Masters Running

What would you stop running to pick up? (Read 455 times)

....well, I kick rocks off the Track.....probably doesn't count...... when I had a Bad Back, I'd think twice if I dropped my Car Keys....... I will. however, pick up Rope.........don't know why that is.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

flatland mountaineer

I run on dirt roads in farm country. I found a $70 clevis for towing which I stashed for later pickup. I always pick up nails, screws or anything that will punture a tire. Stupidest thing I tried to pick up was a half buried tarp strap bungee, it stretched 2X its normal length then snapped free whacking me with a metal S hook.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

seemomgo

I too leave the change for kiddos to find - my running route is a path used by the elementary school kids. Strangest thing I've brought home is a fox skull. I tied it up in my jacket safely and brought it home for the kids to take to school. It had all of it's teeth and was really cool! I also once brought home a snake skin. The fox skull was a lot cooler though!
        Privetera

I will come out of lurking for this one. We on a coutry road in the middle of somewhat crowded NJ I am alwaya finding wonderful things on the road. Once while running with my wife we picked up a little kitten which very contently hung out in my jacket for the run home. I have found dvd players ( the kids still use that one in the car), more tools than I can write about. a 4 foot beach ball, That was fun gettin back. a 3 foot serving platter (Which may come in handy next time we have 60 or 70 people over ) an injured squirell ( went back for the car for that one.) Someones pet rabbit ( with floppy ears, (he did not want to come home with us.) a wooly lamb which jumped the fence. I alway stop to pick up nails and srews and my mechanic will attest to the fact that those I miss aong the way I pick up with my tires quite often ( the building boom is till alive and well here reguardless of the sub prime mess ) many bungie cords, which always makes me wonder what happened to what they held? I could go on and this is only on a 2 mile there and back!
          HermosaBoy

About the only thing I am stopping to pick-up is a single running goddess! Blush

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

PJH

Interesting thread, Vista. I was actually thinking of this the other day when I found 26 cents during one run. I've probably picked up $1.00 over the past year. I keep looking for that elusive $20 bill, but it's causing bad form so I should probably give it up. PJ
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I found a cordless phone (not a cell) along the road running in Maine last summer. Not that I picked any up, but it's also easy to know when berry season starts for the foxes in the area, Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #3309

About the only thing I am stopping to pick-up is a single running goddess! Blush
                  Hey.....that was going to be my line Big grin If there where a race to the "single running goddess" you would beat me to her with your speedy legs Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

coastwalker

Except for these few months of late spring and summer, I'm working out in the early morning darkness, and can't see what's on the road. Now, I'll stop to pick up what little roadside cash I see, unless I'm very focused on some aspect of my workout - in which case, I won't be focused on what is lying on the road. I've moved fallen branches out of the road, cleared broken bottles to the side of the road, and repositioned center-road cross-walk signs that have been buffeted by passing cars. I don't see too many strange people out on the road, unless I happen to pass a mirror. I usually see my fair share of critters, but the strangest sights I've seen have been a moose, and three horses that escaped from a local stables (I helped herd the horses back in). Then there was the time I was buzzed by a big barred owl... Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I picked up a 10 inch rainbow trout on a trail run when I came around a corner and scared away a bald eagle just starting in on it for breakfast. I was kind of sorry to scare it into lumbering down the trail between tall trees like a B-49 take-off so made sure the rbt was put to good use on my breakfast table instead. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Didn't fare so well when I inadvertently experimented with running a marathon only on watera couple of years ago until badly bonking at mile 14 and trying for the next two miles to hitchhike back to the start until a passing angel runner took pity on my pain and gave me some glucose tablets that had me recovered and running the last ten miles as if nothing had happened.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

#artbydmcbride

I'm like a magpie and I pick up shiny objects! Big grin I've found a diamond ring (mens) and 3 metal angel pendants.

Runners run

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

This is a fun read! The strangest thing I saw on the side of the road is a dead fish. Looked pretty fresh and it was no where near the water. Not sure if a rather large bird dropped it there or what - but i did not pick it up. I found a bowling ball laying in the woods. Told my daughter about it and she went back to get it. Carried it around in her trunk for a long time. When the kids are bored and waiting for someone they bowl in parking lots . . . . don't know where the pins came from and I didn't ask. I also saw a single crutch propped up against a tree in the woods. I remember thinking that I hope I don't need to use it some day. Not sure that I have ever actually picked up anything though. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Reading this again reminded me of a time a find a wallet on the road. Only thing in it was a "conom" and a drivers license for a teenager of high school age. I went to give it to him but only his mom was home so I gave it to her. I'm sure they might have had a conversation afterwards. And I find lots of "conoms" here in high traffic areas Confused Unfortunately unpackaged.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

......eeeewwwwww........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I pick up sand dollars while running on the beach.... does that count as money? Probably the most unusual thing I picked up was when I was running on trails in the redwoods in Northern California and found some poor hippie's pipe with a little stash compartment that was full.