Masters Running

Master Runners Introductions! (Read 228 times)

TammyinGP

I'll get the thread started. If you posted your intro in yesterday's daily, please just copy/paste it here if you'd like.  And then others can add an intro here. It'll be nice to re-read the ones from friends we've all known a long time, and a great place for new master runners to get familiar with who we are (or maybe scare them away before they even come out of lurk mode??!) 

Someone can pin this to the top right? Holly?

Tammy

I'm Karen from the Nashville area.  I've been running for about 40 years.  Been here on RA since 2009- mainly in the Swamp and the women's "secret" forum called the LLR, but I pissed off the Queen of that group and got banned.  I have 2 runner/triathlete grown kids (one is on RA- kmays- and 2 old Golden Retrievers and 4 cats.   I'm a senior lawyer/VP for a large retail company and I love my job.

I've been in Tennessee for 10 1/2 years and was in Dallas for almost 30 years before that.  My husband and I met as runners in Dallas. He still runs but mainly cycles.

I've run about 40 marathons with a PR of 3:08.  I've run 2 ultras (50 miles and 100K) back in the day.   I "streak" and my current streak is 650 days of running at least a mile a day.  I'm averaging about 5 miles a day.  Streaking is not the smartest thing, and you have to know when to let it go (eye surgery, bad injury, international travel), but somehow it keeps me sane.

I am a brand ambassador for Oiselle and love their stuff.  Back in the day I had a "real" sponsorship by the Texas Rangers baseball team.  They made a sports drink called RangerAid and it was terrible.   I never quit my day job.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

pfriese

Hi, I'm Paul. I live in a suburb of OKC. DW & I have been married for 40 years. My daughter lives in Seattle area with her husband & 2 kids so I get up that way a lot. My son lives in Michigan so I get up there a couple of times a year. We also have a close relationship with an exchange student we hosted from France back in 2000 and we visit her family annually. Both DW & I like to travel and I can generally find a race to run wherever we are in the world. I've been retired for a couple of years now & love it. I call DW my corporate sponsor but she is starting to consider retirement. 

I think I'm the last Oklahoman still around. Opie not only doesn't post in here anymore, but he moved to New Mexico. I haven't seen evryday post since early this year.

I started running in 2004 & probably found the CR forums sometime in 2005. My posting to the daily is a bit irregular & usually fairly brief. I rarely miss posting on Holly's 40/40 weekly thread. And I don't think I've ever missed a monthly mileage thread (wildchild & milktruck). I've met a lot of y'all irl & and am Facebook friends with quite a few others that no longer frequent RA. 

Paul

Hi, I'm Fatozzig aka Leslie and I live in the far reaches of Northern California in Humboldt County, behind the Redwood Curtain, about 6 hrs north of San Francisco.  I'm married with 5 cats, no kids.  I work as a paralegal and love my job.

I started running shorty after turning 40 when I got tired of doing "The Firm" in my living room and after listening to a friend talk about running in the woods.  Fairly soon after I began running, she dragged me to the Arcata Community Forest for a 5-mile run. I seriously thought I was gonna die and wondered how much it would cost for rescue to come on their 4-wheelers and get me . . . and I've been hooked on trail running ever since.  I've run a number of 50ks, four 50 milers (finished 2, DNF'd 2), and really want to give a 100-miler a shot before I die.  I'm slower than a turtle in peanut butter and am always racing the cutoffs, but I don't care.

I found RA after zombies took over CoolRunning and have been blessed to be a part of two RA meetups.  The people here in the Masters Forum are wonderful and I often rely on them as my sounding board.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Hi!

I'm Tammy. I live in Grants Pass. And that's how I cleverly came up with my handle 

I'm 50, started posted in the Boomers & Beyond forum on Coolrunning when I was 40 (minus 3 or 4 mos. So I cheated).   I didn't start running until I was almost 40 also, although I did spend about a year running at age 30 when I lived in Seattle and did a few of the famed short distance races like their St. Paddy's day race and Beat the Bridge run.  

So, I'm married for 18 yrs, and we have one son, 17 yrs old, current tennis player, but had a sweet but short running career in middle school and as a freshman.  So, I'm now the lone runner in the family but my DH does like to attend some of my races, as long as weather is nice, it's not too early in the morning, and it's not too far away . . . so he pretty much doesn't go to many races  

I'm not a heavy duty mileage runner but aim for between 80-90 miles per month. Haven't hit it yet this year though but I keep trying. 

I've run anything from 5K's to marathons, but my favorite distance is a half. Marathon training just takes too much time and I'm spread thin as it is. 

I work FT in criminal defense law, am on board of directors of an animal related advocacy non-profit, coach middle school cross country, and enjoy doing all that "old fashioned" family stuff like growing our own food, making things from scratch, canning or drying foods, etc.

oh, and spend as much time as I can with my 2 black labs (siblings) that are 6 and our senior black lab rescue who is 12.

Tammy

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I'm Lori. From Windsor Ontario. For those who don't know where that is just think south of Detroit.

I'm married. 3 adult kids. 2 still at home and one of their SO's.

Been running for about 11 years. I'm slow but working on getting faster. I've got about 15 marathons and 3 ultras under my belt.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

coastwalker

I’m Jay, and I live with DW near the short (18 mi.) coastline of NH, where we’ve lived since ’98. We’ve been married for 38 years, and have no kids (DW is one of 14, so we have oodles of relatives who have oodles of kids we can play with and spoil), but we do have a cat. I’m looking forward to joining a new age group next year. I’m semi-retired (OK - mostly retired) from our business that makes/markets products for dentists to use when treating patients with special needs. DW describes me as a ‘civic slave’ because I do a bit of volunteer work. I started running in ’89 on a bet, and changed to racewalking in ’03 after foot surgery. These nice folks let me hang out here anyway because I suppose it is good (and weird) to have a token racewalker. Twocat even let me join Rosie's (not Holly's new pup) team for the Reach The Beach Relay twice, and you should do it if you haven't because it's a blast. I do my workouts at 4am because that is the only time of the day that I can consistently call my own. I’ve been part of this group since the CoolRunning days, and am delighted to know you great people who populate this space, and to have had the great pleasure of meeting a few of you in real life.

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, married, mother of two, 14yo and 20yo at this posting, both at home and in high school and college, respectively.  Elder Law paralegal, so I do the crisis Medicaid and Veterans Benefits cases.  Live in SW Ohio with my family plus my 10yo Cairn/Westie and new Westie puppy.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

I’m Mike E (aka Mike) and I have the usual old story that might best be told like this:

It’s the story of a lovely lady

Who was bringing up a boy a two young girls.

All of them had hair of gold, like their mother,

And, yes, the youngest one did, in fact, have curls.

It’s the story, of a man named Mike E,

Who was busy with three kids of his own,

It was the four of them, living all together,

Yet, sometimes, Mike felt all alone.

Till the one day when the lady met this fellow

And they knew it was much more than a hunch,

That this group must somehow form a family.

That's the way we all became the Evans Bunch.

The Evans Bunch, The Evans Bunch,

That's the way we became the Evans Bunch.

Yes, the story may sound like a familiar TV show...and while Mr. Brady and I might have the same first names—that is where the similarities stop. Not only was I not smart enough to always have the answers to all the issues that came up like Mike Brady did, but I was also not smart enough to quit having kids! We had two more boys together and then we were another popular TV sitcom...Eight is Enough...and, fortunately, I am not familiar with their jingle...

We are, also, now “blessed” with 18 grandkids and 1 great grand kid...our kids learned nothing from us!

And, when I'm not playing the role of a dad or grandpa, I like to run...actually, I love to run.  I have run my entire life.  My mom always liked to tell the story of, when I was an infant, they would stand me up to try to get me to walk, but I would take off running and fall down.  So it took me forever to learn how to walk.  I loved listening to her tell that story because she would always laugh.

I am, currently, trying to run marathons in all 50 states + DC and have 10 marathons to go.  I have been very fortunate to have run 4 marathons with 2 of my boys.  Hey!  I think I have a couple of pictures to share.  Are we allowed to share pictures?

This is Mikey and me at the finish of the 1998 Twin Cities Marathon.  Mikey's 1st marathon.

No automatic alt text available.

And here is Ryan and me running together at the Rocket City Marathon in 2013.  We always love running together and I think this picture shows it.

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and outdoor

Okay--that's enough about me.

an amazing likeness

I'm Andy. I use the 'milktruck' handle here on RA simply because I like the little picture of the milk bottle hustling along -- I'm shaped the same and sweat a lot...it's a good avatar for me.

I live in Maine, in what's called the mid-coast region north of Portland, Maine on the coast, about 2.5 hours drive north of Boston as an orientation.

I'm a hobby jogger and use running to get some time outside and undo the lethargy of sitting in an office all day, I aim for running, on average, about an hour a day.

I'm an occasional interloper in the daily topics, but not a regular because if I were I'd post the same each day -- ate some raisin bran, went to work. came home, ran 6.5 miles, ate dinner, repeat.

Over the years I've been able to meet a few of the RA folks here and in other groups -- and universally it's been humbling to meet such accomplished runners and genuinely nice people.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Tramps

• I come from a long line of Québécois peasants and was born and raised in northern New Hampshire, which may explain my fondness for hockey and my aversion to warm-weather running. I went to school in Boston, spent a few years in NYC, and--somewhat inexplicably--have lived in Virginia for a long time, first in Richmond and then mid-way between Richmond and Washington, DC. 
                        • Self-employed/semi-retired, happily married forever, child-free.
                        • Hockey as a kid.  Active but not athletic as an adult. 
                        • My very first race of any sort was the 1996 Richmond Marathon....back when they had relay teams with 6.5 mile segments. (A colleague recruited me to fill an open spot even though I'd never run 6.5 miles in my life.) I ran off and on---mostly off--for a few years but it didn't stick. 
                        • A decade later, now in my mid-40s with a slowing metabolism, I hit 170 pounds and it was a wake up call. I started running more deliberately to lose a few pounds. The growth of running information on the internet at the time really helped me learn the basics and run more sensibly.  In late 2004 (?), I joined a running forum called CoolRunning; the perfect environment for an introvert who likes to write. The people in the Masters sub-forum were especially friendly, unpretentious, and helpful. However, they often ran marathons, which just seemed crazy and something I'd never, ever want to do.
                        • I ran my first marathon in 2006 (Richmond again), proving that your mother was right to be concerned about who you hung around with.  Cool Running was bought out by Active (2007?), which ruined it with in-your-face advertising and tone-deaf management, among other things.  Eventually some of us migrated here to Eric's excellent site, Running Ahead.
                        • After having run regularly for about a decade, in 2014 I took on a temporary project that involved a time-sucking commute and my running--and participation here--floundered quite a bit. That gig wrapped up late 2016 and I've been trying to run and participate here more regularly again.
                        • I like the simplicity of running, so I try to keep things simple. I don't care much about gear.  I don't travel much to races and I enjoy small local ones best. I'm a perennial mid-packer without a lot of natural speed but I race to train.  That is, signing up for a race scares motivates me to adopt a plan and train regularly. Rather than just do races for fun, I like to limit the number of races I do, prepare as best as I can, and see how well I can execute my plan. That, to me, is fun.
                        • A sad postscript: diagnosed with multiple meniscus tears in summer of '17; distance running days are over.  Took up a bit of cycling for exercise and hope to mix in some short runs again to keep it interesting.

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

Howdy. I'm Norm and live in a northern suburb of Indianapolis called Carmel (recently voted best small city to live in the US - sorry we're full up now and not accepting new residents ) with my wife of 25 years, 3 kiddos, two dogs, 3 cats and a horse. I work for a large multi-national developing and installing energy efficiency projects for US Federal Government clients. I'm an engineer by training but seem to be a jack of all trades. I've been in the energy business in some form for more than 20 years.

My hobbies include running (big surprise) and golf (which I never get to play enough). Played golf and soccer for my college. Born and raised in Germany up to HS and a big Bayern fan (we'er not talking about yesterday ok). I've run lots of marathons. Mostly slow and steady. A few Boston's and one ultra (want to do more of these). Active in several civic groups including our local running club board. DW says I need to say "no" to volunteering every now and then.

I've met a few people on here IRL and hope to meet more of ya. But beware, in some forums I am considered a downright horrible person so fair warning.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

spacityrunner

Liz:  Civil Servant for the feds.  Started posting on coolrunning then came to RA when coolrunning blew up.  Live in Hot springs Village AR.  Did live in DC when I started posting.  Single, no kids, 2 cats and a dog.  Boring boring boring   Getting ready to retire soon...(like this year or next).  I like trail running the best, street running 2nd best.  Have met up with sooooo many of you and had a blast.  Hope those of you I've hung out with can say the same 

Trails Rock!

Hi, Starr here. I have been on this forum ever since the CoolRunning site fell apart. The Couch-to-5K led me to that site back in 2004 when I wanted to start running. My goal was to eventually run around our lake, 4.72 miles. I am 60 years young and work in customer service.  We have three children and six grandchildren who make me smile.  We have lived in three different houses around Lake Okabena in SW Minnesota where we both grew up. I run mainly for fitness with a few races here and there.  Running is so hard for me but I am persistent at it.  I completed 3 half marathons last year, yeah! My secret goal is to run a triathlon (super-sprint) someday.  Oops, I guess it's not a secret anymore.

Meeting many of you at various races has been a highlight for me. Such talented, funny, caring RA members are such an inspiration to me. Some days knowing that I can post my run here is what gets me out the door.

I am looking forward to retirement in about a year, and being able to run any time during the day. Also will have time for hobbies such as quilting, piano and gardening.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Hollyruns31

Hi, I'm Holly- fairly new as a Master's runner. (I'm 41). Lots of stops and starts in my running game over the last 20 years. I'll chalk that up to 4 pregnancies and numerous injuries. I've run every distance but ultras and have landed right back on the 5k as my favorite distance. I've recently gotten into cross training after I stubbornly resisted for a long time- and what do you know, I'm currently injury free and hit a PR in December. Now I'm wondering... how much can I improve my times at 41 years old? I'm going to try! Here goes..!