Masters Running

Sunday May 15th (Read 571 times)

lamerunner

Hello!   Rainy here too. But very green.

I got out to the rail trail at Massabesic ( Rockingham rec trail)  before the major rain; just a couple of showers.  Trail in decent shape. Not too many new rocks... .  I ran 15-16 or thereabouts; longest since Boston.   Not high energy but ok. Just before I was ready to turn around I think I saw a coyote pup. Young animal but way bigger and broader than a fox. Floppy ears, long thin tail...  Stared me down a while then ran off into the woods.  I continued another few minutes but wondered where the rest of the family might be.

yesterday was  a 10 miler on the rail trail in Windham NH. ( Seems to be a rail trail weekend despite our limited supply). DS had a lacrosse game down  in Windham so I checked it out; had never been before. It was nice; this one in Windham is paved and not that long ( 3.5 miles each way plus more dirt sections on each end) but well maintained with mile markers each half mile.

Great race for Erika!

OM  it sounds like the relay was fun.

Has anyone heard from the Green Bay gang?

Dang, Erika!  That's quite elevation profile.  Good job on beating your time.  10+ mins.  Nice!

OM - I'm looking forward to hearing more about your relay.

Cellcom folks?  Anything?  Anything?

Found out today that a race I did last year and love - McKenzie River - has become so popular it's now a lottery.  They opened up registration in April, it's held in September, and it's already sold out.  I, of course, had no hopes of running it, but my buddy, Karen, wanted to.  It's getting harder and harder to get into trail runs out here.  Seems like more of them are turning to lotteries because of the exploding popularity of the trail running.  Kind of a bummer.

50 min pool running this afternoon.  Was suppose to be an hour, but they opened up the diving board and we had to get out of the deep end.  I have to say, that rule irritates the hell out of me.  Whenever they open the diving board, everyone has to get out of the deep end.  The week day lifeguards know me and will let me stay in the water so long as I'm not motoring around.  That allows me to hang on to the side and still move one arm and both legs.  But the fact that people are in the water exercising and we have to stop - Grrrrrrrrr!  The lifeguard says, "You can get back in in about 10-15 minutes."  Whatever.

So we went and sat in the hot tub for about 15 minutes. Smile

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice race, Erika! How did you place?

I felt kinda guilty for driving 45 minutes to go running, but I couldn't face running in the snow.  We got another 6" last night, and it was wet and slushy.  So I drove down to below the snow line and did a 10 mile trail run. It had rained down there so the trail was muddy, including a couple of places with thick clay.  I'm not sure if I've ever encountered mud quite that sticky - felt like concrete overshoes!  When I got past the gooey clay parts, I had to stop and scrape the mud off my shoes. Yeesh!  Most of the trail was pretty runnable except for a couple of bad places, and it was 43° and overcast, so IRC.  Overall 10.3 miles, 11:20 avg pace including walking through the muddy parts ( no way to run them).  Seems kind of pointless to run in lightweight shoes when they each have a pound of mud stuck to them.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

We have a hilly little low-key race around here that I've wanted to do for years, but just never had the gumption to get up "early" on a Sunday morning to drive way out there for a race that isn't part of the local series. But... DH thought it would be fun, and knew I wanted to do it so we committed to getting up and out there to do this. It's called the Murphy Dome Roam, and is basically a 3 mile steep (as in STEEP) run up the hill then turn down for 8 miles of mostly easy downhill (some steep, and some ups in there too) back to the start. You can run the race either way, with a long steady climb and 3 miles of steep downhill as the other option. I didn't really know what to expect for time, so checked last year's results to see how some women I know did. One gal ran it in 1:41 and she can beat me on a flat course, so I figured I'd like to beat that time. Those first three miles were a beast, and I did the run/walk thing I do on the steep part of Ester Dome (Equinox). Several people passed me, but I managed to pass all but one of them on the downhill. DH had his bike and caught up to me around the halfway point and kept me company for the rest of the trip down the hill. Lots of roadkill as I passed at least 7 runners, all who had passed me on the way up. Heee! Final time was 1:29:51 so I beat my own goal by 10+ minutes. Good food at the end too with a potluck spread in addition to the standard bananas and Gatorade.

WildChild...I will NEVER feel guilty of driving that far to run without snow in MAY!!!! I am glad you did it!!!

Amazing race Erika!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will be the star I shall follow in Newport

7 miles tonight after the rain and a long day of activities. Legs felt amazingly sproinky after my 22 miler yesterday!. 61 miles for the week and I think it is time to taper Roll eyes

OrangeMat, I can't wait to hear your story! Relay events are life changing moments! 

Dove, which marathon was the one you ran today. It sounded fun!!!Joking

BTY, great runs this weekend!!

Mustang Sally, you will rock BayShore!!! Any boomer's meet up??????????? in the plan?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

and I was able to work outside the rest of the day with no need for a nap.

LR day with no nap?   Shocked  I love my LR day nap.....

Erika - wow! Nice racing!

I had zip for mojo yesterday, so I did 6.15 easy-paced miles on the TM and called it a day.  Spent the afternoon shopping at with DD and a friend (of mine), sifting through the Kohl's clearance racks with my 30% off coupon....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I logged on after 10pm last night to check the weather and post my little "run".  The weather said that there would be patchy frost after 4am.  I have a lot of money invested in flower pots so far, so headed outside to bring in those that I could and covered the rest with towels.  Sheesh, I thought it was past last frost date here!  So, no time to finish reading about everyone, except Erica's hill on the race.  Wow that is incredble.  How many people do the 3 miles downhill?

I was up at 2am for that darn paper route, then a short nap before worship team practice at 8am.  I love our new worship minister, she is a breath of fresh air, plus I can finally play the synth and not be the lead instrument at the piano all the time.  The sunshine was inviting me to run before I crashed, so started on my usual lake route.  My HR was way too high for as slow as I go, so ended up walking more than usual.  (AHA 141, MAX 156).

It was a good run though, stopped at a friend's house and met her fiance.  Have a good week everyone.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mustang Sally, you will rock BayShore!!! Any boomer's meet up??????????? in the plan?

Nah.  None whatsoever.  Wink

This was a big running weekend for me, but not much else.  13.45 miles on Saturday morning, then 6 more miles on Sunday morning, making a 50 mile week.  My 1st 50 in probably 6 months easily.

3.5 slow miles this morning.  A couple of big workouts planned for this week, then we'll ease into a one week taper beofre the Bayshore 10K.  I'll get no PR this time - much too much time taken off - but we'll see what we can muster up.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Butterfly Lady:

Per Byl:

Nah.  None [Big Bayshore Gathering] whatsoever.  Wink

It will, in fact, be relatively quiet by some Gathering standards.  Bail, Markguy, and dAAve are running the 10K, dg and I are (supposed to be) running the marathon, and I'm not sure about Batman-Steve.  We lost Econo and Finn along the way.

In other words, none of the big West Coast troublemakers are coming along, so I expect we'll have a quiet dinner and catch up on our knitting the night before the race, and then maybe repair to the rec centre for a game of shuffleboard or two afterwards.

dg.

Butterfly Lady:

Per Byl:

It will, in fact, be relatively quiet by some Gathering standards.  Bail, Markguy, and dAAve are running the 10K, dg and I are (supposed to be) running the marathon, and I'm not sure about Batman-Steve.  We lost Econo and Finn along the way.

In other words, none of the big West Coast troublemakers are coming along, so I expect we'll have a quiet dinner and catch up on our knitting the night before the race, and then maybe repair to the rec centre for a game of shuffleboard or two afterwards.

TammyinGP

hey, I resemble that remark!! Black eye

. . .sounds like a <ahem> refined group at Bayshore. . . but I don't buy it one bit. shuffleboard? knitting? not at Bill's party house!

In other words, none of the big West Coast troublemakers are coming along, ...

Tammy