Masters Running

Friday, Dec. 12 Runs, Non-Runs and Rests (Read 474 times)

Maniac 505

sloppy day today, waiting for the snow and wind to move in, off to the gym in a while for some neglected weights, and to start working off some of that wonderful lasagna. I am signed up for the Jingle bells run (5K) Sunday, I will go since I can walk to the start, but I might be wearing my heaviest boots and my heaviest coat. Wish I had some Yak Traks Franc is signed up for it, It might be too ugly to even drive there in the snow and ice? and Tet's tie was commented on last night, he even wore shoes!!
      Oh, so that explains the 3pm start time. Practice for those 100K/100M runs they do all night long. Roll eyes What a bunch of nutcases.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

It looks like a great time was had by all at Franc's house. I love the picture! Tet sure looks like he's enjoying himself. I'm salivating over the lasagne. Tim, keep us posted on what the doc says about your foot after you have the MRI. I know it is not sounding good, but at least he gave you the thumbs up for pool running. I've got to say Tet, the way you describes that 50K race is enough to turn anyone off. I can't believe you weren't able to talk Franc out of it. I am now going to be eagerly awaiting her report of the race. Meg

Once a runner . . .

dg.

I thought the theme music as you entered the room was obvious . . . maybe not? Confused Welcome Tim! Cool {cue music} They're coming to take me away, HA HA They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA To the funny farm Where life is beautiful all the time And I'll be happy to see Those nice, young men In their clean, white coats And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!
          you took the words right out of my mouth

Marathon Maniac #3309

Boy what a day...now I am finally off for my MRI which the doc said wouldn't take long at all. For those wondering the why's and if's...You have to remember, the first doc recommended a boot that I declined because of how much I HAVE to walk around at work....which he said with a boot on, wouldn't work out so well. Plus, I still wanted to cross train. I do still limp, but I almost think it is out of habit now, rather than pain. Heck, right now my foot doesn't feel too bad...except for the places where they stuck me with the stoopid needles this morning. In a rush Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim... Spring of '07 my Dr (sports med guy) said "That's the worst case of Plantar Fasciitis I've ever seen". ... It all healed and went away toatally. But we did treat it like a severe sprain and "booted it" for like 6 weeks. You can walk with an "Aircast" boot. Immobilization was the key to my PF recovery. During the later healing stages I learned to run with one Smile Good luck. It will heal.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

munchkn883

5 miles for me in the chilly weather....wonderful walk!! Perch -- Were you on Garrett Rd. about 6:30 this morning?
                  great pic of the gathering last night!! i would love some homemade lasagna or gnocci's right now -- used to make homemade pasta with my nana growing up -- sure wish i kept that up!! tim - i hope the MRI helps send you in the right direction (and not to the nut house although that song will be stuck in my head now - thanks Tammy!! lol Wink) i bought some YAK TRAKS today!! now i have no excuses!! today was a state of emergency in Mass. and NH because of the ice storm but my 14 yr old still had school and the malls were still open so once the sun came out i was off to the malls!! my cross-training today consisted of abwork before i left the house and lots of MALL WALKING!! have a happy, safe weekend friends!!

denise

flatland mountaineer

Easy 3.1, kinda cold at 13 F but no wind to speak of so not too bad once I got my layers figured out again. Crosstrained this afternoon climbing and checking the corn in 6 grain bins, used to whack me out for the day, no big deal anymore. Still a little AT and hip a little tweaky, seem to take forever to get over completely. Can't fathom a ruptured Achilles, this tendonitis is bad enough. My college roomate had his Achilles severed when his horse stomped on it and had surgery to fix but 20 yr olds heal alot faster than us. Nice pic of the GTG.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

King of PhotoShop

Tet: Grrrr! Beautiful picture indeed. We have some lookers here. Enke, what are you doing here? Hollywood beckons. Franc, so you rolled it out the old-fashioned way, no pasta machine? Still following the pasta thread more than the running stuff. Spareribs
                        Crosstrained this afternoon climbing and checking the corn in 6 grain bins, used to whack me out for the day, no big deal anymore.
                        Ain't that great?!? Smile So sucked it up and did my hour of core/strength training when I got home. Unfortunately, during my warm up, I seemed to have done something to my left hamstring, which has been a problem in the past. I knew I should've stayed a sloth today. Wink Oh well - ice and ibu are a wonderful thing. Hopefully they'll make me all better for tomorrow's run. Tim - I did a boot cast for 4+ weeks when I severely sprained my ankle. It was obnoxious and you have to walk slower, but it's not horrible. It was better than the crutches I was on for the two weeks before. I didn't sleep in it, but I think I wore a smaller splint at night that held my foot steady.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Okay, I'll start us off with a non-run post. A bit of a stressfull night left me with a headache when I went to bed and still there this morning. It is starting to subside now - but needless to say - no running. Sad I really need a good run too - a clear my head run I think. Long story short - having a daughter stranded on the side of a road with no cell phone, flat (unrepairable)tire, in a city 100 miles away and a strange man helping her is about all a mom (and dad) can take. Good news is that she is home now, new tire and her phone will be delivered this morning. (she dropped her's in the toilet .... I asked .... it was clean water) I'm not so sure having a daughter away at college is such a wonderful thing. I hope Holly posts a picture of that new puppy today - I could use a puppy fix!! TGIF!
                          Mary, I am sooo sorry. Since I am in a stressful state right now, I totally missed about your DD...so very glad everthing worked out ok. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Steve, a PF boot is totally different than a AT boot...sorry I know this. Yours was to keep your foot upright, my foot needs to be stretched forward like pointing my toes all the times. Minor surgery today, that I will let ya know about later...I am tired and sleepy. Good night all... Tim

Yours was to keep your foot upright, my foot needs to be stretched forward like pointing my toes all the times. Minor surgery today, that I will let ya know about later...I am tired and sleepy. Good night all... Tim
                              Boy, you sure do know how to leave people in suspense! Wink Sleep tight, Timothy.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

TimBo, sorry to hear about the continued bad news. Holding my breath till tomorrow to read about your surgery and MRI results! Perch, that HIE sure makes you fast! I should try staying at one... Big grin Yesterday you said you tripped on an interstate on-ramp... what were you doing running on an interstate? Shocked Tramps, good luck on the half - looking forward to your RR! Leslie, your story about the oil field workers stopping to help you reminded me of a similar but opposite story: one night I had a flat tire on the way home, and a guy stopped to help... but he was dressed nicely (like in a suit), and I was in grubby fieldwork clothes. So I asked him to just park behind my truck with his headlights on, so I could see and be seen, and I changed the tire myself. He seemed to feel kind of bad about not helping, but it was actually a big help to have him there. Francesca, your homemade lasagna sounds wonderful! If you're bringing some to the Seattle R&R gathering, I might reconsider joining you guys! I have a pasta machine that I haven't used in years; I should get it out again. Enke, nice picture! But why do you have your coat on? Were you coming or going, or just cold? Munch, glad you got out for a walk today - how are you doing? I've been at a two-day training class and didn't have time to run or post yesterday, although I did read the daily. No, I didn't get up early and run before work... Roll eyes I thought about it for about a minute and decided no way. The only reason I thought about it for that long is that Tim asked us to stop with the excuses and go running. Sorry Tim, I'm just not a morning runner. Anyway, today I stopped at the rec center on the way home and ran 4 barefoot miles on the indoor track. Mile 3 was in 9:05, the rest 10:00-10:15.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.