Masters Running

Friday, Dec. 12 Runs, Non-Runs and Rests (Read 474 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Okay, I'll start us off with a non-run post. A bit of a stressfull night left me with a headache when I went to bed and still there this morning. It is starting to subside now - but needless to say - no running. Sad I really need a good run too - a clear my head run I think. Long story short - having a daughter stranded on the side of a road with no cell phone, flat (unrepairable)tire, in a city 100 miles away and a strange man helping her is about all a mom (and dad) can take. Good news is that she is home now, new tire and her phone will be delivered this morning. (she dropped her's in the toilet .... I asked .... it was clean water) I'm not so sure having a daughter away at college is such a wonderful thing. I hope Holly posts a picture of that new puppy today - I could use a puppy fix!! TGIF!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

{{{hopeful}}} No rain finally! HIE Progression run on rolling hills 9:00 8:45 8:30 8:14 8:01 7:44 7:48 (all uphill) 7:32 7:04 (0.4 mi) Overall 8.45 miles in 1:08:48 (8:08 pace, AHR 155) The 7th mile was hard Smile Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mary it gets better. Hang in there. Glad she's okay! Perch I'd find most of those miles Hard! Good job. A nice easy 5 mile recovery run at 9:57 min/mile pace. Average HR 129. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Mary—glad it all turned out okay. Most of the time a guy helping is just a guy helping. Perch—Yowser! Nice progression run. I noticed the late shift on yesterday’s daily thread was getting a little goofy and then I found the explanation:
          Darn those late night ramblings. Mine are usually alcohol induced.
          I’ve got local half marathon on Sunday which I signed up for long before I knew I’d be doing a “do-over” marathon just two weeks before. After a double-long taper and a couple weeks of post-marathon recovery, I’m in no shape to go out for a PR but I’m still not sure how hard I’ll push. Looks like nice weather for Sunday, which will be nice. All that is background to why I went out and ran 5.1 “comfortably hard” to see what pace that would translate into. Turned out to be 7:47 pace, which is probably a little fast for Sunday (it’s a challenging course) but in the ballpark. I’ll play it by ear and see how I feel. Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

perch, nice hilly progression run. sheesh. Thanks at least for this...
            The 7th mile was hard
            {{{Mary}}} glad she's home safe!! Once DD called ... her car had died on an on an entrance ramp to the freeway-- 6 AM, an icey day, to top it off -- her phone was on the fritz too (twilight zone?) so we had 2 or 3 incomplete calls... couldn't get quite where she was... or if she could get road service. It ended ok, but I know what you mean! nice run for you too, Tramps. sigh. i have a long way to go. But am enjoying the process, that's the point. Sorry. fever induced digression. btw, let me know if you want a copy of that dvd. I already have one that is unspoken for. no run for me, DH's bug has hit me pretty hard. "It's always the guys fault". Maybe I should have backed off a little this week but it looked like I was getting away with it. Anyway. Decided this is a waste of time so I'll be better tomorrow. Lets see how mind over matter works. I've been a little hit or miss on the daily lately.... so maybe I've just missed their posts. Has Aamos been around? & Dan? am wondering how they are, how his training plan is working out. Amy had owies. mta, good luck Tim!!!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning all... Quick fly by post as my car wouldn't start this morning, and I am super late for work Angry 1 Hour of pool running last night, then about 45 minutes of upper and lower body weights and core work. Well, off to my new foot doctor at 10:00 am this morning...wish me luck. Come to find out, this new foot doctor is a guy I graduated with and is a runner and Triathlete, that I have competed against many times. Cool Hope you get to feeing better sweetheart Mary Smile Greta runs Steve and Bill. Hope you have a good race Tramps...bet you do better than you think. Hi dg, get well soon..being sick sucks! Always the guys fault Big grin Sorry, gotta go...Have a great day everyone...TGIF TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Mary, no matter how old our kids get a parent never stops worrying! We had really heavy rain here yesterday but it is drying out this morning. Almost a Full moon at the start of my run (almost didn't need the headlamp) and a beautiful sunrise with 42F temps. 10.22 miles of hills 8:52 pace..energizing run! Strap on your financial seatbelts we going for a ride today! Good runs to everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

DickyG

Just a quick "hello" sort of post...been sick past couple days and am getting right back in bed. Amid all the stock market chaos going around, I have a sure-fire tip: Buy stock in the company who makes Zicam...I think I've spent about 9 zillion dollars on that stuff the past few days. DickyG

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I hope you are feeling better soon DG. Speaking of husbands - I wonder if Holly's apologized last night as she expected. Wink On my way out the door this morning, I got sick .... thank goodness for the hallway bathroom. I feel better so I'm hoping it is the medicine I take in the morning. Not that that pill will be doing me any good. oy! I don't have time to be sick right now .... How are you feeling after your spill yesterday Perch? By the looks of your run, you must be doing okay. Hope your car is okay Tim. I was sure hoping you were joking about wearing your shoes in the pool. Big grin Thanks for the hugs guys!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Come to find out, this new foot doctor is a guy I graduated with and is a runner and Triathlete, that I have competed against many times.
                      Well, I certainly hope healing you is not a conflict of interest for him... Wink {{{Mary}}} – that IS stressful. Glad it turned out okay. {{{Dg}}} {{{DickyG}}} X-training day for me. After that talk about running on days off, I decided I’d try to squeeze in just a little time on the TM, being that it’s right there in the garage, so I did 5 minutes on the TM, one set of weights, 5 minutes on the TM, another set of weights, but then I ran short on time (too many “Mom, can you get me a ____” and “Honey, I can’t find the ____” – a hazard of working out at home), so I just did the last set of weights with no more TM time. Oh well. Lunges (60 walking and 60 regular), bench step-ups, incline dumbbell press, hammer curls, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, bent rows, upright rows, push ups, and stability ball crunches. Plus 1 mile on the TM. I’ll try to get a puppy picture today. She’s so cute, scampering around in that roly-poly, springs-on-feet way, dragging stuffed animals twice her size across the floor and wrestling them into her crate. I keep her gated in our large kitchen most of the time, and Dexter, although he has the run of the house, prefers to stay in there playing with Daisy.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good Morning, folks - Mary - Like Tramps said, most of the time a guy is being a really great guy and just helping out. Had a similar experience when I was in college and going to see my now hub. My car overheated, and I was sitting on the side of the road waiting for it to hopefully cool down. Three guys in a truck pulled up in front of me. They'd been working in the oil fields, so they were a bit less than presentable. One guy walks up to my window and says, "All we want to do is help you with your car. We're not gong to hurt you," while another guy is lifting their water container out of their truck. I know I looked scared to death! They were really nice and got me on my way again. Perch - Nice progression run!! Maybe the little spill yesterday was actually good for you in a way. Smile Tramps - Good luck with the HM this weekend. And for the record, I wasn't hittin' the bottle . . . at least not last night. Wink Tim - Good luck today!! dg and Dickyg - Feel better soon. Undecided Holly - Nice cross training. I usually fall off the workout wagon after an event, and this week has been no different, even though I vowed I wouldn't. I guess I feel like I deserve the rest after so much training. So even though I had the best of intentions and have been awake off and on since about 3:30 Dead, I never made it out to do my strength training. Maybe they'll let me off work early enough that I can give it a go in the late afternoon. The best intentions . . . . Well, gotta get ready so I can get the old man cat to the vet before I go to work. Later!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

3 ezpz miles with T just to stretch the legs out...8:33 pace
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Renee the dog

Mary, to keep me sane in situations like that, I always figure the odds are pretty low that I'll (or someday my kids) will break down right in the vicinity of a predator. Today I got out for 7 mi a bit later than usual. 43 F, "Real Feel" 34 -- dressed right! Tights + running skirt. Long sleeve tech and hat + gloves. Perfect. Glorious! Considering how much of the island was flooded last night, we had very little route interruption. Of course, Renee enjoyed all the extra water. Big grin Now I'm sitting here reading the daily, with my almost 2 yr old son on my lap while we eat a pomegranate. Mr Nono is out running around the block with our 4.5 yr old, and then he's out to put a few miles in. Tough work day for him -- early start with folks on the East coast, some late in the day conference calls with the West coast means sneaking a run in late morning for him. Not a tough work day for me, as I mostly have cooking and baking on the schedule. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

3 ezpz miles going nowwhere on the 35th floor of the Sheraton Hotel in Seattle. Last night's gathering at Francesca's home was magical. It was great meeting up with Dave and Tet (thanks Dave for driving us there).and Enkie, but it was greater yet was having had the chance to finally meet Francesca and her lovely family. I tell you what folks, that lady can cook lasagna. wow!!!!!!!! homemade noodles and all. Thanks sistah for the lovely evening. Please thank your DH as well for being a gracious host. It was fun chating with him as well. A big hug to the kids, they are adorable.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

I tell you what folks, that lady can cook lasagna. wow!!!!!!!! homemade noodles and all.
                                I do hope that wonderful lady will consider bringing a pan of that to the Seattle R&R gathering...(mouth watering...)... Tongue

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."