Masters Running

Pet Food Recall Due to Salmonella Poisoning (Read 197 times)

I just saw this today:

On May 4, 2012, Diamond Pet Foods expanded a pet food recall due to possible salmonella contamination.  More than a dozen people in several states may have been infected due to contact with contaminated pet food.   Affected foods include specific lots of dry dog and cat food branded as:

Diamond Pet Food
    Kirkland Signature (Costco brand)
    Natural Balance
    Wellness (WelPet LLC)
    Canidae
    Apex Pet Foods

These foods were widely distributed in the U.S. and Canada.

You can check your pet food to see if it has been recalled.  Affected bags of food have best-before dates between December 9, 2012, and April 7, 2013.   Recalled foods include:

·  Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
    ·  Country Value
    ·  Diamond
    ·  Diamond Naturals
    ·  Premium Edge
    ·  Professional
    ·  4Health
    ·  Taste of the Wild
    ·  Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb
    ·  Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken
    ·  Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken
    ·  Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken &    Vegetables
    ·  Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula
    ·  Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula
    ·  Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs
    ·  Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy
    ·  Canidae Dog, All Life Stages
    ·  Canidae Dog, Chicken Meal & Rice
    ·  Canidae Dog, Lamb Meal & Rice
    ·  Canidae Dog, Platinum
    ·  Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog
    ·  Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog
    ·  Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Dog
    ·  Natural Balance Vegetarian Dog
    ·  Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Large Breed Bites
    ·  Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Small Breed Bites

Salmonella is a bacterial infection that can affect both animals and humans.  Symptoms may include decreased appetite, diarrhea, fever, vomiting, and abdominal pain.  Pets and people who carry the disease can infect others, so if you or your pet are experiencing symptoms and you have purchased and used the affected dog food, take all due precaution and see a doctor and/or veterinarian.  You can prevent spread of the disease by washing your hands thoroughly and following physician instructions.

If you have purchased one of the recalled pet foods, you should immediately stop feeding it to your animals, and contact the place you purchased the pet food from - refunds may be available.  For complete information, visit the Diamond Pet Foods recall page, the Costco pet product recall pages, the Natural Balance recall page, the Wellness recall page, the Canidae recall page, or the FDA's recall page, which has information on multiple brands in the Animal Health section.  The CDC also has information on documented salmonella contamination.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

We feed our dogs Diamond Naturals, lamb and rice, which is one that was recalled - but it only affected those produced out of the Gaston SC plant  (which has had numerous problems in the past also). We checked all our bags and the product numbers didn't match up, thank goodness. The voluntary recall actually took place a couple wks ago and sadly it wasn't until HUMANS contracted it, that it became newsworthy (ok,, pretty sad that humans are eating the dog food too), Sick dogs weren't enough to get their attention. A lady I know who lives in NY had all 3 dogs get extremely ill and she's been fighting Diamond on this ever since her vet diagnosed them and said it came from the Diamond food. Diamond, as a company, dismissed her claims. She was contacted by a news team and was interviewed last night to bring attention to the salmonella problem and dogs that got sick.

Tammy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Tammy, the people contracting the salmonella through the handling of the food and then not washing their hands.   I suppose it is possible that some people eat the dog food too, but they could buy cheaper brands .....I am guessing.    Wink

We don't use this brand, but thanks for posting about it Leslie!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

TammyinGP

Tammy, the people contracting the salmonella through the handling of the food and then not washing their hands.   I suppose it is possible that some people eat the dog food too, but they could buy cheaper brands .....I am guessing.    Wink

We don't use this brand, but thanks for posting about it Leslie!

ahhh, okay. hadn't thought of that. I guess I just thought of contracting salmonella through consumption.

Tammy

Slo

This is true and most likely the primary reason.

SteveP

Thank You Leslie!!!! Off to check the mutt's mighty munch crunchy stuff now.

Note to self....Mix dog food with check mix in employee break room again.

SteveP

Steve - Big grin

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance