Masters Running

Monday, 9.14.15 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Superb racing over the weekend by WildChild (100K) and Deeze (Oly Tri), and what sounds like a great moving meet-up with Roch, Econo, DG and Holly. How did Jlynn and Mike do in their races?

4.6 easy RW miles this morning, breaking in some new shoes and being nice to a couple o' tired legs. I have an 8:30 meeting this morning, after which DW and I are escaping to Camden, ME for a quick anniversary get-away. We'll be back by early afternoon on Wednesday because I have to meet with someone to prep for an important meeting we have Wednesday evening. On Thursday morning, I have to be at the airport at 8am to pick up a niece who will be visiting and working with DW for a couple of days. Then I'll have a few hours to get some work done before our Reach The Beach Relay team members start to arrive and we head up to the mountains in central NH to begin our 200-mile journey back to Hampton Beach, finishing early afternoon (?) on Saturday. DW and I are having dinner with a friend on Saturday evening to help celebrate her birthday, and then I have another race on Sunday morning that our racewalking group is using as a training race. So maybe I'll check in during the week, and maybe not...

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Hi all,

Jay - which airport are you driving to Thursday morning? I am picking up Enke at Logan by 7:30.

13.1 slow, steady miles today. Wish I could figure out this toe/foot pain - it sounds so foolish in the big scheme of things but let me tell you it feels significant when my toes start burning and hurting during a run. WEIRD!!

HAPPY MONDAY!!

denise

coastwalker what time will we finish. Hmm, what time will we finish? Depends on whose calculations you believe. Ragnar says around 3:30pm. My spreadsheet says about 5:30pm  This is the first year the Reach the Beach web page has offered a finishing time estimate. In the past, my spreadsheet has been pretty accurate.  But, this is also just Ragnar's second year rating the course's difficulty, which influences the time calculations. I just do not have a long track record with their data. Still, when people ask when we expect to get to the finish, I  am going with my estimate for now.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Congratulations on your 100K, Carolyn! I can't even conceive of that distance. Now next year you'll have to go one better by coming to the Run Woodstock weekend for a 100 miler!

Ran 8 miles on a glorious morning -- a harbinger of the fall season -- for I think my longest run since the Charlevoix HM in June (been busy with a lot of other activities). Felt strong in the cooler temps and nice not to have to carry a fuel belt, especially since the drinking fountain at the 4-mile mark is still turned on. Did a 10:45 pace overall without feeling all-in at the end.

So how is your running week starting off?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Well done Carolyn!

3.3 jog/walk on the dirt as recovery today, felt okay.  Nice cool weather.

Marj, thanks for posting the link to the great NY Times article on strength and aging. I included it in my DMN blog post today, along with some other factors that cause us to slow as we age:  http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2015/09/a-little-older-a-little-slower-heres-why.html/

Six weeks ago I decided to quit taking statins and see how well diet could control my LDL.  My doctor would like my LDL under 80, but that is because of my heart problems.  A sub-80 is a pretty difficult number to achieve, although I once had a reading of 68.  So today the lipid panel results came back and the LDL recorded at 98, which is in the normal range for everyone else, but not for my doctor's view of it.  HDL was 101.

I'll rethink this for now and not sure what to do.  Maybe a different statin at a lower dose is the right answer.  Anyone here take a statin that gives you no muscular discomfort?  I was on Crestor 20 mg.  Thanks.  Spareribs

...w0w wildchild//...............Great Racing.......

also

always nice to see Econo checking in

=============

..........I will have to NOT read coastwalker's mileage since it BUMS ME OUT MAN

but I digress

3rd PT appointment,,,,,,,,we added the ''Reverse Clam'' but no Lateral Stepping yet

maybe Thursday

also

3x20-min walks with cane>>>>>>>>>>>that makes 1-HOUR PER DAY

not including YardSalesDays

hopefully I can start driving next weekend

.........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Forgot to mention Ragnar's calculator says we will arrive at the finish at around 3:30pm on Saturday.  My spreadsheet says around 5:15pm.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Go Ragner Relay!

I had a busy weekend and now am swamped at work, so no time for details right now, save to say that my friend Carissa did indeed finish her 100 miler in 27:40, good for 2nd AG.  I went 28.8 miles with her and am embarrassed to whine about my own stiffness and soreness.

On a sad note, my stepmom died on Friday evening.  She was only 65 years old.  We had had a strained relationship for years because she never forgave me for looking up my real mother years ago, but she raised me since I was three years old and her death is quite a blow.  Lots of unresolved stuff.

3 slow miles for me this morning, followed by 20 minutes of upper body weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jay, nice 5 mile race with PR and being first racewalker.  Econo, dg, roch, Holly, et. al., I would have liked to have been at the Sunday meet up but couldn't.  Saturday evening, we babysat the grandsons while our son and daughter in law went to the Michigan State/Oregon game.  We spent the night in East Lansing and had breakfast with our daughter and new son in law late Sunday morning.  wild,  congrats and kudos on your 100K.  Like roch, I can't imagine doing what you did.  deez, great going in your tri.  Jay, happy anniversary.

Nice long runs for Dr.Robin and deez.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 40s and there was a little wind.  I did 5 miles at a 10:59 pace.  It's been forever since I did a training run at less than an 11 minute pace.

I just had an experience with Active.  For background, I've registered for a few races through them in past years.  I tried to register for the Charlevoix race last June using their website.  I ran into all sorts of problems relating to having an account with them from previous races and not remembering my password.  I tried, unsuccessfully, to get my password from them and register.  I eventually gave up and registered by mail.  The other day, my wife found our credit card had been charged with a $64.95 membership charge.  Somehow, I must have done something I didn't mean to when I tried to register for Charlevoix.  I wasn't very happy and called with the expectation I would have to build a case and argue with them.  I told them I had not meant to sign up for a membership and didn't want one.  There was no argument or questioning.  I was told the charge would be removed within 3-5 days.  So, I'm glad the problem got resolved so easily.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Very sorry to hear about your stepmom, Holly.  Not just because of her passing but because of your relationship.  Very sad.

I am completely wiped out today.  I can barely concentrate at work...which is why I'm taking a little break...and, since I gave up half my Saturday to come in here, I think it's okay for me to take a couple minutes to goof off.

Congratulations wild!  Congratulations Deeze!  Has anybody heard how Jlynne did?

My half marathon was a lot of fun, yesterday.  I ran pretty well, but did not place all that great.  I had a 1:25:23 for my official time and took 5th place in my age group.  I went out a little more conservatively, this time, and felt strong until the last couple miles...then it was just hanging on 'till the finish.

Of course, the most fun I had was doing a cool down with SubDood.  He was using this as a training run and still ran a 1:32:46.  He's getting ready for the Twin Cities Marathon and I can't wait to see how he does.  I have a feeling he's going to crush it!

Okay--that's about it.  I'm supposed to do 10 miles with 3 x 2 in 13:00, tonight, but I think I'll just run 10 and take it real easy.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Holly - My prayers to you and your family.  Death is hard without having to deal with unresolved issues.  I'm here if you need anything.

Carolyn - You're a freaking studdette.  I think you shoulder consider Roch's suggestion.

Jay - I don't think you're quite busy enough.  May I add a few thinks to your menu of activities?

Tselbs - Hope you don't have to recontact Active.  I've heard they can be difficult to deal with.

I have no idea what else is going on in here because . . .

Geesh!  I am freaking exhausted from the weekend!  Long days, late nights, lots of chatting and eating and running around with the ladies - had an absolutely fabulous time, as always, but the last nights and early mornings are having their way with me today.  Plus, I've been on prednisone for the hives, which is working beautifully but I've slept terrible (a side affect the doc to me about) and I have freaking weird dreams (a side affect I did not know about).  I mean WEIRD dreams.  Saturday's was so disturbing, it actually still brothers me to think about it.  Ick!

I did, however, have a really nice run in the wee hours of Saturday morning.  Two good runs in a row - who'da thunk?!?

Please pray for rain for California.  About 4 hrs south of us and inland, the town of Middletown has been completely destroyed.  The fire started Friday afternoon (Saturday afternoon?) and by this morning had already burned over 61,000 acres and destroyed 400 structures.  The town is gone.  People very literally didn't even have time to put on shoes, the fire overtook everything so fast.  My heart aches for them.

Have a good week, friends.  Be thankful and grateful for what you have and who you have ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Six weeks ago I decided to quit taking statins and see how well diet could control my LDL.  My doctor would like my LDL under 80, but that is because of my heart problems.  A sub-80 is a pretty difficult number to achieve, although I once had a reading of 68.  So today the lipid panel results came back and the LDL recorded at 98, which is in the normal range for everyone else, but not for my doctor's view of it.  HDL was 101.

I'll rethink this for now and not sure what to do.  Maybe a different statin at a lower dose is the right answer.  Anyone here take a statin that gives you no muscular discomfort?  I was on Crestor 20 mg.  Thanks.  Spareribs

Ribs, I had been on 10mg Atorvastatin/Lipitor for a number of years, giving a total cholesterol in the 170s with LDL around 90, although in recent years it was creeping above 100. Anyway, with the results of my CT calcium scoring scan showing plaque buildup, my doctor said that he wanted to get my LDL to the sub-70 range. I tried a couple of upped dosages of Atorvastatin, but didn't get the desired results until I started taking 80mg (BIG pill!) and now have a total around 140 and LDL 65.

For possible muscular discomfort, my doctor -- who is conservative and not one to recommend supplements lightly -- recommended that I take 300mg daily of CoQ10. I have been doing this for a few months now with no noticeable muscle discomfort. He also recommended taking the statin at bedtime since it might be slightly more effective that way.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

sorry, I missed this the first time thru...............actually ribbs, I think LDL of 80 is VERY hard to achieve

I assume this is your Cardiologist,

have you asked your regular doc what he thinks??

Lipitor has a good rep as a statin,

but I had many people who had to go with Welchol (6-pills a day), Zetia (in combination with another drug),or even Questran (a powder which has to be drunk) because they couldn't take any statins at all

if Lipitor worked, that might be your best bet..............Good Luck with it

eta-

taking statins in the evening is best,

but I recommend supper to avoid stomach upset or constipation

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, very sorry to hear about your stepmom.  65 is pretty young - had she been sick?  Also, congrats to your friend Carissa for finishing her 100 mile race, and good job on the pacing!

Sounds like Mike and Subdood had good races, and how greta that you guys got to do your cooldown run together.

Thanks for the nice comments on my race.  Today I went for a 3 mile walk, but my body doesn't quite feel like running yet.  I'm sure I'll feel like running sooner than I actually SHOULD start running, so if it feels like I shouldn't run yet, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't.  Nothing really hurts, but I have a blister about the size of a nickel on the ball of my right foot, just behind the 2nd & 3rd toes, so I should probably let it heal a bit.  I'm also probably gonna lose my left big toenail, but it won't be the first time, so no big deal.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

On a sad note, my stepmom died on Friday evening.  She was only 65 years old.  We had had a strained relationship for years because she never forgave me for looking up my real mother years ago, but she raised me since I was three years old and her death is quite a blow.  Lots of unresolved stuff.

Deepest condolences.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/