Masters Running

Wednesday's Pre-Thanksgiving Daily, 11.26.14 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Welcome back, OM! I'm adding my CONGRATS! for your success and BQ in Philly!

Welcome back to you too, Starr. You ought to know you don't need a run to post here. Good luck with tonight's concert and your toe surgery.

Stumpy, thank you to your nephew for his service to our country, and to you for helping to brighten a soldier's Christmas.

Good luck to all the pie bakers. DW made a couple of gluten-free crusts last night. They'll be filled with pumpkin and coconut custard in time for tomorrow's feast.

Twocat, thanks for the cranberry sauce tip. Are you sure I shouldn't buy it in a can...?

My meeting last night was less combative than I expected. Then again, I tried to find ways to close off any arguments before they got started, and was reasonably successful.

3.3 quick miles this morning, except for when I stopped to chat with the newspaper delivery guy. Big (maybe) snow coming today, which may cause some problems with tomorrow morning's race. I'll have to see what the roads are like early tomorrow morning, and find out if the race will still be on. There's always something...

For those traveling today or tomorrow; be patient and get there safely. And for everyone, have a greta Thanksgiving!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Jay and all to follow!

Since I am hosting 16-18 for tomorrow's feast, I took a vacation day today so I could get some cooking and preparation done ahead of time.  (Also so I could run the town Turkey Trot tomorrow without worrying about the time it was taking me out of the house.)

I will be serving relatively simple fare, but a variety:

Spiral-sliced ham

Baked beans with sausage

Balsamic root vegetables

Brown rice with pesto and pine nuts

Sautéed green beans

Cheesy potatoes

Parsley potatoes

Stuffing

Deviled eggs

Broccoli salad

Sweet potato soufflé

Rolls

Brownies (cut into Christmas tree shapes and decorated with icing and M&Ms

Banana pudding

Pumpkin Pie

Pecan Pie

Cheese/cracker/hummus/fruit tray

Plus my niece is bringing an appetizer and my SIL another pie.

Well, I guess I had better get started....

5.1 miles for me this morning in 29 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Good morning! In our family, Thanksgiving means sesame teriyaki marinated salmon which we bring and grill on the outdoor barbecue, and it's more popular than the traditional roast turkey.

3.22 super easy miles in the nasty wet stuff that has begun to fall from the sky, and which threatens to make my son's flight home today from Madison WI quite challenging. This first post-marathon jog felt totally fine though.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Congratulations BQ-OM;

you sure earned that.

Have fun.

ps - do you still have your gremlin?

did it help?

pps - nice seafood Thanksgiving.

After going down to the dock when we were in Woods Hole in 1971 for live lobster, shellfish, cod, haddock, etc. for the next day's Thanksgiving dinner, I've otten wondered why the Pilgrims didn't have any seafood too.

Good luck Starr. .

ps - once a runner, always a runner

once a poster, always a poster.

Holly - are you sure mariposai and enke aren't in on your massive cooking?

have fun in the 5K but maybe a marathon might be in order afterwards.

twocat - sorry to say it about canned cranberry sauce but maybe it's akin to younger people preferring surimi (pollock) fake crab meat to real king crab, or everyone now preferring beef for deer, moose, elk, buffalo, etc.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Wow, it has been quite a month so far what with first Mustang Sally and now OrangeMat returning to the fold. Welcome back both of you -- you have been missed (even though I've kept up with your exploits via Facebook).

Tet, they stopped manufacturing Gremlins in the 1970s so I doubt that she still has one. 

Holly, I had the route to your house all mapped out on my GPS until I saw that there was no turkey on the menu, so I guess we'll fix our own dinner tomorrow. But feel free to ship me any leftover pecan pie! Neither my DW nor DS like pie much at all, but my MIL always bakes a pumpkin pie which ends up split between the two of us.

On a related subject, I am definitely not in favor of those new regulations where restaurants will have to post calories for all their menu items. The problem is that there are times when I am really in the mood for a slice of key lime pie or some somewhat rich dessert when eating out, or even a treat at the Dairy Queen in summer. I really don't care about the calories and don't need to, but if a big number is right there staring me in the face I'm going to have a tough time ignoring it. Ignorance is bliss and I'd rather remain ignorant!

I'm continuing to stay off the knee as much as possible, so it's been all cross-training lately. Monday I did a spinning class; Tuesday was for swimming; and today it was a strength workout at Planet Fitness. I might have to cut back on tomorrow's feast, however, since my aerobic workouts will be curtailed for a while yet.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good morning ~

Holly - I'm not sure I'd call all that "relatively simple," but considering how many you're feeding, I guess the amount probably just about right!

It'll be a very quiet Thanksgiving for us, as usually - just me, Shorty, and my dad - so the menu will be small and simple: turkey, mashed taters, asparagus, and garlic bread.  I got a few, but simple, eats for appetizers.

Speaking of eating, as I lay in bed this a.m. trying to wait out Chico's insistence to be fed, I contemplated two things: (1) I could get up, workout, and go to the store after work and battle the rest of the last minute shoppers, or (2) I could get up, go to the store, thus beating the end of the day crowds, and workout when I get home.  #2 won out, and I was at the grocery story before 6:00 a.m. doing some final shopping, home by 6:30, at work by 7:30.  Hopefully, we get to go home early today.

Hoping I feel up to running the Turkey Trot tomorrow.  I guess they're expecting close to a thousand people.  For our little community, that's huge!

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo

Quite the menu Holly.

The apple pie is about ready to come out. The pumpkin I might have screwed up. (not from the can) Looks pretty running and has been in the oven 15 mins longer than it should have been.

Crust making is a very messy job. The biggest challenge for me was rolling it out. Then it was getting it into the pie tin with out tearing.

I have two shells ready for Chocolate filling. So all total, that's an apple, Pumpkin maybe, and 2 chocolates with one extra shell.

5.6 miles. ( degrees...nice run.

King of PhotoShop

I don't get it.  Who am I supposed to fine and why?

Nice to see OM here again and happy for the BQ. She has been a serious, dedicated and constantly improving runner for some time.

Tet, maybe they had oyster dressing with the turkey, and I'm with OM that I wish there were more tasty seafood dishes at TG, like her teriyaki salmon. But tradition is tradition, and even Twocat's lament about how bad canned cranberry sauce is, many people prefer it over even the best recipe from scratch.

This morning I made my grandmother's sausage and soda cracker stuffing, with Bell's seasoning and lots of onion and celery.  Everyone in the family goes ape for it.

My son Hudson got accepted at Fordham yesterday, so he is pretty psyched about that. More schools to hear from yet though.

Day two of no running. I feel like I called in sick to work when not sick!  This experiment better work tomorrow.

See that Starr?  No workout but posting a lot of crap anyway.  Have at it.  Spareribs

evanflein

Hey, I like it when people post a lot of crap whether they've run or not! Please join in!

Holly, that's a large menu for a "simple" Thanksgiving. I don't think I've ever served brown rice with two kinds of potatoes.... Definitely something for everyone!

Leslie, that was a smart move. Even though, I just don't see myself ever in a grocery store before 7 a.m.... heck, before 9 a.m. even! But, I sure know what you mean about avoiding the crowds. You saved yourself a lot of time just with that.

Given the later day heat here, and that I want to not run during "family time," I was out early again today just before sunrise at 6:50 a.m. Ran 8 hilly miles and saw the sunrise from Spouting Horn park. I'll try to get some pictures posted eventually.

Anyone got hints for posting photos from Facebook here? I know Holly and Wildchild do it sometimes, but it never works for me so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, that's a large menu for a "simple" Thanksgiving. I don't think I've ever served brown rice with two kinds of potatoes.... Definitely something for everyone!

I didn't mean that it was a simple Thanksgiving, just that most of the dishes were relatively uncomplicated.  Like you said, I am just trying to offer enough options that everyone will find something they like.  And a couple of these are specific requests for specific people.  What doesn't get eaten tomorrow will offer leftovers all weekend.  With a teenage boy in the house, that is important. 

As for the FB photos, I can load from my phone quite easily, otherwise I load from a folder on my computer (just hit "browse" and locate the folder).

Leslie - I know exactly what you mean, I have traded my morning run for a trip to the grocery.  Not just before a holiday, but before any predicted storm or snow, the grocery here is a madhouse.

Slo - I can't make pie without getting flour EVERYWHERE.....

Ribs - I will be interested to see what school your DS chooses.

I just got back from the packet pickup for our Turkey Trot.  They always have nice shirts, this year grey/orange long sleeve tech shirt.  Two other shirts from past years are winter running staples for me.  They usually have nearly 7,000 people for the 5-mile race, making it one of the biggest in the state.  Not a race for really "racing" though, but nice to get out there with the crowd.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

I don't recall Ribs. I say fine everyone and give it to charity.

Short run today with some added pace. Yeah. I wasn't really ready for that. Glad I'm not racing anything tomorrow. We have a Drumstick Dash 5 miler I think that has 10,000 runners. Umm no thanks.

I am going to attempt to make TC's cranberry sauce. This should be interesting. Cheesecake came out ok.

Have a good one and Happy Thanksgiving.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Hello from sunny Arizona!  We've been on the road for a week, and we're finally starting to slow down and relax in the warmth.  We're camping in our van, and it's been chilly at night but warm during the day.  This morning I actually ran in shorts and a tee shirt for the first time!  All my runs have been in shorts, but usually long sleeves and gloves till today.

I've only skimmed the posts, but sounds like some good eating is planned for tomorrow!  Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.  I am thankful to be part of such a fun and supportive group.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - are you down by the river?  

Jealous of the shorts and t-shirt...

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Mariposai

Holly, great job on the menu! Lucky those who will be eating at your house.

Since I am going to a friend's house for THE dinner tomorrow I just have to worry about making a salad and a dessert. I decided to make a roasted yam and kale salad and bread pudding for dessert, both twocat's recipes and both very, very yummy.

Since it snowed all night here last night I decided to go out for my first idyllic and snowy smile miles run this early morning. Then I cross trained by shoveling the snow from my driveway to get to work. It is a good thing that my RP kept me company.

Off to do some gym diva moves and then I will watch a chick flick movie on Netflix. Loving it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard