandeur, gotta love it. Big grin

Oh, and I figured out why my Garmin keeps turning off on me, especially when I'm wearing it as opposed to just sitting on the counter. The cover is loose to the point of not staying on. So now that the engineer of the house is home, I'll have him help me find the right glue for it and fix it. So I had another unmeasured run today, but approximated well enough: 5.5 miles in 54:51 (as per the stopwatch feature in my ipod). Yeah, it felt as much.

C-R

jtv - that is very nice of you. Wish more would do this.

OM - WTG. Schooling the youngsters.

Mary - we did Appletini's once. Two pitchers later I was the only one left lucent enough to put away the glasses. And the run the next day was horrible. Gotta watch out for those burritos ritas.

Maine - forgot the atta boy to your DS. Awesome.

We had some sunshine here today. Seems kind of odd. Actually was in the high 60's. My run still was tough. Layoffs and colds don't make for great workouts but miles are miles.

Cheers

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Crap!  I just read the whole dang world is going to be destroyed by fire, this Saturday!  I guess I'll do my 20 miler in the morning... 

HermosaBoy

Crap!  I just read the whole dang world is going to be destroyed by fire, this Saturday!  I guess I'll do my 20 miler in the morning... 

Good planning!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob