Masters Running

Sunday, 11.8.15 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm wide awake (have been since 3). Might as well go host a road race.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck, Jay.  I hope everything goes well for you.

mornin' guys//............Starr is going to help post the picture of Claire and her Horse Cookie

MUCH APPRECIATED

==================

.......50's in Knoxville,

did 55-min walking with hand weights

and No Cane

at McFee Greenway,

like most of Knoxville

it makes you wonder

if there had been VOLCANIC ACTIVITY at some point,

it was very hilly

and

I am definitely feeling it today

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good running guys,,,,,,,,,hope this picture works, I really like it

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning guys. Good luck with the race Jay! Hi Mike! How 'bout them Vikings?  Looking forward to seeing the picture of Claire and her Horse Cookie Tom.

Feel better soon Leslie.

Good luck Amy!!

Nice to see Starr pop in. I've been looking at that Portland marathon as well, but not sure it's in the cards for me. At my age, running a half marathon is a big deal. I'm not sure I have it in me to train for a full any more. Though, the course IS open for 8 hours.....

A beautiful, though chilly morning here. I decided to keep DH company for a trip to the Y instead of running outside - which I may still do later. 45 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights and core stuff.

The Charlie Brown movie was an interesting experience. The grandboys were more excited about all of the Pixar coming attractions. We lost the two year-old about half way through the movie. Then, the other two got "the wiggles." It was cute, but the whole story of Charlie Brown and the little red-haired girl and Snoopy are a part of a different time. Not enough action for these little ones. A pricey outing, too. $6.00 each for the 3 kids plus $6.00 each for their little snack boxes which contained a small drink, a handful of popcorn and a small package of some sort of fruit snacks. Two of which ended up on the floor   Still, it was so nice to have this time with the boys. And I know their parents enjoyed the break!

Have a great day everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Luck Jay!

TomWhite - looking forward to seeing a Claire picture!

Okay, rant here....we have our cellphones, internet, home phone and TV (Uverse) through AT&T.  We were recently talked into combining our billing to one bill each month for all services, and somehow that managed to screw up about 10 things, so I have spent countless hours on the phone with AT&T in the last couple of months.  While trying to fix a recent problem (they upgraded me to a higher, more expensive tier on the Uverse without my permission) I asked them to take the insurance off my stepdad's phone.  He has had it for years, is very responsible, and I didn't think we needed to continue to pay $7/month for the insurance.  So, my DD lost her phone Friday night, set it down on a shelf at Walmart while sorting through racks, found it was gone when she returned to it.  When I called AT&T yesterday morning to report it stolen, I found out that when they took the insurance off my stepdad's phone, they had taken the insurance off of DD's phone as well.

I spent literally 2.5 hours on the phone yesterday morning trying to resolve this, most of the time on hold, then after 40 minutes being told another department has to handle it, then being transferred and starting again, one time being hung up on while on hold, several times simply transferred inexplicably in the middle of what seemed like resolution and starting all over again.  Then I went into the local AT&T store, spent 3 hours there, while the rep there spent 2.5 hours on the phone to customer service going through the same difficulties I had had.  We FINALLY were working with a manager in the Retention department, almost at resolution, and he said, "Hold on a moment, let me check on something," and then the phone clicked and we heard, "Welcome to AT&T, how may I help you?"  We had been transferred again, and were starting fresh with someone in the billing department.  The rep I was working with was as frustrated as I was.  He asked to be transferred back to the Retention department, and during the transfer we were hung up on.

He actually gave up, said he was sorry but had tried all he could, and suggested I go home and try calling again myself.

So, I spent TWO MORE HOURS ON THE PHONE last night.

Now I am going back to the store when they open at 11am.

I am nothing if not persistent.

5 miles for me today in 34 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

What a nightmare Holly.  Nothing hilarious about that experience!

The Saint and I went out to the Lake this morning and I ran 6 in 60 minutes, while she ran 4 and walked two.  This is a sciatic nerve-related injury and her exercises are helping her. I see her getting better all the time.

With my youngest away at school, our family dinners here include only SpareTire and Prime Rib, and they will be here for dinner tonight. I am grilling a boneless leg of lamb that I marinated overnight in lime juice, zest, garlic, onion and jalapenos.  Prime Rib's girlfriend just got back from Jerusalem and gave me a book with lots of local recipes from there. One that caught my eye was a mixed vegetable dish of roasted sliced sweet potatoes with figs, scallions and thin sliced red chile pepper, with a balsamic vinegar reduction poured over. I'm making that.  I made a good-sized batch of hummus yesterday too.  Gorgeous weather here today, a good day to grill.  Spareribs

mrrun

Jay - hope the race went well with no snags

((Holly))

Ribs - we're flying in for dinner

Hi Starr, Jlynne!

TW - want to see the picture also & fatozzig's as well

Like Jay, I've had some hip problems, so I've barely run for the last 3 weeks and been doing lots of yoga.  Yesterday I paced Henrun in his 5K & felt fine, soooo  this morning I picked up my DS and planned to start a half knowing I could backtrack to the car, stop at 6miles where my DIL &GD2 were & get a ride back to the start line if I was hurting.  We started & I tripped immediately on a hole in the pavement landing on my leg & rib.  After reassuring my DS telling  him to go ahead, I hobbled back to the car & went home.  He finished his first half in 2:00:36 with his longest runs being 10 miles.  Ice is my friend as I have to heal for next Saturday's 5K with 3 generations - DD & GD1 (& henrun)

marj

mta:  I saw Spotlight and it's as good as the reviews.  Henrun hasn't seen it & I'm willing to see it twice (was free the first time)

coastwalker I see you got up 15 minutes earlier than usual.  I do hope the lack of sleep was rewarded with a hitch free race.

Holl S. seeing as how the retention desk was not all that helpful, you might want to consider being unretained. MY DW had AT&T for her iPad and we had Verizon for our cell phones. We then switched everything over to T-Mobile. The coverage by T-Mobile in cities is just fine. If they cover where you live you might consider the switch. T-Mobile has certainly been cheaper! Plus, so far at least, their customer service has been just fine.

Spareribs I wish I could do sweet potato recipes like you do during the week. But, alas, my DW is anti-sweet potato. The recipe you have in hand sounds very good.

mrrun I sure hope that injury goes away fast! Tough to have it happen at any time but double in a race.

Today was an elliptical day for me. My DW has abandoned me to go shopping with her BFF. Thank goodness I have been left out! Dinner at our place is posole. It is a favorite of my DW. It takes a bit of time to make, mostly from simmering in a pot. But, in terms of overall effort, pretty low key.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Claire

//.........this is Claire's horse Cookie,

part of being a Cowgirl

is knowing the parts of a horse,

I just didn't know they were going to do it like this Big grin

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

...thanks starr//...I owe ya one......

eta-

she got an 80 for knowing the parts

the ''hock'' is actually what I would have called ''The Haunches'' and it's at the back legs

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Great pic of Claire and her horse!  Cripes, but she's getting big (Claire, not the horse).

Well, good grief, Marj.  Hope you heal up fast for next weekend.

{{{Holly}}} - I thought getting my dad's phone and internet stopped was a struggle (also through AT&T), but your experience tops mine by far.

Starr - Friends of mine are the announcers for the Portland Marathon, and at least at that end, they have a blast every year.

TomW - So happy things are going so well for you on your recovery.

Anyone have any experience with Healthcare Sharing Ministries?  Shorty's insurance premiums have gone up $300 a month to almost $750 a month now, so we looking at viable alternatives.  I know there are 4 or 5 that qualify under the ACA and I'm researching how they work.

Had a good talk with Coach last night, and tomorrow I get back on the regular exercise wagon . . . .

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Survived one of, if not the, roughest marathons ever.  They stop them in MN and WS when the temps and humidity get that high.

Seriously came close to pulling out; tempting, as I live here and know exactly where I am at every spot on the course.  4:33--58 minutes slower than MCM 2 weeks ago.

Will read everyone's posts in more detail--at least you had, I hope, weather more on your side, Jay.

Ah Holly, for all you do and nice as you are, good karma has to be headed your way soon!

I think I am going to be hot until Wednesday.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Great picture TW!

Wow, Marj--I hope you're okay.

Yeah, Jlynne--the Vikings have a good record...but I've been a Vikings fan for way too long to get too excited.  By the way...Portland has a half marathon.

Holly--good luck with all of that.  It is so frustrating dealing with some companies.  Sometimes they don't let you be nice.

Amy--you are really something...I'm still recovering from MCM.

Okay--gotta go--see ya.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday, folks. Definitely need the Like button for Claire's picture.

Hope Jay had a good race--weather was perfect. I wore my shirt from a few years ago in his honor. 3.1 miles around the lake to get started up again. Still a little more work than I hoped.

Thought dealing with the cable companies were fun. Sorry about the drama, Holly. For what it's worth, DW and DD have t-mobile and are generally happy with the service.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - I forgot - which race was this? I know the Monkey is not for a couple of weeks.

Ribs - Sounds yummy!

TomWhite - who is that big girl and what have you done with little Claire?

Okay, we (fingers crossed) hopefully have issues resolved.  Since they cannot give you back insurance and then report a phone stolen the day before, we simply started fresh with a new 24 month plan, slightly cheaper than the one we signed for in June, as if we were brand new customers, and DD will get a new phone (with insurance) in a few days.  Then they talked us into buying two Ipad Minis before we left.....

Actually, my stepdad has been wanting an Ipad for a while (his lady-friend has one), and has been dithering around about what to get, and since signing up for a new plan for DD enabled us to get them for $99 each, we got them for Christmas presents for DD and stepdad.

AT&T was not a problem until we combined our billing - that has just made a mess of things.  Hopefully we will get it all resolved in the next billing cycle.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."