Masters Running

40+'s On The Run W/E 5/9 (Read 436 times)

So did Ev do an official race report somewhere and I missed it??? Confused

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

yeh, it's about 18 topics down in this masters group forum. Get ya some popcorn and a diet soda....read and enjoy! Clowning around
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Well, son of a gun! I read it and commented. Geesh! Blush I have absolutely no idea where my head is today (except feeling like it's in a vice grip). The Hub has been sick for over a month (at least that's what it seems), one of my bosses is going home 'cause he doesn't feel good. I've been trying really, really hard to not pick my nose or stick my fingers in my mouth or eyes . . . . I'm not getting sick, I'm not getting sick.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey thanks for pointing that out Leslie ! and nice going on your hills and trails. Ev- great report and getting through your race. I know now what that wall feels like when contact is made! It ain't pretty! Jewels- almost free for the summer and good job on your run! Hope that continues for you. Carol- all done those tax returns or is it extension time? Cool pic in the avatar Jim.Those get filled with corn? Cindy- that mini boat sounds intriguing! is it a jet ski boat? Hi to anyone I missed! Going now to read reports from Kelly and WL. Smile

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi all! Just a quick note as I just got in. All I'll say for now is two things: 1. Old PR = 4:55:53, New PR = 4:31:40. 2. More miles (even slow ones) = faster running Big grin More later, Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Yahoooo! for Arla ! Very impressive !!!

flatland mountaineer

Woohoo Arla, looking forward to the report. Easy 2.2 recovery after work tonight in shorts and tee. I put on my discount bargain bin race shoes (mizuno elixars) just for kicks and they really felt good. I wore my trail shoes yesterday and felt pretty good today with the achilles. Note to self no snacking on raw carrots before a run. Nasty case of PF firing up on me now so Lynda ordered me a strassburg sock or whatever the he77 they call them. Finally saw the sun today. We really need to get back in the field soon. Nationwide planting progress is lagging by about 25% due to the wet weather. Spent most of the day in the office comparing bids. We are looking at a project to put up a new larger grain bin to increase our storage capacity and yep we fill them with corn. We have some bins in the yard then the "new" setup in my avatar put up in 1982 but our farm has doubled in acres since then. We were about to turn the corner on the "demand destruction" that had occured in the corn market since last July until this H1N1 virus hit, now its a little scary. Hog industry is taking a big hit in this and an innocent victim. No wonder there are no little guys left in the pig biz. Takes deep pockets to weather market volatility like this. Leslie sending you some virtual germex, u sure don't need to be getting sick now. some fast runs lately!! Your questions from last week. When I do custom spraying I just get a flat per acre fee to cover the chemicals/fertilizer plus the job. I rent ground to farm from landlords in several different ways .The most common now is just a $/acre cash rent. I pay them so many dollars for the use of their land and am responsible for all the inputs labor and get all the crop. The other common arrangement is the share rent, like the sharecroppers in the old movies. I am basically partners with the landlord, I do the work they provide the land and a share of the inputs and then we share the crop. Ev nice report I read it last week but then wheels kinda came off and I didn't get it commented on. Jewels bet you'll be glad when finals are all over, glad the knee is holding up. DD #2 still in the house? Joe hows the ol bod today? Frances rather belated post relating to run/walk etc but don't be afraid to run s l o w e r if running is too hard. Woods Lady nice race. Cindy you and Doug gonna have to bring your new boat down to Big Mac and we'll get the jet skiis fired up and love the dog stories. Carol hows the transition to morn runs going? I sneak some of my little runs work ok in the aft but the longer ones try and go in the morn so I just try and be flexible but know you have to plan better to manage your blood sugar etc.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Good morning to all...... Way to go Arla......what a nice PR you had there! Looking forward to your RR. You've put in some mileage over the past year and it all paid off. Woot, woot! Leslie, great going on your runs lately. Super nice pace with all those hills your doing. Your going to have a great race! How are you feeling Joe? Have you dried out? And Ev......I'm heading over to read your RR, coffee in hand! Congrats to Woods Lady on her 5K this past weekend. I read your race report and loved it. Carol, way to go on getting in some short runs here and there. That is my plan starting this weekend. Jim, your way of life seems never ending. A 2.2 in shorts and tee.....sounds nice and easy does it with that PF flarring back up again. 1. Daughter (18) is still moving out.....probably the last weekend of May. I'm not sweating it......she'll be back. I would be freaking out if she was leaving the state but it is right here in town. Joe, by the way, you mentioned your son just turned 18 as well......if he's a country boy, with a four-wheel drive, preferrably a Chevy, she just may be interested. Wink 2. Daughter (19) finishing up her 1st year of college this week. 3. Me......knee is doing fine. No, I'm not going to the doctor.......following Spareribs 90 day injury advice. Big grin Will be getting serious about ramping back up and hitting the gym and losing a few lbs. Have a great day everyone........Jewels
                  But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                    1. Old PR = 4:55:53, New PR = 4:31:40. Arla
                    Arla, that is HUGE! Congratulations on a great race. I'm so very proud of your accomplishment and envious of your high mileage training. Please write up a RR soon, cant wait to hear the details.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Arla - SWEET! What an amazing PR!! Keep this up and you'll be finishing those marathons in like 2.5 hours. Big grin FJ - Thanks for answering my question. Just curiosity is all. Farmers and ranchers - you have to absolutely love what you're doing 'cause it never goes away. I just wish more people understood and appreciated all your hard work. 3 steady miles for me this a.m. with a 9:14 av pace. Had a hard time getting the ole HR up in the first mile, but literally turned a corner and it started to climb - as did I. The road begins a steady incline. Nothing steep, but helps with the HR. It rained like crazy here yesterday, and with things so damp, I think it was a tad humid, but nothing oppressive. Only 2 more easy 3 miles and then my run. I'm getting excited! Talked to my SIL yesterday. She's from Russia, and she and my brother have been married for about 8 years now. She's been going to school for a big chunk of that time, improving her English, etc. She has a BA from her schooling in Russia and was always in management position, so being here, not working, and having to start everything all over again has been tough for her. This past year she's been taking classes regarding the wine industry, and I put together a resume for her. She got a job at winery down in the Napa Valley! Landmark Winery. She's be working in the tasting room. She's so excited, and I'm very happy for her.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Happy Tuesday Crew! Smile working into some awesome weather here on the Front Range! Yes lets see how much of it I can spend outdoors! WTG! WOO-HOO ARLA!! & I just know you had an awesome time Sunday! Wink Cool Big Congrats again to Woods Lady! You're a winner all the way around! Smile How ya feelin Joe? Ev? Arla? got the next one picked out yet? Wink Next on deck: Leslie! What a busy time in life you got going on there Jewels! Wink yup, I bet she comes back..... Jim & Lynda: You guys coming to Boulder? I'm still saying softer surfaces & easier running for those achilles Wink & back to whatever shoes were working before they raised their ugly heads!! the Mizuno computer diagnostic uncovered another improperly fitted person in our group! Roll eyes & hopefully will have DS off to a better start! u have jet skis? Evil grin how 'bout tents? I'd better get around to "explainin'" the boat.... MTA: Boat Story! First off, it's really a dinghy! ~ with a trolling motor! Shocked Big grin...... Okay....little background: I grew up on a lake. Have had boats. (nothing bigger than a sport boat, so don't ask me to tie knots! Roll eyes ) Doug grew up primarily in SW Nebr/NE CO ~ where the biggest body of water available to him was the horse trough! Several yrs ago, when we moved down to Denver, he hooked up with a group of friends, several of whom have a variety of sport boats & RVs & frequent the front range reservoirs, up to Guernsey, WY & annual jaunts out to Lake Powell, UT...(see: Red Neck Yacht Club!) Over the years we've brought Doug online somewhat with water sports - swimming(he'd never learned before!), tubing, wake boarding, river floats, dropping & driving the boat, some boat maintenance (male bonding over beer & wrenches).... & yeeess, the discussion has come up, several times, about us getting a boat too. Well, we've discussed the whole cost thing - time & $$ - & well, with everything else going on in our lives we just don't think we could justify the acquisition, nor do we own a vehicle big enough to tow one of those!....Anywho! Several years ago on a particularly windy day out at Lake Powell, a 12' Sevylor fishing troller (inflatable raft/boat) blew up into our campsite! When nobody came around to claim it by the end of the week (left word @ the marina too) & since everybody else has "real" boats, Doug & I took it home...& commenced to "outfitting our boat!" Now, somewhere in here I think I need to clarify that Doug & I are the minimalists in our little group. We've been know to show up for a week's camp-out in a Honda Civic or on motorcycles! ~while others of us are learning to level class A's, we are speedy tent pitchers! & a small one at that! Wink So, in shopping to outfit the boat, we're looking for small/compact options! I found a heavy canvas army duffel @ the surplus store that holds the boat AND all the gear quite nicely! (rope, paddles, cushions, can koozies...) We started taking the "boat" along to most of the camp-outs...& rather enjoyed being able to float about in the cove while the others were all dealing with "motor-home" issues, parking the boat trailer, etc...well, yes, we help with stuff - but still end up usually having more free time than they do! So. One fine day, we're cruising through Walmart browsing through backpacking style camping gear & lo & behold! Doug spies a petite little trolling motor! Suddenly, he has an idea for freeing up one hand to hold beer while still being able to scoot around the lake! sorta... Roll eyes well, this takes several tries to get it right, & is highly entertaining to the participating menfolk! But soon, we're tooling around in our little floaty boat w/a Barbie sized trolling motor for propulsion! Yay! Happy Doug! Amused friends! ~they still think we need to get a real boat! Doug's thinking, "only if it's small enough to tow behind a Civic or MC! & fit through the gate into the backyard"........ Side track: something none of us apparently knew, but were "enlightened" by overzealous park rangers, was that when you stick any method of propulsion (other than paddles) onto any form of floatation device, you then need to register your BOAT!! Shocked & then you gotta have life vests, horn (whistle), yada, yada, yada!! So, we were faced with, hang up the trolling motor or get letters & numbers & all the other "required" gear for our "boat!" HaHa! (I thought they were kidding! They gave us a written warning! Clowning around Okay then! Evil grin If'n I gots ta register ma boat, I wants a real boat trailer & stuff!! & to use the boat ramp & to park with the BIG boats an Big grin Big grin (anybody know where I can find a Barbie sized wake board or skis??) we found a smaller floaty raft to tow behind....it'll hold a baby keg w/an orange skier flag Wink All this gets Doug to thinking that maybe, just maybe, he wants just a tad more boat...... So! Doug's out running in the neighborhood near his shop when he spies....what appears to be a miniature sailboat!! He is fascinated!! but not obsessed - just yet....He finally found the residents home to chat with them about it. Yup, sailboat. w/motor. Very light. Trailer looks large jet ski sized. No, they wouldn't sell it, been in the family for years & years.. Sad....then one of our neighbors gets a jet boat.....he looks....and thinks....nope, too big for the motorcycles (really like that little sailboat!)....then two weeks ago, stuck in standing tfc, we see what looks like a miniature sail boat sitting in front of a marine store! Roll eyes WTH! We got nothing else to do! But in chatting w/the owner of the store about the pros & cons & what we'd be using it for, well.....that's not what we got......we got this.....Now! I'm betting that 1) it'll be in the water by weekend (would've been already but for the weather) & 2) we're getting a bigger motor! Big grin ......Now, how does that go? "Stay tuned for further adventures of....."Boating with Doug!" (anybody here familiar with the Red-Green show?) Clowning around
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

I want a job as a wine taster! Where do I sign up for that? So a friend of mine that used to work for the company that I work for was in the marathon on Sunday.I did not see him but we had talked. He is a few years older (53) but has a few more years running on me. His BQ time for his age would be 3:35. His chip time- 3:34:59 ! He didn't set out to BQ but was running well and went for it. Made it by one friggin' second! He's really funny about it, tells me only his running friends( not many) can appreciate it. Quads are not nearly as sore as yesterday ,but still a little tender. I'll be running some fun runs this summer like local 5 milers and 5k's, but my eye will be on the fall marathons again soon.

flatland mountaineer

Unexpected cross training this morning. Lynda and I went to check on a field drove into it with 4x4 engaged on my pickup and promptly buried it, so 2 mile walk home. hmm wine taster, I would like that job 'cept they prolly make u spit it out. Angry Cindy we might still be planting by BB Confused Joe sounds like u r recovering nicely, holy cow 26.2 miles and bq by 1 sec............thats a happy man off to go get my pickup outa the mud, hopefully don't stick the recovery vehicle Wink

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I don't think they'll be lettin' her taste, more like she'll be pourin' for the payin' crowd. I'm trying to figure out a free wine angle on this one. Wink A nice, crisp chardonnay would be just the ticket!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

But in chatting w/the owner of the store about the pros & cons & what we'd be using it for, well.....that's not what we got......we got this..... "Stay tuned for further adventures of....."Boating with Doug!" (anybody here familiar with the Red-Green show?) Clowning around
                                that's an awesome boat! And it has the requisite drink holders. Love Red Green