Masters Running

Tuesday, May 3 New Beginnings Runs (Read 395 times)

jtv

Congrats on the new job Holly!

10 easy miles on my new road bike this am.  Trying to mix it up between running, racewalking, and biking.

Back from the doc.  *sigh* Well, it's okay news and crappy news.

The crappy news - I'm still on crutches.

The okay news - I get to start, little by little putting pressure on the foot.

The crappy news - It's not a stress fracture, and there is still inflammation and swelling showing on the MRI.

The crappy news - I would've been better off with a stress fracture. 

The crappy news - Might have torn the tendon on the downhill run, and if so it's healing as best as can be expected right now.

The crappy news - He thinks I have RSD in the foot.  At the onset of the injury, the nerves went wacky from the stress and are still totally wacked out.  He said most people show up at his office when the nerves have progressed to a "wildfire."  He thinks I have more of a "trash can fire," and it's just a matter of getting them to calm down.  Have to keep up  with the contrast baths and nerve stimulation.

The crappy news - It could take 6-9 months for them to calm down.

The crappy  news - I go back to him on the 27th and he hopes I've progress to putting 50% pressure on the foot.  Only 50%!

The crappy news - Doc: "Sometimes stress can  make our bodies heal slower.  Are you under any stress right now?" Me (trying to not break out into a combination of hysterical laughter and crying, because, well, yeah . . .): "I am under so much stress right now, it's absolutely ridiculous, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel."  Doc: "Are you eating?" Me: "I'm trying.He gently admonished me to eat better, get more protein in my diet.  When I told him I was seeing a counselor, he said that was going to be his next suggestion. 

Did I mention I really love this doc?  He's very matter of fact, gives you the straight poop.  He suggested PT and I told him no can do.  I absolutely cannot take on anymore debt right now.  I just can't.  So we'll see how it goes and over the next 3 weeks.

Sooooo - When I fly to Conference in Los Angeles May 18 thru 22, I'm going to be on crutches.  Wonder if the hotel has wheelchairs, 'cause the place the conference is being held is suppose to be huge.  *sigh* I would say I need a drink, but that's probably fairly inappropriate at this point in my life.  I'd settle for my pajamas, a box of donuts, and a gallon of milk. Wink  Oh, and shoving a crutch up the a$$ of the attorney who parked in my parking space while I was gone, so I had to park in the lot across the road and stump back.  His reason for parking there: "Oh, I had a gym bag I didn't to carry."  WTH??  And it's not even my parking space.  It's the assigned parking space of my co-worker and sweet buddy, Denise, who has graciously let me take it until I'm on two feet.  Grrrrrrrrr!  He's oblivious to the fact he's dealing with a crutch wielding chick who doesn't even have a last nerve left and quite possibly is PMS!!!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

[[[[[[ footzig ]]]]]]...........sorry for the Crappe'.....

..........28min poolrun  (hint-hint)

was

thinking today

the only thing that could ruin this is

if

they ever

invent poolrunning racing

right now, they think I'm doing it right.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

OrangeMat

MM #6177

{{{{Leslie}}}} My birthday wish is that you breathe a little easier in all this stress... and even if that seems unfathomable to you right now, know that I'm here breathing for you. Be kind to yourself. You're the only you you've got.

4.3 sluggish miles.  Ate lunch just 45 minutes prior to my run, bleh.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

..........28min poolrun  (hint-hint)

was

thinking today

the only thing that could ruin this is

if

they ever

invent poolrunning racing

Big grin

Thanks, OM.  AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

C-R

That's great news Holly. Enjoy the new job.

Get better soon Leslie and Mary.

Sure are lots of people racing around here. Good luck all.

I finally got back on the road today. Both for work and for running. Currently in DC. This place is interesting to say the least. Anyway I slogged out a little more than 7 painful miles. But it felt good. First run since my dad past away last week and it seemed the right time to get back on the road. No downer here. He moved to a better place and we will have a right proper Irish wake but still.....

Anyway, I'll be posting more of my inane drivel and looking forward to sharing the road and reading the stories in here.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Norm, so sorry to hear about your dad. Hope you and your family are hanging in there.

Leslie, sorry about the bad news from the doc. That's tough.  Hope your kitties cuddle with you and cheer you up!

I'm heading out for a RAW and will keep you both in my thoughts.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

since my dad past away last week

Norm, I'm so sorry to hear about that -  many condolances on your loss....

Leslie - {{{hugs}}} - can you research PT exercises and do them on your own?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oh Norm/C-R big hugs to you and a right proper Irish wake sounds grand. Glad you will be posting more again

Leslie, OM said it best and I am sending {{{{{}}}}} too---as many as you need.

Run number two in the can---ran the Tuesday night x-country 5k after a jam packed work day----practically ran in my high heels, but made it in time. Good strategy since I ran 42 seconds faster than last week even after having a bit of gravel hors d'oeuvre ---trail racing flats and all and a$$ over tea kettle while trying to get over a tree trunk that had fallen over the course. Yee haw. Great fun, 21:58, and 9.7 total miles on the day with the morning trot.

The new job details sound great Holly.

Mike E

MM #5615

Very sorry about your dad, Norm.  I used to always avoid people who had just lost a loved one.  Then my mom died and I realized that all I wanted to do was to talk about her and tell everybody about her.  So--anytime you want to talk....

Leslie--man, I wish I could say something that would lift you up--but, you're right--that is all crappy stuff!  I have always felt, though, that God would not put on us what we can't handle--you'll get through it all, I'm sure.

I did my 10 miler with the mile added at the beginning and the end, again.  The weather was absolutely perfect--55--sunny--slight wind--it just felt great being out there.  As I rounded the corner at the 8 mile mark, I spotted a runner ahead.  I don't know about all of you, but when there's another runner on my course, it's no longer a run--it's a race.

I have raced many people over the years on my course.  Oh, most of them are just people out for a quiet evening jog, or even a leisurely bike ride--they can be 4 years old or 94 years old--if they're on my course--they're in a race.  These poor people never know what hit them.  Of course, none of them realize they're in a race, until I go flying by.  Or, if I can't catch them, they never even realize that I just busted a gut trying to catch them because...well...I'm behind them and they're just doing their thing.

Anyway--as I got closer to this guy I realize it's my son's girlfriend's dad.  Crap!  At first I went flying by...and then I felt guilty and turned around, ran back to him, and ran about 3/4 of mile with him.  He's a nice guy and it was nice to break up the run for a little bit but--I was moving, dang it.  Oh well.  So--12.1 miles in 1:23:13.

Mariposai

V\

I have raced many people over the years on my course.  Oh, most of them are just people out for a quiet evening jog, or even a leisurely bike ride--they can be 4 years old or 94 years old--if they're on my course--they're in a race.  These poor people never know what hit them.  Of course, none of them realize they're in a race, until I go flying by.  Or, if I can't catch them, they never even realize that I just busted a gut trying to catch them because...well...I'm behind them and they're just doing their thing.

Anyway--as I got closer to this guy I realize it's my son's girlfriend's dad.  Crap!  At first I went flying by...and then I felt guilty and turned around, ran back to him, and ran about 3/4 of mile with him.  He's a nice guy and it was nice to break up the run for a little bit but--I was tmoving, dang it.  Oh well.  So--12.1 miles in 1:23:13.

This made me smile tonight. I am a lone runner. Not very many people run in my town, so 99% of the time I am the only running on my lovely country road, so I delight when I read you city folks running with other runners or trying to pass other runners.

8 miles for my wings. All easy, when I got back home I spent an hour working on my yard. This is a fun time of the year for me...I enjoy seeing the seeds I have planted a few weeks back are coming alive. Carrots and sunflower placed on the grown today and it made me happy.

Karin, a win!!!!!!!!!!! hurray and on high heels Big grin.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Okay - Karin's and Mike's runs are the Runs of the Day.  Sounded like way too much fun!  Big grin

Holly - I actually posted over on the Health and Nutrition forum to see if there's a PT who might be able to share his/her wisdom with me. 

I also realized tonight when I was motoring around that once I get to a certain point of adding weight to my foot with the crutches, I might be able to pull off a sort of TomW "walk," except with crutches.  I'll have to test it on the sidewalks around work in a week or two.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

Sorry about your dad, Norm, but glad to hear it's a case of him being in a better place. Glad to have you back out on the road.

Today I went out for a RAL because DS2 had a soccer game at 5:30. I wanted to get 6 miles in, but wasn't sure what the legs would feel up to. I've been feeling kind of behind the action lately after battling that nasty cold for so long. But, even with the wind (about 10 mph, a lot for us but nothing for some of you) and an uphill start, I felt pretty sproinky today. So.... decided to see where I could take that. Ended up with 6.21 miles @ 7:50 avg pace. I'll confess that at mile 2.6 I turned around and headed to DH's office, which is for the most part a gentle downhill trip with a wonderful tailwind! Still... I had fun. DH says I skidded into his office with a big ol' grin on my face, and he knew I'd had a good run before I said a thing.

Mile splits: 

8:15 (downhill first .6 mile)

8:25 (headwind and uphill past the reindeer farm)

8:04

7:44

7:25

7:14

7:10 for the last .21 mile

That's the first time I've pushed the effort on a tempo run in a while, and I'll admit to enjoying the breaks at the couple of intersections where I had to wait for cars. Still, a nice confidence booster before Saturday's 5k.

SteveP

I'm very sorry to hear about your father Norm. Of course he's in a better place, but it's normal to miss them. The good people here really helped me when Mom passed.

SteveP