Masters Running

40s 50s 60s On the Run - w/e 05/29 (Read 456 times)

jfa

"Methinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Good morning peeps. Seems like it's been raining here for a couple of weeks but Thursday I fly to Arizona. A niece is graduating HS and half my siblings and Dad are headed out there. Can't wait.

A 2 mile warmup with the Budster last night then 16m lr in a gentle rain on the boards.

Good week all!

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - nice quote! I covered about the same distance as you did yesterday, although it wasn't raining. 

OM - hope the job thing works out. 

Leslie - sounds like you had an ok time, after all! Hope your luggage finds its way home. 

HItting the road tomorrow to see friends in Seattle and then in Portland. My friend in Portland says there are some great trails to run close to her house, really looking forward to that! 

Have a good week everyone!

Ex runner

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Well I finally decided to call... and yes, I got the job! Smile

OM - Congratulations!!  Woo Hoo!!

Joe - Enjoy AZ.  Might be slightly warmer there than in your neck of the country. Wink

Arla - Portland = Forest Park.  I hope those are the trails your friend is talking about.  Forest Park is the mecca for trail running, and I believe it's the largest urban forest in the U.S.  It's where I ran my very first 50k a couple of years ago.  I haven't had the chance go back, but it's beautiful and well worth checking out.  If you have a small camera, take it with you.  My buddies who have the 3nonjoggers podcast run there all the time.  My goal is to get back there next May for the Forest Park 50k through PCTR.

I finally got my luggage this morning at work, but it was last night when getting ready for bed I realized I didn't even have an extra toothbrush.  Yuck!  First thing I did upon arrival at work was brush my teeth for about 10 minutes.  With no makeup, no hairdo stuff, no deodorant, and no toothbrush, surprisingly, I'm not looking my usual Cosmopolitan gorgeous self.  Thankfully, there are no clients scheduled to come in today.

(PS - I at least rectified the whole deodorant thing once my suitcase arrived, much to the relief of my office mates.) Big grin

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

just a drive by to say hello.

been out of town seeing the niece graduate high school.  Good time.  Good run with the LMD's sister's neighbor.  Back to work.

Enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

It's quiet in here . . . .

Hi, Ev!

Hi to whoever is lurking!

Hi to the rest of my running peeps!

1 hr of pool running tonight.  I'm trying different techniques to (a) make it not quite so boring and (b) get a harder worker.  One of the moves is to keep my hands up besides my head (as if I was going to do a crunch) and run in place as hard as possible for 1 minute.  That, combined with having to keep your butt from drifting up because of the floatation belt, makes for a good core/cardio workout.  I interspersed that with backwards running, sprinting, and just plain ole let's-get-this-done running.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hope no one else has the no running excuse for not saying much.  Three days in Nashville this week and little no ambition or opurtunity to get out and run.  A few PU and SU, along with an abreviated set of yoga poses this morning.

Glad to see you throwing yourself into the pool running, Leslie.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Glad to see you throwing yourself into the pool running, Leslie.

Unfortunately, I have no choice. Blush  I did, however, get to do half my workout in the deep end swim lane.  The other part of the deep end was being taken over by the hordes of little kids taking swim lessons.  The nerve of it all, I tell ya . . . Wink

50 min of core/strength training this a.m.  My core and limbs were still a bit tired from my pool run last night, but I got it done.  What's with the NBA playoffs being on at 5:30 in the morning?!?  They're screwing up my workout TV watching. Evil

Have a great Wednesday ~

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey folks.

Congrats on the job OMat!

Have fun up north Arla.

Welcome home Leslie.

Nice one with the neighbor Ev.

Don't be a slacker Stumpy!

Front loading my runs this week in anticipation of vacation. Two 10ers in 12hrs. Faster one last night. Ten nines this morning. Talking 100* out by Scottsdale tomorrow! Yikes!

Top 'O the World!

Hope no one else has the no running excuse for not saying much. 

Nope - 'cept for yesterday, when I was trying to catch up on some of my reading....

been mostly running btwn rain squalls...got to go here on Monday

...then the rain came back in with a vengence for the rest of the day....not as bad as has been for other parts of the country! {{{prayers for the folks in OK & MO & such!!}}

Congrats on the job OM!!  Very kewl!

Gotta go get the lawn shortened & a few more things stuck into the mud (dy patch I might call a garden) before the next line comes in!

Have a Great Week everyone!!!

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

The other part of the deep end was being taken over by the hordes of little kids taking swim lessons.  The nerve of it all, I tell ya . . . Wink

One quick way to get the little snots (and I say that lovingly) out of the pool......Baby Ruth.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

One quick way to get the little snots (and I say that lovingly) out of the pool......Baby Ruth.

Hmmm - It's a thought. Wink

I had a good, hard pool running workout.  I talked to one of the lifeguards about the water "dumbbells," which added a whole new dimension to things.  Some great resistance work for the arms while running.  He also told me about a good core workout -  I took off the flotation belt and straight-armed the dumbbells at my side, then tried to keep my body perfectly straight without losing balance, fluttering the feet, etc.  It's harder than it sounds, and I'm thinking the difficulty would be increased if I used the smaller dumbbells.

Switching things up a lot made the hour go by a lot faster than normal.  I also lucked out and had the deep end lane to myself the whole time.  Yea!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

I have a shot at a 40 mile week, mostly thanks to wet weather unsuitable for fieldwork. This is my peak miles week not worrying about speed this week.. I have been slow  pacewise on the training cycle but getting good miles. I finally seemed to have unlocked a health issure problem that has been dealing me fits all spring!

Belated congrats to Carol on a very succesful tri and to OM on getting the job.

Leslie looks like you are getting these pool workouts down! Oh and u might have to get your friend some blinders like they use on race horses so she focuses on what is in front of you when she was wheeling you around instead of watching the hunky dudes.:-)

Ev cool u found an impromptu run partner at the graduation.

Joe enjoy Ariz, stay cooool man! Think I would wilt as it has been so durned cold here.........

Arla have fun in the PNW hope u get some scenic runs in up there.Enjoy your summer, sounds like you have a great one planned.

Mtn peeps hope to see u guys soon, Sandhills are gonna be pretty with all the rain. Valentine had frost nite before last so hopefully it is still cool for the race.

Stump good on you for doin' the yoga hope work lets u slide in some nice runs.

Trying to spray these days and get equip ready for such and irrig equip ready to run for later. I have a lot of corn going out in June, hope I can find someone to drive big truck for me as I am covered up running the farm. Lightning took out our server, sat modem, router monday nite , hopefully it didn't get any 100 hp irrig motors also. Did manage to salvage our hard drive so have our data without having to use our backups.

Right now we are in the agricultural garden spot of the nation weather wise, hope it continues. Agricultural weather disasters ongoing in major growing areas all over the country,Flooding in MT,ND,SD most of thecornbelt and Ms Delta, southern plains region in severe drought, only 30 percent of the hard red wheat crop in good condition. I feel for those producers and even with insurance and any possible gov assistance it will be tough sledding for them to stay afloat (poor choice of words with all the flooding). I know producers with a mil in inputs bought, most of their crop sold for next yr and not a seed in the ground yet.........

Guess we are on call for the wknd so as to use any break in the weather to get fieldwork done. Felt so guitly for taking a 30hr ski vacation after our 30 day straight work run. Love what we do but need to find a way to enjoy life a little more.

Have a great wkend folks!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey folks. Thanks for the congrats on the new job. You all know I just had surgery on Tuesday, right? I forget what I've posted where... but yeah, spent Tuesday night in the hospital, came home Wednesday, had my post-op appointment Thursday, and finally was allowed to shower today. At the appointment yesterday, I really couldn't see how I looked, so I asked MrOM as he sat across from me in the room. Best thing he could've ever said to me: "you should've seen the other guy!". Yeah, I'm all misshapen and bruised and such... but definitely on the mend, so I can't complain one bit. And the fact that I have this new job at the running store waiting for me once I'm good and healed (two weeks should make a world of difference, I'm sure), is just the perfect icing on the cake.

So yeah, no running for a while, but that's cool: life is truly good. Smile

Happy weekend to all!

Jim - You shouldn't feel guilty about enjoying yourself.  You and Lynda work damn hard and deserve your "me" time.  Yea on the 40-mile week!

OM - {{{Lots of Hugs}}}  That Mr.OM - What a gem. Smile

45 min of core/strength this a.m., followed by 30 min of stationary biking.  I need to remember to switch these every other time.  Makes the bike part more challenging when the legs are tired.  Also, I worked out while watching an infomercial for P90X.  Made me work harder than I normally would have.  My arms are pooped, which makes crutching around a little more interesting.

Nothing big planned for the weekend, except The Hub will be home for a couple days.  Yea!  My yard can get mowed!  And no, that is not a euphemism.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Have a good one, friends ~

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance