Masters Running

Leapin' Lizards 2.29 (Read 39 times)

mrrun

Just to give Jay a break on his SRD, I'm starting

Running in about an hour, more later

Enjoy!!!

[[[[stumpy]]]...........and a Pox on those KillerSprinklerHeads......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy leap day, masters!  I thought I'd post a handy table of prime numbers to help plan your run (for those of you who haven't run yet!)

Sadly, I need 6 miles to hit the next prime, and I tweaked my knee yesterday.  It's pretty sore this morning, so I'm taking a rest day.  Not sure what I did -- I did fall on the ice once, but just got a small scrape on the palm of my hand.

2      3      5      7     11     13     17     19     23     29 
        31     37     41     43     47     53     59     61     67     71 
        73     79     83     89     97    101    103    107    109    113 
        127    131    137    139    149    151    157    163    167    173 
        179    181    191    193    197    199    211    223    227    229 
        233    239    241    251    257    263    269    271    277    281 
        283    293    307    311    313    317    331    337    347    349 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - hope that knee clears up for you.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Wow!  Big NOLA news---so you packed your running gear, twocat, hmmm......    Oh, and I love the race photo--your head is placed perfectly so that a little shiny knob on the drum behind you looks like an earring in your right earlobe.  Very hipster.  So glad you got to run that one together!

O Leslie, I have empathy.  A lot.

Holly, you continue to amaze.

On the cooking front, I got a great deal on cod (Lent + MA snowbirds in town for Sox training) and decided to make it Cajun.  Found a common companion to Cajun cod is something called "cheesy grits."  So I carefully read the recipes and realized---it's polenta!  So that's what I made: cod and polenta.

Way to run, Rosie.  I'm sure it would seem EXTRA hilly to me.

{{{{Kevin and Carolyn}}}}  Ice and elevate!  Also I've read that the total rest has been revised by at least some docs, who say walking or exercise that doesn't cause pain is useful in terms of promoting increased blood flow to the injury, which hastens recovery.

Really nice group at the 5K (Make a Wish Foundation).  Young man spoke, said he was a very good baseball player, wanted to be a fire fighter and then 10th grade, found out he has cardiomyopathy.  He described falling into a deep depression.  Unknown to him, his doc put him in for Make a Wish.  After considering options, he chose a fishing trip with Peter Miller in the Keys that he described as life-changing.  While fishing, he didn't think about baseball or feel sorry for himself.  He's now working on becoming a Nurse Practitioner.

Interesting, as I'd always thought of make a Wish as trips to Disney, etc., not that there's anything wrong with that, just learned that it's a more nuanced organization than I thought.

We were cold Sunday--it was 46 when we started out, and it was breezy over the bridge.  Got in 18 with 3 bridge round trips and decided that was sufficient.   Should have done 20 but had a good pace for the 18 and stopped.

Not another marathon for 4 weeks, but I think I have half marathons all the weekends leading up to it, so I'll have to tack on miles before and after at least some of them.

Happy Leap Day--Google has a leaping bunny.  I think it should be a day off.  In honor of all those who have birthdays today.  (I've mentioned them before, but it bears repeating.  I represented a woman in a family law case who had 2 sons, born 4 years apart, each on Feb. 29.  Odds??--always remember her on this day.)

A.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

I find falls on ice always lead to more than you'd initially think. Seems there's always some twisting involved. Hope the knee heals up quickly and you, too, Stumpy.

Alas, I'd need to do 9 miles to hit a prime and that's not going to happen. Just a short easy recovery run today as I'm already over 200 for the month, which is my top goal.

We're over 10 hours of daylight now, and with temps in the 30's this feels more like spring that it really is. We're all kind of bracing for a cold wet spring though....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Back from skiing and ice-skating in GS-land
                to the five-mile cyclemute routine.
                Scattered sprinkles this am.

44-degrees.
                Twocat - glad you had an unexpected good time
                in spite of not having the expected good time.
                Every time with posie is a good time.
                Leslie - doin’ a transcript for an admitted killer
                is a lot better than doin’ one for an innocent
                the police have decided is guilty.

Holly - 20.1 miles and prime rib: fantastic!

Wish they had the extra leap year day in the summer.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

To everybody who is sore, feeling beat up, bruised, achy - - {{Healing Vibes to You All}}} We are one tough bunch, aren't we? 

Cod and polenta - Amy, you made me laugh out loud.

And how wonderful for the young man who got to "Make a Wish." Sometimes you just need perspective.

The Transcription Thing - I love doing transcription for the criminal attorneys since I've never worked in that area of the law.  But what gets to me is the number of lives around here that are totally destroyed by drugs.  We have seen an explosion of crime related to marijuana, meth, and heroin.  I know it's an issue all around the country, but the last 5 years or so here, it's just exploded.  A huge problem is the number of people - mostly young adults - who come to this area to work as trimmers for the marijuana industry.  Our homeless problem is incredible in this area.  I am all for helping people who are honestly having a hard time and want to change their lives, but so many of the homeless around here don't want help.  It's not something that can easily be described in a few sentences, but suffice to say that our city was named the #2 city in California for crime - specifically because of the number of break-ins in homes and cars to steal stuff that can be sold or pawned so they can get their next fix.

Anyway - - enough depressing stuff . . .

An hour of core/ST this a.m.  Really working hard on leg, hip, and glute strengthening.

I went back this morning and read my race report about my DNF at Firetrails 50 in 2014.  I'm using that as my motivation to work my butt off for Pick Your Poison 24 hr race in July.  I was SO prepared for Firetrails, and the fact that cramps and puking set me up for a DNF - well, it still eats at me. I have a lot to prove to myself with PYP.

Have a great week, friends ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

New skirt in town

Please send all your strongest healing thoughts and prayers for Denise's son (deez4boyz). From Facebook:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Ok friends - asking for prayers and positive thoughts for my oldest son Steven. He is currently intubated and on a ventilator with extensive bilateral pneumonia and flu. Right now we don't know why a 29yr old would get this sick from pneumonia but we hope for answers and healing soon. Thank you.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

mrrun

(((injured knees and other body parts)))

((deez - special hug))

my GS fell off his scooter yesterday also with two bruised knees. he of course will heal the fastest

Shape up somerville is one week later this year - april 24th - so much for a pre-boston race!

ran 15 on the Charles and around.  beautiful day and just kept going although the last couple of miles were more of a walk/run combo.

marj

Oh, poor Steven  {{{Deez}}}

I did hike 1 mile on the TM yesterday.  I wanted to run three but my knee pain was there.  Stupid knee.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thank you, Robin.  For some reason this flu/pneumonia that's going around is extremely aggressive and not something to be trifled with.  My sister-in-law's stepdaughter passed away a little over a week ago at the age of 50.  Within a week she went from flu which went into pneumonia and then ARDS.  Deez's son will be in my prayers.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

our city was named the #2 city in California for crime - specifically because of the number of break-ins in homes and cars to steal stuff that can be sold or pawned so they can get their next fix.

My city of 20,000 people apparently has the distinction of having the highest number of heroin overdoses per capita in the state....

{{{Steven and Deez}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Thank you, Robin, for deez news. I will pray for him and send healing thoughts. I am not on Facebook anymore and so I miss these important items.

Aamos, polenta!  And cod. Yum. I wish I was eating at your house. On Fridays. During Lent.

Holly, I could eat at your house on Sundays (or Saturday nights!)

As for the Colonial Half, had it not been for the heat, I would not complain so much about the hills. In my world, this is the hilliest course. I was very proud to watch Carol run it... yes, my friend was always in front of me. I last had a chance to run with her with 4 miles remaining. The next thing I knew, she was taking off. She killed the last three miles. (my friend, Carol, is over 9 years older than me)

Healing vibes radiating to all those in need. And some for myself as my feet are still bothering me at night.

Also. Our trip to Wyoming is off. The rocket scientist busted his right calf over a week ago. He doesn't have confidence in this training cycle. Also. His wife's flying phobia is raging. (Had been in remission for a few months but has reared its ugly head)  So he would be going to Wyoming by himself in June.

I will work on re-fixing the flight problems for Alaska. We are looking at 2017. August. Alaska. My friend, Bob A. is determined to cure me. He is a psychologist and a runner and has been championing my running efforts for years.

Leap On!

MTA:

Love the Make a Wish story, Aamos!  Good. There is a lot of good out there.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

[[[deez]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....