Masters Running

Wednesday, May 18 Runs and Other Busy-ness (Read 514 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

TomS – I would love to grow asparagus, but I don’t have a big enough garden.

Twocat – yay for getting the ankle brace off!

MikeE – tough break for your granddaughter.  Will she be able to still go to the pool when it opens?  My DS broke his wrist last year, and we paid $35 extra for the waterproof cast – well worth it.

Busy day for me yesterday: 13.4 mile slow and easy run (thereby running more in 2 days than the entire week before), followed by a trip to the library, dry cleaners, Goodwill drop-off, grocery store, then home and out again to rent a carpet cleaner.  I vacuumed and cleaned the carpets in two bedrooms, then fixed baked ziti for dinner, then made hamburger patties, turkey patties, and turkey meatballs to freeze for later.  Then DS and I loaded up the bikes on the rack and took them down to a bike event offering free tune-ups.  Afterward, there was just time to watch an episode of House before toppling into bed.

Whew - these days off work are exhausting! 

Today I will do the P90X Core Synergistics, then clean the carpets in the livingroom, family room, and our bedroom, before driving downtown for a Paralegal Association meeting.  Tomorrow is the day I go into my new job, just to sign papers and meet the other staff members, and then Friday I will go with them to a seminar on Medicare.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

no time to post..

Had a dream I met Slo and shook his hand in congratulations and we talked about running by feel... very impressive...

Today I ran 8 miles by feel without peeking. 8:33 pace, AHR 143!  Awesome! Felt great the whole way.  IRC 52° helped!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

New skirt in town

Perch--so funny that you had a dream about running by feel and then you went out and did it so well!  I'm terrible at running by feel, and depend on that constant numeric feedback, from either the Garmin or the treadmill display. 

I had 7-miles planned this morning, but I was feeling so good that I took it longer.  8.62 miles in 1:25.  The first 5 minutes were walking, and then I took it up to a slow jog, and then slowly increased the speed.  I'm still really wary of my plantar fasciitis, and taking all of my runs nice and slow.  It was rainy out, so I ran on the treadmill, where my new trashy TV series is "Dexter".  I'm loving it!!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Good "Rainy" Morning Holly and everyone else here, of course what's new at least here in the Northeast!  I know I haven't been posting on the daily thread of late, just very hectic all around for me of late.  However, things are winding down and hopefully less stressful.

The most important thing for our family is our youngest son's graduation this weekend, he'll graduate as an RN on Saturday and his pinning is Friday afternoon.  I'm so very proud of him as he has done this all while working full time and raising his young family (three boys of his own).

Plus our new "Public Safety" building goes up for vote on Saturday as well.  It is sorely needed but with the economy the way it is who knows which way it will go.

And finally I think I have really turned the corner with my running, of course that remains to be seen.

Yesterday I got in 3 very easy recovery miles - 31:15 (10:26) - quads are a bit tender but that's pretty much it.  I'm hoping to get in another 5 easy later today and will have to dodge the raindrops again! 

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

I got tired just reading Holly's post about her day off!  Jeesh.

Lift, step, spin.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Tomorrow I run.

Dave59

6 pretty good miles for me this morning.  I haven't been sleeping too good lately, but I don't feel tired, so I guess it's ok.  I just lie there in bed and look at the clock every now and then (trying to guess how much time has passed since my last check).  Maybe I don't need as much sleep as I used to.

Maybe I don't need as much sleep as I used to.

Ahh, the joys of growing older. On the upside, I saw on the news this morning that if men drink a lot of coffee, it can reduce their risk of prostate cancer. Oh wait - the coffee will prevent you from sleeping well. Yes Dave, that is the Bellin Run on June 11. It's a fun race but growing way too big - over 10,000 runners last year. You would be done by 9:00 and back in your hotel room before your DW even knew you were gone!

Holly, you make me tired.

Nice to see Maine pop in this morning. Good luck getting that new public safety building passed.

Great run this morning Perch. Any news on the job?

Well, we had one nice day. Cold, raining and windy again this morning. Off to the Y for 5 miles on the eliptical and some stability and medicine ball work. Our kids start their final exams today - last day of school is Friday. The good news is faculty and staff can wear jeans/shorts from now on.Big grin

Have a good one folks.

Dang Holly.  You make me want to go back to bed to get some more rest.

Running by feel is how I almost always run.  You get a very good sense of the various paces after a while.

This morning was a Beautiful morning here in S. Fla. 66° and low 65% humidity. IRC.  Clear skies, light breeze, and a mostly full moon. The kind of day where you love living down here. (We get lots of these.)

After yesterday's 6 mile run with 3 miles at Tempo pace, I wasn't sure what to do today, other than I wanted to run 10 miles without doing anything too tough.  (It's never smart to run hard 2 days in a row.)  So I started out easy.  But after about 4 or 5 miles I was feeling so terrific I started picking up the pace. Ended up running 10 miles at 8:45 pace (MP essentially) with all of the miles except the first 2 in the 8's. Mile 9 at 8:02 near-tempo pace.

I ran with my new Reflective Vest, that i got for the Relay next month, to see how that would feel. Couldn't even tell I had it on. Perfect morning.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Perch, I'd be honored...and as it turns out, having the battery die in my garmin is the best thing that has happened to my running.

The last couple of days have been IRC. I've gone 5 easy and and I would just love to go more...maybe this weekend but right now it's probably best just to keep it short and sweet.

So the spring marathon is behind me. It's time to start looking at fall. I'll have to keep it local because it will be a busy time of year. Looks like the Quad City Marathon.

A great day wished to all.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I feel the need to go back to bed after reading Holly's post!   Dang girl ..... well, just dang!

Congratulations to your son Maine - that is very exciting and you should be proud! 

{{{Mike's Granddaughter}}} Ouch!

This is a busy place this morning!   I was out for 4 drizzly miles with Brinkley today.    Not quite negative splits, but I was happy with the steady pace of 9:38's after the first warm up mile.    My oldest daughter is 25 today .... how did that happen?    Sure glad I am not any older.  Wink    We will meet her for a birthday drink tonight and then dinner at a favorite Mexican place.

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Dave59

Ahh, the joys of growing older. On the upside, I saw on the news this morning that if men drink a lot of coffee, it can reduce their risk of prostate cancer. Oh wait - the coffee will prevent you from sleeping well. Yes Dave, that is the Bellin Run on June 11. It's a fun race but growing way too big - over 10,000 runners last year. You would be done by 9:00 and back in your hotel room before your DW even knew you were gone!

If coffee reduces the risk of prostrate cancer, I should be good until age 200.  That's all I do all day - drink coffee.

10,000, eh?  Sounds like a lot of logistic stress (parking being the main one.)

HermosaBoy

Morning all -- Sorry to hear about the Kiddoe Mike!  As for waterproof casts -- as someone who used to apply and remove casts, I don't think there are any waterproof ones.  it's not the cast material to worry about.  it's the arm underneath that doesn't get dry after it gets wet.  It gets kind of funky...

Carpy start today for Rosie and Me.  A little over half mile into our run, GI issues became apparent for me.  So, my planned 3 miler turned into a 1.1 mile run.

It's funny how this totally throws me off for the day.  Rob has lost his groove...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

C-R

Dang Holly. That should be an ultra event.

Good to see you turned a corner Maine.

Robin - we just got Netflix on our Wii and were watching Dexter. It's a good show. Very creepy though.

Mike - that was a nice run. Too bad about the kiddo's breaks. Soccer is a tough game. I've played since I was able to walk. At least five broken noses, several fingers and the assorted lower leg injuries later, I still love the game and still play. Hope she heals up soon.

Man I hope that coffee thing isn't true cause I get about one per week and I wouldn't want to add more. Now I am hoping to see where Diet Coke will prevent prostate cancer or any other cancer if consumed to excess. I'd live to be 10,000.

3.1 miles today. Still trying to get back into a rhythm. It's rainy and 50 here. Will Spring please stand up and be recognized.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

Slo-Hand rand a marathon by feel? or did he trained by feel.

Holly, way to go with your planning ahead menus. When I was in healthcare and on-call a lot I used to make my own frozen meals on the weekend. Check this website, this is not your gourmet recipes, something homey, cheap, simple and nutritious. I really enjoy the chicken recipes there. In fact, I made we had the chicken glazed chicken last night. 

http://www.christysclipart.com/wwwroot/oamc2.html#Apricot%20or%20Peach%20Glazed

I shall rock my RAW today. Weather should be perfect for some 10 miles with some speed mixed in the middle. A miracle, I slept 8 hours last night.

tamster, look at you speedy girl! awesome run yesterday.

mainrunner, congrats to your son! and grand-kids also. Going to school is hard, but it would be much harder for a single papa. Congrats!

Glad to see you here. I was wondering were you have been.

walter, hi there. It was great to see you start the thread the other day. How are the kids.

any word from Hallar?

Carolyn, do you still have snow up there?

I was just looking at my training schedule last night and I was glad to see how much I was able to play in the snow this past winter. I think skiing made my wings stronger!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Mari!  Yes, we still have snow at my house. We got 6" on Saturday night and another inch last night.  

Norm, I second the motion that spring should stand up and be recognized! 

Hoping for a RAL today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.