Masters Running

President's Day, 2.16.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Tet, have you ever tried these?

Dave, a big CONGRATS! on getting the race done in such challenging conditions!

Sounds like a good time on the Bourbon trail, Holly.

Twocat, I'm sure the birds are grateful for the food you put out for them.

We got about 18" of snow on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I spent about 5-6 hours yesterday mostly snow-blowing and roof-raking. I quit when I did because A) the winds were getting nasty and B) there wasn't a muscle in my body that didn't ache. Last night, the winds were howling all night long. This morning, it was -1, with the WC at -26. The wind coming across the pond that is across the street blew a drift about 2-3 ft.high 3/4 of the way across the road. Everyplace else on the street is reasonably clear. Lastly, it's a good thing I brought a shovel to work because, even though the plow had been here, I had to shovel my way to our office door. But, as one of my neighbors said, this winter really makes us feel alive!

Yep; keep smiling, and have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, have you ever tried these?

jay - never heard of the flipflop version but i:ve seen the geta ones at the geta museum in Fukushima and would love to try any and all varieties.Ⅰ loved ice skating on the few occasions winters were cold enough not to snow that much but still freeze everything over.

www.karankoron.com/geta_skate.html

<center></center>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

5.5 on the treadmill at the gym this morning...

Slo

Funny flip flop photo Jay! It's taking me a long time to break the habit of referring to Flip Flops as Thongs but if you ever want to embarrass your teenage daughter ask her if she's seen your thongs in front of her friends.

Holly, I'm jealous of your trip. Cycling the Bourbon trail has long been on my list of to-do's. Neither cylcing or sipping bourbon is on my DW's list of fun things. I get news feeds from several of the distilleries and I see where two have closed the doors to tours today due to the ice storm.

No run yet...I've really become a pansy since getting a gym membership. TM after work.

Marathon Maniac #957

We got about 18" of snow on Saturday night/Sunday morning. 

Wow - that is a LOT of snow!  Have you got a snow-blower or are you doing all this with a shovel?

Slo - we are getting some of that storm here in southern Ohio, expecting 2-4" of snow in my neck of the woods, but it is supposed to be worse further south.

4.7 miles on the TM for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

tet, being as how it was so close to Friday the 13th, that 13,680 seems flirting with bad luck.  Couldn't you have gotten in 14,000?

are your toes back to life yet, tw?  Ever try those hot hands pouch equivalents for feet?  Biking in winter is really hard on feet.

So cool that you did the gift cards, Dave.  I mean, "cool" in the good sense, you know.  And jaw-dropping effort at your race.  Hope all those folks who went on and were doing the 10K are accounted for....

Oh, Holly, did DH have fun?

Say, I had one of the best running experiences yesterday.  A 30-something mom in our running group who is very good at short distances (41:19 in a recent 10K, her first 10K) told me last year she wanted to run a marathon and asked for some help.  We've talked and shared info since then (not runs, as she is very fast) and yesterday was the day.  I'd run the A1A in Ft. Lauderdale and suggested it as a good first one for her.

While it's not a straight out and back, there is a turn around at approx. mile 16.  I was heading into that spot and knew it would be a good place to check on Kathy, see how she was doing, so I get over to my right and start eyeballing the runners.  The 3:10 pace group goes by, so I know I've got time......and then, whoa! there she is, well ahead of the 3:15 pace group, and looking strong.  We greeted each other--she had plenty of breath!--and of course I just urged her on.  She came in 3rd female overall, in 3:12.  Her husband and 2 little kiddoes were there, and it was just so happy all around.

Feeling pure joy for someone else is such a tonic.  She's a lovely person, very humble and appreciative and that's a huge part of this, of course, just such a great outcome.  She worked really hard, didn't think she could slide on her natural abilities and/or speed, did all the things you should do to train hard for your first marathon.  I was even nagging her Tuesday when she was at Speedsters--just one set of 400s, etc. etc.  Anyway, it's just a cloud nine kind of day for me.  Wish I could describe it better.   I know I'm nattering on, but as masters runners, I figure you know what I'm getting at here.

Well and later today, my colleague's daughter will be delivering Girl Scout cookies, so even though I'm working, it's a greta day.

Any thoughts on the SNL show?  It's such an icon, in that I was in college when it began, so it was sort of a generic 'this is your life" for boomers of a certain age.

make the rest of Monday mahvelous!

grins,
              A

ps: Lots of my MA friends are leaving the Commonwealth this week.  Do you think any/many will return?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, if that was her marathon debut, she has many more PR's ahead of her.

Nasty day here today after all this great weather, mid-30's, windy and drizzling.  The Saint and I got 3 slow miles in, then I got in a good stretch at the Y.

WRFB just mentioned he passed the 20,000 lifetime mile mark yesterday. I'm going to mention him in my Dallas Morning News post later. I'll share the link here. Nice going Lou.    Spareribs

Dave gets the Stud Award for running in this temps.  I'm guessing it took - what - an hour to get all that clothing on??  Dang.

Tet - I need to find some stairs like that for training.

I just can't believe the deep freeze so many of you are getting bombarded with.  I've been sending warm vibes your direction, but obviously it's not working.

Even though today is a holiday and our office is closed, I'm working since I'm off starting Wed until Mar 2, and working today saves me a vacation day.  (Does being in here count as working???)

I am having some serious issues with  my calves right now.  It started Friday.  They're VERY tight, especially the left one.  Not sure what's going on, but I sat with them on the heating pad yesterday for awhile and did some good massaging (so I now included "sore" in the description of how they feel).  If they're still tight tomorrow, I'll ride my stat bike instead of running.

Have good week ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

tet, that's a lot of stair steps.  Dave, you sure are tough, doing the 5K in Mount Pleasant yesterday.  Did you see anyone from the Reese or Bay City races?  Aamos, kudos to your friend on her 3:12 marathon debut.

Nice long runs for CNY, mari, and Twocat.

This morning, the temp was in the negative double digits.  For me, it was 5  TM miles at a 10:42 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Shout out to WRFB, and a Rodgers/Shorter story for you:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/how-many-miles-did-you-run-this-lifetime.html/

Spareribs

mrrun

Aamos - congrats on your first in ag placing as you come back from injury - since you're not going to mention it

Mike E

MM #5615

Funny flip flop photo Jay! It's taking me a long time to break the habit of referring to Flip Flops as Thongs but if you ever want to embarrass your teenage daughter ask her if she's seen your thongs in front of her friends.

And why do I get the feeling you do it as often as you can?

Mariposai

Great article, Spareribs.  I like the word "worldie". Something to aim for.

Sorry about all the new snow!. My crocuses started blooming here

Slo, you must be one fun dad.

Holly,  it seems like you had fun.

Congrats to Aamos on her great race.

No running here. Typing this from the beauty shop where I am getting my hear done. Will run later with the Easy Pacer.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

pfriese

coastwalker, I really like your "ice skating flip flop" photo.

And just as Slo_Hand said, for some reason it is quite embarrassing to the kids to call them thongs. I try to do this as often as possible.

Great article Spareribs. I like the term "worldie" and am over halfway there (currently a smidge over 16,000 miles).

Short 3.1 mile treadmill run after my swim this morning at the gym.

Paul

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Funny flip flop photo Jay! It's taking me a long time to break the habit of referring to Flip Flops as Thongs but if you ever want to embarrass your teenage daughter ask her if she's seen your thongs in front of her friends..

\that:s why I assiduously avoid calling my flip-flops as thongs every chance I can`t get too.

She didn`t look like she was but, when a gal from the regular start of the Light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel Marathon caught up and passed me she said, `hey, I`m wearing thongs too!` , . . .

ps amy - I`ll go for six times next time, . . . if I can figure out what else to wear.

oh, regular dress shoes as some of the men do it in the suits and ties.

I`ve never seen high heels through, . . . but did once on the Mt. Fuji trail.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)