Masters Running

Monday 9-19-11 congrats (Read 739 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

That was some incredible racing on Saturday by a number of great people on this site.  The bar is set so high, that a 1st place AG is labelled a disappointment.  Wow.  Congrats to all who raced.  You all motivate me. (Especially Spare, Tramps, Erika, Holly and DH (powerwalker), Karin, flyin' Carolyn, Paul (honorable), and especially derrick.  Last AG you say?  I don't think so.  That "honor" is held by the 99.5% of people who never got off the couch to start the race.  a five minut PR is great.

Personal stuff for me - Taekwondo on Saturday, followed by an eight miler.  On Sunday, got out at 4:40 and went twenty four miles.  Dind't get home until almost 8:30.  Headlamp was on for almost 2 hours.  Yesterday afternoon - went apple picking with PBJ Jr. (macouns at $1 a pound - delicious), then we each hit a large bucket of golf balls at the driving range.  This morning - lift, step, spin.  Right achilles is quite sore.  I think it was the bucket of balls.

Have a great week all.

Tramps

I accept the scolding.  But Mike was way worse than the rest of us.  Spareribs

Big grin

Y'all know I'm just jealous, right?

PBJ--yowsa!  24 miles is a long way, especially late in the day.  Nice job!

I was scheduled for some intervals this morning but they graded my dirt road on Friday, loosening up all the gravel.  When I tried to run fast, my feet were just sliding out from under me as I pushed off. Seemed like a great way to pull a muscle, so I immediately backed down and just made it an easy 9.1 (8:42).  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Be safe. Be kind.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Ooh - sorry tramps.  That was am, not pm on the Sunday run.  The headlamp was used at the start, not the finish.  Smart of you to avoid the loose gravel pull something run.

Dave59

Rainy day.  I went to the gym: elliptical & weights.  Conference call at work goes from 11:30am to 8:00pm today. Roll eyes

King of PhotoShop

3.4 miles, still recovering. I won't have my legs back until Thursday I bet, and I'm perfectly happy with that.  This is just destined to be a light week and that should be okay.   Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

Wait a second!  Is today Holly's birthday?   Spareribs

Quick fly by post as work has me tied down.  I am starting to recover from relay race sleep deprivation.  At 6am I got up and headed out for 8 miles.  I am very proud of my relay team in that we are not the slowest group ever!  You gotta set the bar somewhere!  My teammates also seem to be (slowly) figuring out how to add to the blog at http://rosieruizfanclub.blogspot.com/Mariposai was an early contributor and now others are coming on board.

For those that have some relay experience or other experience in setting where you need to be able to identify particular individuals in the dark maybe you can help me out here.  At night it is very difficult to tell one runner from another.  That makes it difficult to spot your teammates and thus know where to stop to give them water, gels, or even just take pictures.  This year my van had glow in the dark necklaces.  But, they did not help at all.  Basically, they are too dim and slender to see from far off.  Has anybody seen a successful solution to this quandary?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

Taekwondo huh? I'm rapidly running out of people it's safe to be mean to.

The dog loves running on newly graded roads, Tramps.

Good luck on the conference call ultra Dave59.

Wait a second!  Is today Holly's birthday?   Spareribs

It's Adam West's 81st birthday. I think it's a paid holiday, so I stayed home.

Running through the pouring rain. Just Avenger Doggie and I. Over the wet leaves that lay on top of wet clay. With the twists and hairpin turns, the down hills we much tougher than the up hills. As I got dirtier, the trees I grabbed onto during the steep descents loosed their grip. The bugs weren't bad. We enjoy a challenge! Though I had a light jacket on, it became burdensome real quick like. I tied it around my waist, then remembered that Ribs would bust me. Since it was black, I tied it around my neck. Believe it or not, I happened to be wearing a Batman shirt. The look was first rate.

SteveP

Jlynne

It's Adam West's 81st birthday. I think it's a paid holiday, so I stayed home.

Though I had a light jacket on, it became burdensome real quick like. I tied it around my waist, then remembered that Ribs would bust me. Since it was black, I tied it around my neck. Believe it or not, I happened to be wearing a Batman shirt. The look was first rate.

Smile Thanks for bringing a smile to a really bad day Steve.

Mike E

MM #5615

Jlynne--I think that's what Steve was put here to do--put smiles on people's faces who are having crappy days.  I sure hope yours turns for the better.

You deserve a light week, Ribs!  By the way...if you still have that dress...umm...could I maybe borrow it?  I have my 35th class reunion coming up and I've got some shoes that would look fabulous with it...

Tramps--do you have exact distances marked off on your road for intervals or do you use a gps or something else? 

Okay--so I know that ever since I've been posting here with you guys that all I ever do is complain about my race times.  And I really do know that I have been blessed with some natural speed and I'm sure that I take it for granted.  But since I've turned 50, my times have been going down hill fast...or is that up hill slow...whatever...the've been getting worse.  So, I'm not even talking about times that I was running in my 30's these are recent times.  Here--this is a list of races I've done since turning 50 on the same cources:

2008         2009          2010         2011

City of Lakes 25K    1:36:39     1:41:02     1:47:09     1:47:28

Fort Snelling 5x5         18:25        18:49      injured        19:40

Frosty Frolic 5K                              18:16      injured        18:59 

FYGBR 10K                                     39:00     injured         39:30

TC 1 Mile                                           5:15      injured           5:24

Brian Kraft 5K                                 18:00      injured         18:33

Golden Lake 4.3 Mile                    24:36        26:11       injured

MDRA 15K                                       58:11    1:01:26       injured    

So--as you can see--I've had some pretty drastic time inceases and it really bothers me.  I have to figure out a training plan that will allow me to increase my speed while, at the same time--stay healthy.  I'll take any suggestions.

Okay--that's it.  Thanks for listening.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hi gang - what a rediculously fun weekend!    I am just happy that my whole family doesn't get together that often - I'm exhausted!!  Smile  

As for the race - running with my sister and niece was the best!   They were a bit hung over and questioned even getting up and doing it, but afterwards said that they really enjoyed it too.   The first part of the race had us running right down the street we grew up on and past the home of of our youth and then took us past the house my DH and I owned for 18 years and where we raised our kids.    The wind was so cold I could hardly feel my hands for the first 2 miles.   I started out fast and then noticed my niece caught up to me .... we were side by side most of the time, but she got me in the end by 2 seconds!!  Little snot!    Since I am twice her age, I'll let her have that one.    Anyway, the course measured long according to my Garmin and her timing device.    Finish time was 31:07 (slow - I know) for a 10:02 pace - however I measured it at 3.25 miles for 9:35 pace which felt more accurate.   My sister was about a minute behind us and she also was happy with her performance.    My sister's step-daughter (tall blond in photo) finished in 26 minutes.   We dont' like her.   (just kidding!)

{{{JLynne}}}

I have to find time later to read the weekend posts - sounds like some great racing!!!  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Well, happy birthday to Batman, anyway.  Mike, I just turned 50 and my times are slow right now, so I'm no help.

I had a very nice 3-mile lunch run with a hard run planned for tonight.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

Mike, looking over that summary, I'm not so sure it's the age factor that has made some of your times slower than in previous years, but rather the length of time you were out in 2010 due to injury. The older we get, the longer it takes to fully recover from an injury (it sux I know!) and when you look at your time in the City of Lakes, you weren't really that far off your 2010 time considering you had only done two other races prior to that in 2010 after coming back from your injury. And then when you look at the race times from 2009 to 2011 for those races that you could not do in 2010 due to injury, some of those times are awfully close to your 2009 times, which is pretty amazing to me given that it's two years later AND after a lengthy layoff due to injury in 2010.

so quit yer whining Joking

Had a busy yet productive weekend. however, it didn't include any running. Someday I'll make the time again to run consistenly. I know I will! Wink

My son had his first football game on Saturday against a tough competitor (he plays 6th grade tackle). They did end up winning, but it was a very hard fought win! My son is playing free safety this year, after having played a wide receiver or running back position in previous years, and he loves this new role! He plays some other positions also at different times of the game, but really loves that FS position.

I got a few dreaded chores done this week - shampooing carpets (still have a bit more to do though), and pressure washing some of the aggregate on our walkways. what a messy job!

I need to get B&B some new toys today. They are getting so restless and have so much pent up energy.Trying to keep 2 six month old labs inactive after their spaying last Thursday is near impossible. I know they have been more active than they should be, but so far their incisions still look good with minimal swelling. But I think it's time for some type of new chew toy to keep them entertained for awhile. Thursday, when the 'no playing ban' will be lifted can't come soon enough!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

So, Mike, I'm just curious - you think you should be getting faster as you get older?  Or just not getting slower?  If you figure out how to do that, you'd be rich (in addition to being fast).  How have you been placing in your AG relative to how you placed in the 45-49 AG?

{{{Jeanne}}}  Hope your day gets better.

SteveP, thanks for the smile! Mike's right - you're good at that.

Mary, great picture, and great racing for your family!  How nice that you all got to run together in your old neighborhood. Did your mom have a good 95th birthday party?

Dave, that's quite the conference call. Can you read RA when it gets slow? 

Planning a RAW today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Mike,...

so quit yer whining Joking

Thank you, Tammy. Mike, the only thing I can think of to add to make you feel better is to say thank you. I've been siphoning off a little of your speed lately as I've gotten faster since turning 50. Big grin  I really do appreciate it.

{{JLynne}} I hope your day gets better.

That's a looong run (and an early start!) PBJ. Would be interesting to see an outline of your training plan. I think you do more consistent cross-training than anyone I know.

Is it Holly's birthday? I can't believe I can't remember that...!