Masters Running

Sat Jan 05 Daily Boomer/Master Runs (Read 810 times)

dg.

0700 55f 7.5 w/3 @ 6:35 a little practice run for race day today. easy warmup, some strides. then 3 miles at marathon pace chasing a group. ran 6:39, 6:32, 6:34. took a gel during that last mile just for practice. cool down jog and call it a day. workouts are done so early during tapers... what the heck am i going to do for the rest of the day???? shop. no???? ok. solarmix 11. will start carb depletion after tomorrow's 9-10 miler, up through wednesday morning's run. debated whether or not to deplete, as the recent research shows it doesn't make much difference. but i did it last year, so what the heck, i'll do it this year. it's an excuse to buy more macadamia nuts. but believe it or not, i get even more grumpy than normal after a few days without carbs... will try to my best to post nice posts... Roll eyes
    don't strain yourself. yesterday you called non-running people 'normal'. you're right on the edge.... careful now..
      After the recent cold spell, today is balmy! 4 miles in 33 minutes in 35 degrees and no wind. NFL second season starts today...Go Pats! Fran
        An hour 15 out there. Felt miserable...as I must be coming down with a fever..so hot during the run and tired felt like quiting and probably should have but even those of us who are experienced make some mistakes. Feeling weak and a little woozy right now, so will grab a shower, go pick up my car at the garage (finally ready) and then do some groceries before coming back for a snooze. Meeting my new woman's children tonight for the first time, so want to be ready for this very important occassion. Take care guys and gals Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

It's a balmy 25F with no wind
          Hmm, I ran after PDR got back and my weather widget said 19F at the start. 5 miles at GA effort today. It was nice to run in daylight for a change. Today I keg my english pale ale that I brewed two weeks ago. Should be ready to drink in a few days. Yum. Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:10/mi, AHR 152 (target 150) Overall: 5.1 miles, 41:41 Good runs!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

{{{Tallrunner}}} Hope you are feeling better soon! Good luck tonight! Out for a 9 miler this morning - longest run in about a month I'd estimate. Felt pretty good to tell the truth. However, I think my new 305 is posessed. At every mile lap it popped up with some message that I could not read - no glasses. I reset it when I was done and just now when I went to log the run it had disappeared! What is even stranger is that it says I ran 22 miles on December 29th - not! AND I ran 24 miles on March 31, 2007!!! Never even owned it then - and my longest run ever was 14 miles. Geech! I'll see what it does for me tomorrow. Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Tramps, just so you know, if I ever do run on a track, I will probably bring my Garmin, so that I don't have to count or push buttons (but don't let SR know!). It would be interesting to see how much spurious elevation the unit picks up. I figure since I will never do a race on a track, why get used to running on one? A track is just a big round ruler, and my Garmin frees me from ever having to use it. You can do intervals on a relatively flat bike path, or whatever.
              I hear ya. The problem is that I have very few options running from home and they all involve hills. I live on a ridge, in an area full of ridges, so I immediately hit hills in either direction. I just grin and bear it for tempo runs and generally think this is good for my training. But since I'm doing shorter distances this Spring, I'm thinking of working in some intervals more regularly and it would seem to undermine the purpose of the workout to be struggling with hills at the same time. As a result, I'll probably be hitting the track (or at least a flatter park) to do these.

Be safe. Be kind.

Ran15 miles this morning,7:30 am a real hilly coarse and of coarse we do have foot of snow on the ground. Roads were a bit slick and their was no shoulder to run on. Wind about 15 mph temp 31 at start, hit sleet and snow at mile 5 into the wind, after turn around wind at back ,start to rain lightly. 2:41 total run time. Had breakfast with fellow runners, about 35 of us afterwards. Run long run fast Marathon Derrick
                  Good morning, masters. Windy and rainy here and for once I don't have a long run planned! I have group friends out there now, though. Heh heh. Hope they're having fun. Big grin I'll get out for 6 miles later. I definitely have a full blown cold now. Not in my chest though. Knock on wood. Tim, I've had several injuries over the past 6 years that have kept me from running for a while -- Plantar fasciitis, 2 stress fractures, painful morton's neuroma, sciatica... Oh boy, I think I know all the emotions you feel not being able to run. It may help to remember that most of us are injured at one time or another. Now is just your time. It will pass and you'll be back out there. I once read an article about one of the women elite runners (I think it was Carrie Tollefson) and she said that she now thinks much more positively about time being injured -- because she knows it will mean time of rest and she'll only be stronger when she gets back out there running. I try to remember that, too. I've learned not to take running healthy for granted, either. Each day I have a pain-free run, I am thankful. Anything could happen tomorrow! Wink I haven't had calf issues, but I'd say your plan to try out 1-2 miles in the next few days sounds reasonable. Run and if you feel pain, stop. Or run until you start to feel any discomfort, then stop. Tramps, etc. -- okay, I should have qualified my statement in that I don't run short intervals anymore. All of my intervals I do now are no shorter than 1200m. or mile repeats. And for the past year or so, nothing shorter than 2-mile repeats. Tempo runs obviously aren't intervals. Sooooooo, that helps in the memory bank big time because I don't do more than 3-5 intervals. One day soon when I stop training for marathons and focus on 5-10ks, I'll have to figure out my watch and I'll come looking for you. CNY and 'posa -- you're killing me with all of this xc skiing talk! Smile I need a road trip to the Methow Valley this spring. Who's in? http://www.mvsta.com/
                    Nice runs today, whether they're Boomer runs or not. It was 29F and foggy when I headed out the door. 12.4 M @ 8:57 m/M. I was running with someone whose plan called for 20-25K, so she just made it. Other than a few icy sidewalks and honks from irritated drivers when we tried to run on the roads, it was a good run.

Manchild

One hour 12 minute and forty seconds to run 8.07 miles (sorry DH) Good for a 9:01 pace or thereabouts. I saw drivers from my neck of the woods heading out as I began my run and returning after I had made the turn and headed home. 40s and partial sun made for a pleasant long run. Chris
                      munchkn883

Wonderful, cold 6 mile walk in Umstead today. I thought I was going to freeze, but by the time I finished, I was ready to start stripping off the clothes. I found out the hard way why not to have dairy the night before a long walk...anymore info would definitely be TMI! Wink Tall -- Get some good rest and good luck tonight. Hope you post how things went. I think we should be called Masters of Boomerhood. Happy running/walking to you all!
                        PJH

CNYrunner - "Groovy" ...now that made me laugh! Big grin MC - What was 'carb depletion' supposed to do? Didn't hear of that before. 2 hour easy run this morning in nice temps. Total 12.3 miles @ 9:46 pace. HR of 132 was a nice surprise ... it's slowly dropping. PJ
                            Hopeful4ever.... It sounds like your memory is exhausted on the 305. You may have to go in there and delete some miles. Once it gets to that stage, the little messages pop up and data becomes distorted. Try doing that and then see what happens. By the way, you can download all the info onto your computer first, to be able to save it before you start deleting the various runs.
                            Vista
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Beautiful in Maine today. It was 8 degrees at 8 am when my running partner and I did 5.0 miles in 1:03. I love my Garmin!! We just took off down neighborhood streets and enjoyed the bright sunshine and white snow. We just had to be careful going around corners- the snow banks are so high that cars can't see you! It's the snowiest start to a winter in southern Maine since 1970. I love it! That's only the fourth time I've ever run 5 miles (my first was in August), and it felt great! I never had that, "Ack, I can't go any farther!" feeling. I can't believe I'm doing this! Next week I will increase to 5.5 miles. Have a great weekend! Teresa
                              Henrun

Yes, it's 'balmy' in New England-if 30's and sun are balmy Cool. Marj and I headed out for our weekly long run. The street was packed with runners-charity runners starting their Boston training. After 3 miles we parted our ways. Marj did mainly a Charles run (faster than me, as usual) and I headed along the Harbor Trail for a scenic view of Boston Harbor after stopping in the Boston Gardens for a quick drink and acting as a travel guided for several tourists who were looking for the FreedomTrail, etc. and watching a hockey game on the pond where the Swan Boats usually go. I did a point to point of 10.5 miles and took the T home while Marj got in 13 and got home shortly before I arrived. My knee has been painful for the last few days although it didn't bother me during the run. It mostly hurts on lateral motion. I probably hurt it dancing New Year's Eve. Guess I should stick to running Undecided.