Masters Running

Friday, 6.19.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Slo, when you asked if I used Garmin Connect and then told me to look for 'Tools,' I thought you meant to look on the Garmin Connect site. No wonder I couldn't find them! Thanks for setting me straight. I set it up, used it this morning, and it worked great!

I just have time to say good luck with the new door, Enke; good job trying the tri, Deeze, and congrats to your son; best wishes for a successful outcome for Mr. Starr's youngest brother, and a big Congrats on your 3-yr. anniversary, Starr!

The 8th grade graduation ceremony last night was great! The kids were so dang kid-like and grown up all at the same time. Had a blast!

5.7 very easy RW miles this morning, and my right foot was OK. It had just rained so it was muggy, but the temp was a somewhat cool 60F, so it was OK.

We're leaving for NJ for a HS graduation party for a niece, disguised as a family barbecue. Don't ask... 

Have a greta Friday & weekend, and good running to this weekend's racers!

06/20 evanflein - Midnight Sun Run 10k

06/20 milktruck - Close to the Coast 10K, Freeport, ME

06/20 Deez4boyz - Patriot 70.3 East Freetown, MA

06/20 Opie - Choctaw Challenge 5k, Choctaw, OK

06/21 henrun -BAA 10k, Boston MA

06/21 Ileneforward - Run 4 Autism 10k, LB CA

06/23 Ileneforward - Taco Tuesday XC 5K, LB CA

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

It's a gym day and normally I would drive over, warm-up on the ARC trainer and then do some stuff with weights, but I wanted to try the Garmin Connect thing so I ran over and back.  2 miles total.

The workout did come over but I am not sure if it helps much for me.  You have to answer a message to import, then if you track the shoes you use you still have to go into the workout and edit it.  Then I got another message that the data import failed which I don't understand since it seemed fine to me.

Sometimes too much technology isn't as helpful as you think it might be. That being said, I am not going to turn it off yet.  Maybe I'll warm up to it.

I don't use online logs but have been happy with SportTracks on my PC for quite a few years. It tracks equipment including my shoes, bikes, etc and imports from all my Garmins.

4 miles in the Vieux Port area of Montreal's Old Town district and along the Lachine Canal. Leaving for home in a couple hours.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

LOL..good to hear Jay. It works good for me too. I'm glad to have my log back here at RA!

Slo

Sometimes too much technology isn't as helpful as you think it might be. That being said, I am not going to turn it off yet.  Maybe I'll warm up to it.

I hear ya Dave. I'm in the business of factory automation. I caution people all the time...just because we can automate it dosen't mean we should.

Morning friends!!

Easy 25 minute open water swim with a group this morning to help loosen up and calm the nerves for Patriot!

MikeE - thank you!

Starr -- so sorry to hear that devastating news. Congrats on your 3 yr anniversary and beautiful pic you posted on FB

Fleet feet to all those racing this weekend and happy trails to everyone!!

denise

Sayhey! MM#130

Morning,

In that I especially am thinking about what happened in South Carolina while I am running, I feel the need to say that.

Lightening storm came up mid run last night, so we stopped under a bridge.  Made for a truncated tempo run, not to mention puddle-luscious on the way back.  7+ then, 5 this am.  Tried to run fast, but I couldn't.

May run a 5K in Naples tomorrow, see if I can't run fast for a change.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Work-from-home Friday for me, which is nice for a lot of reasons, including the fact that I am able to get the laundry done in between tasks, but also because DD's golf league is on Fridays and I am able to get her there and back.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Starr, I am sorry about your BIL and at the same time happy for your anniversary.

Deez, he set a course record? Good for him!

Always great to hear from OM and LaT whenever they pop in.

We are once again flooded here with warnings to some homeowners to evacuate, or at least put valuable belongings on upper floors.  They are releasing water from Lake Grapevine and it's all coming into our creeks and rivers.  No worries for our home however.

Another 3.5 miles at the park, tip toeing around the areas where the sidewalk is under water. Next week will be better I'm sure.

Last night Hudson regaled us with his explanation of his job at the Container Store warehouse. He wears a headset and is directed by "Jennifer" a robot, who tells him what kinds of bins to bring with him, where to go in the warehouse and how many items to put in the bins, verifying the SKU's and quantities as he goes.  "Jennifer" also gives him an estimated time, "This should take you about 58 minutes" and then tells him his actual time after he completes the assignment.  If he has to go to the restroom he simply says, "Take a break Jennifer."  He said some of the employees hate Jennifer and curse at her, as there is no let up throughout the entire shift.  I'm blown away by this technology and proud of him for doing it well.

Spareribs

Dang, Ribs.  Not sure I'd want a robot telling me what to do. Good luck to Hudson!

Amy - I am struggling with what happened in South Carolina.  There are no words and my prayers go out to that community.

I again want to say Happy Non-Belly Button Birthday to Starr.  Keep fighting the good fight.  It's worth it. 

I couldn't get my RA and GC logs to talk to each.  I'll have to look at it closer tonight to see if I'm doing something wrong.

My run after work went well, and I even had the excitement of seeing my first ever black-crowned heron.  It flew right in front of me, both when I was going out and coming back.  I posted a description in a few places on FB, got some suggestions, and finally hit on one.  It was really cool!

This a.m. it was about half an hour of core and upper body.  Coach is putting me to the test this weekend, so no significant ST for the legs.

Have a great weekend, Friends ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Starr so sorry about your BIL's surgery, but hope it was successful in that they got all the cancer. Certainly a life changing thing, for sure. And at the same time, congratulations on your three year anniversary and have fun with the big family gathering!

So I don't even know what Garmin Connect really is, except that it was causing all sorts of problems for people here on RA and Eric took the site down a bit last weekend for an upgrade, and now you can use it. Right? I just upload my runs to RA from my Garmin, and it seems to work fine so not sure what the issue is? Other than I need to use Safari because Chrome doesn't play with the Garmin Communicator. I can't do wireless downloads from my Garmin anyway since it's an old 305 (uses the cradle and cable).

I think as long as you can tell Jennifer to take a break, that's pretty cool. And "she" is talking simultaneously to all the warehouse staff? That's very cool stuff. I hope Hudson likes it. It wouldn't surprise me if he thinks of a way to improve it, too.

Taking today off (from work)! So I've got time to take care of a bunch of things I can't do during the week. Haven't vacuumed the house in almost 3 weeks! Egads, it's really bad around here....   I've been working this week on running but not too hard/too much since it seems I always do something to sabotage my late night 10k (this Saturday). Years ago when I had horses, DH and I hauled about 4 tons of hay (about 5 pickup loads) the day of the Midnight Sun Run. Needless to say that year wasn't one of my better times. In 2011 I ran the Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage in the morning, then drove home (370 miles) and ran the 10k. Not a bad time, but not my best. So I ran 6.1 easy miles yesterday, will do about 5 or so today, and then try to back off and not overdo stuff till tomorrow night. That's hard, because I have lots of garden and yard work (we call it yarden work!) to do and that's a big no-no for a pre-race activity.

Mariposai

Good luck with the run test fatozzig. Great picture.

Starruns, sorry to hear about the cancer patient in your family. Congrats on your sobriety anniversary.

Erika, enjoy your race this weekend. I always look forward to reading your race reports on this one.

Holly, enjoy the benefit of working from home. At one point I will be able to do the same, but for now, I need to be at the office.

Spareribs, wow, another news about Texas being underwater. Happy to hear that your house is out of danger.

The Steady Pacer and I were out early for a fun 5 miler. We decided to make it a progressive run. I had to work hard to stay ahead of him the whole way back. He has become such a strong runner.

Have a great weekend folks, we run are longing for Sunday to get here to welcome the Twocats at our nest. What to cook, what to cook???

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

we run are longing for Sunday to get here to welcome the Twocats at our nest. What to cook, what to cook???

No pressure there or anything....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Yes EK, because Jennifer is a robot she is talking to all the pickers at once.  Each of the products has a unique SKU so when she directs you to an aisle and a station at that aisle, the picker then tells her the unique number for that space so that she knows you are going to select the right product, then she tells you how many of them to take, and you verbally confirm you did that.

She also has the pickers start at one end of the warehouse and work in one direction toward the front to minimize movement.  It's all done automatically.  Hudson says the one thing missing is that unlike the Nike running app and other apps that direct human performance, Jennifer doesn't say things like, "Nice going.  You fulfilled that order two minutes faster than the average for that number of stops."  Even artificial reward and recognition would help he thinks.  Spareribs

Spareribs it would be a really good idea for Jennifer to provide some positive feedback.  Part of which should be money.  My guess is a bonus for collecting a net time faster than expected would stop a lot of the cursing.  That is if the firm can resist the temptation then ratchet down the times.

I went off for 14 miles this morning.  My DW is supposed to come out tonight to join me in Seattle.  Her flight keeps getting delayed.  She is not taking it well.  I sure hope she gets here.  Her morning was awful too, a 3 hour commute to work due to track problems with the train.  What a day she is having.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/