Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 1.13.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Today is DW's birthday, and when I woke her up this morning (I am her alarm clock), I answered her musical question, "Will you still need me, will you still feed me..." in the affirmative.

No workout this morning: We had a spit of snow/sleet late last night, and then the temps dropped and the wind picked up to a sustained 20+ mph. So the combination of too-slick roads and falling branches in the dark kept me in this morning.

Sorry, but that's all I have time for.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

mornin' all!

So are to assume, from the tune, Jay's DW is 64?  I am assuming he had to head off to some meetings.  <moment of silence for J.>

Too funny; the good sleeping weather continues, causing me to pen this am:

Sun rose on my run

Revealing I hit snooze a

few too many times.

Nothing matched, but my ensemble did feature my Twin Cities (long-sleeved!) marathon shirt.

Turned around my not so stellar day yesterday with a good bridge run last night, so just over 5 this am.  In an outfit that would cause Ribs real pain .  I'm out of practice doing the layers thing.

Song lyric in my mind: "What's wrong with being confident?"

Never mind what the prez said, looks as if the post speech buzz is about FLOTUS' dress.  Image result for michelle o dress

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Yeah, that dress looked pretty nice

Happy birthday to your DW Jay! I can't wait until July, because then I can sing that song by the Beatles too.

Descriptions of bad attire are useless without pictures, Amos. Just sayin'...

It was WAY cold here this morning. -7° without the wind chill. Off to the Y for another dreadmill run (I find the track where it's 14 laps to a mile hard on my knees). A 5 mile ladder run, starting out at a 10:30/mile and trying to get down to 9:00 which I used to be able to sustain with no problems. Not any more! Then, 10 minutes on this new stair climber that's wicked hard, and 20 minutes of weights and core. I'm spent!

Today is my DS#1's 40th birthday, and my DIL's 38th. How easy is that for both of them (and their kids) to remember each other's birthdays! And wow - does that make ME old!

Hope the weather is better where you are today...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Then, 10 minutes on this new stair climber that's wicked hard, and 20 minutes of weights and core. I'm spent!

Today is my DS#1's 40th birthday, and my DIL's 38th. How easy is that for both of them (and their kids) to remember each other's birthdays! And wow - does that make ME old!

Hope the weather is better where you are today...

You sound like a real New Englander with the proper use of "wicked".

And that's what both DS and I told our Mom when we turned 40 (and 50).

Lack of time related no running this morning.  Had to pack and make it to site early.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Morning, Friends ~ And welcome to Wednesday.  It's all downhill from here. 

Aamos - Ribs would probably go into a permanent state of shock if he saw what I wore (while running) on a daily basis.  Fashion plate, I am not. 

Jay - Happy Birthday to your lovely wife.

I've never had the opportunity to run in the snow.  One time, when I ran SOB a few years ago, there were still a few patches of snow toward the top, but never a full blown run in the snow.  I'm thinking I wouldn't like it at -7.

I really had to talk myself into getting out there this morning, including telling myself that I really didn't want to run after work, blah, blah, blah.  Ended up being a very nice EZ 6 miles.  I had taken my rain jacket 'cause it was supposed to be rain with Tstorms, but it was very pleasant until I was about a 1/4 mile from home, when the skies opened up and it started pouring.  By the time I got my jacket out of the back of my vest, got it unzipped and pulled on, the rain had all but stopped.   Not sure if that's in line with 2Kitty's requirements.

Enjoy your day ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I remember one time we got smacked with a ton of snow - couldn't even get my car out of the driveway. So, I stayed home and went for a run. Less than 1/4 mile into my run, I strained a calf muscle and could barely walk on it for days. micro-tears I guess. But I still love running in snow. something so peaceful about it.  The one year I ran SOB, Leslie, there were just a few patches of snow off the trail also. sure looked refreshing because by the time I hit the peak of the 15K course, I was pretty hot!  

So much rain here the last few days. I'm hoping to head out for about a 30 min run after work while I wait for David to finish up with an afterschool thing he's involved in. 

Tammy

I've never had the opportunity to run in the snow.  One time, when I ran SOB a few years ago, there were still a few patches of snow toward the top, but never a full blown run in the snow.  I'm thinking I wouldn't like it at -7.

Leslie, I do like running when it is actually snowing, or if it is hard packed. Fresh fallen snow is so serene and beautiful. However, the last time I ran the snowy streets it felt like I was running in sand, just not as much fun. Today feels so warm since It's up to 16°, a heat wave compared to the past few days. I won't have time to run after work so will go to the Y at lunch to run a few laps and try not to get too sweaty, may just walk/run. I am trying to earn my $20 rebate for getting there 12 times a month.  Last night was spin class which I haven't been to that since last spring. Man, did I sweat!  "Sweat cleanses from the inside. It comes from places a shower will never reach." George Sheehan

Happy birthday to your wife, Jay! Sweet song, I'll have to remember that in a few years! Glad you stayed out of the ice storm's way.  That falling ice is so scary.  Greta attire, Amy! Do you every sleep in? You do more doubles than anyone here, which is pro'lly why you are so wicked fast!  Tell me what exactly is a bridge run?  Mrs. O. always looks so nice, love the dress too!  Hi Tammy! Jlynne, do you know of any good campgrounds near Green Bay?  Good running, guys!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Dave59

I slept in today so I only had time to get out for 2 miles during a break in the action.

In life news:

I stopped working 7 days a week. I got some medicine to treat swollen sinuses. And I got my eye glass prescription updated (after an eye exam). Plus my new glasses have a coating to block the bad blue light to reduce the strain of being on a computer all day.

I can now make it to the end of the day without a splitting headache. After a few weeks/months off I feel ready to rejoin the human race again. I can even feel my old sense of humor returning. Funny stuff is funny again. So they better look out at the office.

In life news:

I stopped working 7 days a week. I got some medicine to treat swollen sinuses. And I got my eye glass prescription updated (after an eye exam). Plus my new glasses have a coating to block the bad blue light to reduce the strain of being on a computer all day.

I can now make it to the end of the day without a splitting headache. After a few weeks/months off I feel ready to rejoin the human race again. I can even feel my old sense of humor returning. Funny stuff is funny again. So they better look out at the office.

Welcome back, Dave!!  

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

moebo

Happy birthday to Mrs. Coastwalker!

Speaking of running attire:

I am not exactly what you would call a slave to fashion. But despite the fact that I usually look like a huge mess when I go out running, I almost always feel a strange compulsion to wear undergarments that more or less match my outfit. (Actually, this applies to my street clothes as well.) I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I discovered this week that--not once, but twice-- I had put my underwear on inside out! I actually figured it out when I went to pee one last time before heading out, but by that time it was too late to remedy the problem. I toughed it out for the whole run but I have to admit the experience was downright distressing...

Anyway, today everything matched and was on in the right direction, but everything else was a little off. I went to bed late because I stayed up to watch the State of the Union address, so I woke up a little bit tired. I got downstairs to find that I had forgotten to program my coffee pot, so it took an extra five minutes for me to get my coffee. Then I had to wait extra-long for the coffee to "take effect" if you get my gist. When I finally got outside, I only had time for four miles (I had wanted to do five). After three miles, I needed to get to a bathroom again (argh), so I had to get home even sooner than planned. I am looking forward to warm weather again, when I can usually find a port-a-potty somewhere!

So...3.5 miles total. Very slow!

wildchild

Carolyn

I've never had the opportunity to run in the snow.

How is this possible?   I run in the snow 9 months out of the year, I think!

My legs were super sore for several days after the fat ass run last Saturday, but today they're pretty much back to normal, and I got out for a nice 10.5 mile run in screw shoes, around my neighborhood.

Coastwalker, happy birthday to your Carolyn!  Hope you're doing something special for dinner.

And also, happy birthday to Jeanne's son and DIL.  Cool that they share a birthday.

Dave, welcome back!  Glad you're feeling better.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

How is this possible?   I run in the snow 9 months out of the year, I think!

I've lived a sheltered life . . . .

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

In an outfit that would cause Ribs real pain .  I'm out of practice doing the layers thing.

Amy - I generally look like a homeless person when I am running in colder temps.  I layer my clothes entirely by comfort, selecting layers by their warmth and compatibility with the weather, so I will often have completely mismatched layers sticking out as sleeves or below my top shirt.  And my shoes never match my clothes.  Whatever.

Moebo - too funny!  But we all have our quirks, so I totally understand.

Happy Birthday to all the birthdays!

Dave - welcome back!  Are you coming up to the Green Bay event?  I could use some warm temps.....  Plus the house we are renting has a big backyard and numerous grills.  I foresee a cookout.

4.1 miles for me on the TM this morning, 3 miles of which was one and two minute intervals.

I need to start getting up earlier so I have more time to run.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Dave - welcome back!  Are you coming up to the Green Bay event?  I could use some warm temps.....  Plus the house we are renting has a big backyard and numerous grills.  I foresee a cookout.

Green Bay would be fun but I don't see a return trip. First time I signed up was because my daughter was living there (but she moved away before the race so it didn't really matter.)  Second time was to finish what I started.

evanflein

Moebo, you crack me up. Never give a thought to the matching underwear, actually never thought of it before! If I start now, it's your fault. Glad you made it back in time.

POTUS was on at 5 pm here, so I stayed at work and watched it on my computer while sorting paperwork. Then DH came by and we went across the parking lot to where our president was giving the State of the University address. Kind of sobering stuff with our budget situation, but good to go in person.

Jay, good call on skipping the ice and wind. Bad enough on their own, really bad when together.

Carolyn, I think you run on snow more than I do. That's because if it's too snowy or too cold, I head for the TM. But yeah, I can't imagine never dealing with cold and snow (although I swear, one day I hope to!!).

Welcome back Dave. Love the Underdog avatar! That was my favorite cartoon as a kid. Now I have the theme music bouncing around in my head. Thanks.

Amy, have you always done doubles? I can't recall if this is a relatively new thing for you or not. And hey, I really feel for you, having to break out the long sleeves and all (ha... not).

Having pretty good runs this week, am loving the warmer than usual temperatures! Although it has cooled off a bit, but JLynne can keep that icky cold to herself for awhile. It was about 5° for my run yesterday, and about 9° today and I was dressed pretty much just right. It's been nice to get out during the day when the sun is still up, although today was so overcast it seemed kind of dark at 2 pm. The problem today felt like air quality, although the web site says it's "moderate" which should be fine. I think the problem was I was near the high schools when they were getting out, and all the buses and cars had been idling for awhile and then sitting at the intersections. Ick. Feels like I'm covered in exhaust. Note to self: go the other way at this time of day! Anyhow... 6.5 miles Monday, 5.4 yesterday and 7.3 today. (Can't remember last time I posted....)