Masters Running

Diagnose me please (Read 390 times)

TammyinGP

I don't want to go to the doctor, so can you just tell me what you think this is?

I went for a 5.5 mile run yesterday. Absolutely no pain while running, felt fine. shoes only have around 150 miles on them.  Got home, and sat down to watch some football. I was probably sitting for about 30 min and then when I got up, I literally hobbled in pain. On the bottom of my right foot, along the outside edge, it was excruciating pain to even put the slightest amount of pressure on it. But because I'm stubborn, I walked/hobbled to the kitchen to start making dinner. I guess this was one of those times I'm glad I have a small kitchen so didn't have to move around much. After standing for awhile, the pain subsided and I could walk with only a very slight limp. The longer I stood on it, the less it hurt and finally was completely gone.

then again, after dinner and sitting for about 20 minutes, when I got up, it was back to pain and hobbling. I did get out of the cleaning up the kitchen but I swear that wasn't my intent (although maybe I can use that excuse tonight?) . It got better as the night went on and even this morning, it was fine.

I sort of want to go running again and see if this mysterious pain returns again. very strange. I have a pretty high pain tolerance so I'm not exaggerating when I describe this pain as excruciating. I would have thought my foot was broken - well, except for the fact that I ran on it just fine adn the pain did go away over time. If it were a stress fracture, I would have thought it would hurt while running also.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

No ideas, sorry, but have you tried theinjuredrunner.com?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Tammy, I'm not a DR., but I have played Dr. on the TV.

If I were to guess, I'd suspect a screwed up muscle group. Once you started working it back to normal the pain subsided.

However, it would be irresponsible to guess since my medical back ground comes from stealing Dad's hidden magazines.

Please remit you payment for a consultation in this matter.

Regards, 

The Dr. of Luv.

SteveP

TammyinGP

there were medical articles in those hidden magazines?

my husband just thinks I'm falling apart. he thinks my poison oak is actually leprosy. and now the hobbling is just a sign of old age (never mind the fact that he is 12 yrs my senior!). He's probably going to try and slip in the canine arthritis medicine in my food next.

Tammy

Tammy- For my 2 cents worth (which isn't worth much), when I tore the tendon in my foot I had pretty much the same experience and the doc even thought it was a stress fracture.  It would hurt like the frigging dickens, but once I got to moving on it, it would subside somewhat.  Stop for walking/running for even a minute or two - pain, pain, pain.  Obviously I have no idea if you have a stress fracture, but if it even hints at being one, you need to get it checked out before it develops into something worse.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

it's like my back which went out once so bad I couldn't ever get out of the low-slung car seat without help, . . . but went over to the start to run more than 30 miles up Mt. Spokane in the Let's-Climb-a-Mountain that posie was on a butterfly relay team. With regard to getting old in running years, tell the DH you have at least another 20  years to go before you can start blaming anything on age.  He can start a little earlier though. I bet he doesn't even have any hidden magazines anymore, . . . that is, the medical ones.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I'm sorry to hear this, Tammy, but I have no idea.  It doesn't sound like my stress fracture from this spring but it could be a different spot.  It could be a lot of different things.  That's why doctors use differential diagnosis which I call an educated guess.  In some ways it sounds like PF except you feel that in your heel, like you stepped on a railroad spike after sitting or laying down.  I don't think running on it is a real smart idea, to be honest.  Could you please cross-train for a while?

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

wildchild

Carolyn

Stop for walking/running for even a minute or two - pain, pain, pain. 

I dunno - sounds to me like you just need to keep walking or running, and it'll be fine. But the leprosy could be serious...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

oh oh oh!! Maybe you're morphing into something kewl!! Have you had any recent memory lapses while at a genetic engineering facility? As an infant, were you found abandoned near a crash site of an unidentified air craft?? Sweet!...Just in case, don't be going all crazy evil on us. 

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

there were medical articles in those hidden magazines?

http://injuredrunner.com/injury_diagram.htm 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Hi Tammy,

The only time I ever played Doctor was with the cute girl down the street...well, never mind.

I'm with Steve, and think that, because of the way the pain comes after the foot has been immobile, but goes away with walking, it is likely a muscle issue. But I can't really offer anything beyond that. Have you tried any foot stretches, and has it felt any different after that?

I can't speak for the leprosy diagnosis - we don't get much of that here. But Tet is right, and you've got quite a ways to go before you can start blaming old age for the things that happen. You might have to bite the donut and call the doctor after all.

Good luck!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

#artbydmcbride

It sounds like the kind of mystery injury that comes on suddenly the week before a marathon.    It is very odd that it was fine this morning.   I think you need to run again and then sit and see what happens.   (((TammyinGP)))

....can I have your stapler?

Runners run

wildchild

Carolyn

I doubt it's a stress fracture - they hurt when you exercise and don't hurt when you rest.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Thanks for that link, Holly. I clicked on the foot injury part and none of the foot injuries it references talks about the area of my foot that hurt. Last night I was using my foam roller and noticed that the tendon that runs along the outside of my right lower leg was pretty tight. Which leads me to believe that I have tightness there that is extending down to my foot. I did some stretches for that area and some massage along the outer part of my foot and will run again today at lunchtime if it's not raining out and see if that same pain returns. Because it didn't hurt while running and would subside after awhile, I'm also thinking that wouldn't be a stress fracture. I would think that would be more constant and not let up.

As far as the leprosy goes . . . i'm thinking I need me some Jesus to get rid of that.

and my stapler sucks Ilene. After every 5th staple you have to pound it on the floor to make it work. but my tape dispenser is pretty cool. you want that instead?

Tammy

#artbydmcbride

yes, please

Runners run