Masters Running

Chena River Run 5k (Read 294 times)

evanflein

I don't think I've written a race report for a 5k in awhile, but this one was kind of interesting, so what the heck. The forecast for today was cold (low 30's) with snow showers early on, changing to rain showers later. Luckily, that was wrong. It was cold and windy, but no snow or rain, and the sun did come out later which was nice.

DH and I had a 5k race today that I was hoping to do pretty well at. The first race in our local series, it's not an easy course, deceivingly so. It's mostly flat so should be easy, but starts on a narrow road, and funnels you into even narrower bike paths with chain link fence on the sides, narrow bridge sidewalks and lots of sharp turns. It does open up in a few spots and that's where you can make up some time. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but for some reason the buses to the start were pretty slow, or not enough of them. We showed up in what should have been plenty of time and got in the very (very) long line for the buses. And we waited. And it was cold (about 30° ) and windy standing there in that line. Brrrr! I had on long sleeves and gloves but I was still freezing. The second bus to come was filled when we were about 7 people from the door! Doh! Rats. More waiting.

I was tempted to do my warmup running laps around the parking lot of the Fred Meyer's we were at (aka Krogers), but figured as soon as I did the bus would come. So finally we're on the warm bus and headed to the start. The bus lets us off just minutes before the 10 a.m. start, but I figured I had time to get closer to the front (no chip timing at our races...). But as I'm working my way through the strollers, dogs and walkers in the back, the gun goes off, at 9:58! I start running, start my Garmin and hope for the best. This would be run with no warmup...

The first mile is choked with slow runners, walkers, strollers, kids who dart this way and that, and people who just sort of run along, drifting a bit from side to side. Passing was a challenge, but I figured out if I put a hand on the arm of the runner ahead, who is inevitably drifting over into my path, they "wake up" from whatever trance they're in (and really, we just started!), and move over. So I wove in and out, zipping ahead when the path was clear and slowing while looking for openings in the walls of folks in front of me. The race directors try to organize the runners by posting pace signs along the area before the start, but it's obvious very few people were paying attention. I hit the first mile marker where someone was calling out the times "8 minutes for mile 1."  Really? OMG, that's slow... Oh well, carry on. I picked up the pace after getting off the narrow bike path and was passing people like crazy. A couple folks said "hey, did you start late? You shouldn't be back here!" and all I could say was "yeah, late buses, oh well!"

I hit the second mile in about 7:28 and the third in 7:12. A young guy passed me at about the 2.5 mile mark (just after coming off the very narrow bridge), and then I passed him shortly after. I figured if I needed incentive to find a kick at the end, this was it. Up to now, I'd been running steady but not too hard. I did have 7 more miles to do today and 20 tomorrow, after all... But after we turned the last corner, this guy puts on the power to pass me and I said, I don't think so! Found a good kick to pass him and hit the line first with that last sprint at just under 6:40 pace. Weee! But.... final time was 23:35, which is certainly not one of my better times for this course. Official results aren't up yet so I don't know how I did AG wise or overall. I was looking for any "old ladies" I could pick off, and in the end I didn't see any.

After a piece of banana and a drink of water, I reset my Garmin and headed out for the rest of my miles. I went back along the same route and met DH coming down off the bridge. He'd started way in the very (very) back, and was running along very well. He'd passed a ton of people, as there were many more behind him that I met while on that part of the course. He ended up running a good race even though starting well after the gun fired. Just before I left the course to continue my run, I met my MIL walking along with a big smile on her face. Gotta love how everyone gets out there for this race!

Fashion report, such as it is... bright pink Nike long sleeved top, black capris, the Asics Speedstars I ran Boston 2010 in (and they're still doing great!) and black gloves. Should've had something on my head as my ears got really cold later on!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tough congestion but way to make up time in that 5K progression run! I bet you placed well Erika.

Good luck on the 20!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Nice one, Erika!  Very nice your DH is running, as well.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

It's great DH is racing with you!! It sounds like a challenge. 

SteveP

Sounds like you did reall well....especially considering no warm up and the crowd you had to fight through. 

Nice work!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Negative splits, passing all those people and cold but no snow-sounds like a great combo to me! Good racing as usual.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

just hearin' about the Chena again warms my heart.

so do you and everyone runs all winter long up there

(probably just you)..

when did the ice go out this year?.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Ice on the Tanana went out on May 4 at 5:25 pm! A little late this year as we had a cold spring.

Mariposai

Thanks for taking the time write your race report. They always serve as an inspiration to me. I agree with Perch, you must placed very well in your AG. Big smiles reading that your DH also ran the race. Way to go Peter!!!

Now I am wondering how the 20 miler is going for you!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...I couldn't wait to find out if you passed that 2.5 guy.......VERY nice racing........

and 3-mile sprints are exciting////

it sounds like

you might have Won Tin

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Too bad about all the congestion but it sounds like you did not throw in the towel because of it and gave it a good push at the end.  Brrr, that sounds cold for this time of year!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice racing, Erika - especially with all that congestion to fight.  I'd be curious to see what time you'd have had if you had been able to start at the front, where you belong.  You've been running very well lately!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice job putting the metal to the petal at the end there Erika!    Was that DH's first race?  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com