Masters Running

40's + on the run....new week/newruns.... (Read 461 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - your scan went fine means you're OK? And do you trust your doc who said absolutely no running? Kelly - I always feel a little breathless when I read your posts. It's like you're doing enough for two people! Jim - interesting and good news to hear that the roller is really helping with the calf/achilles issues. And now you're hitting the weights a bit more? You're gonna be pretty studly by spring! Jewels - yes, please, do make sure your Florida weather is perfect. I'd like to request low humidity Tongue SR - got recommendations for Spring marathons on the west coast? Is Big Sur too much for a relative newbie? Off for a short and verrry slow run - and scheduled a massage today with a gal my neighbor recommends - she actually comes to your house yet charges about the same as anywhere around town Big grin Arla

Ex runner

Leslie - your scan went fine means you're OK? And do you trust your doc who said absolutely no running?
      Re the scan, I meant no problems whilst it was happening nor after. Won't have the results for a couple of days, but the internist finally called me for an appointment. Re no running - I trust myself on that one. I figure it if still bothers me to walk and go up or down stairs, it's too soon to try running. But it's definitely gotten better since I stayed off it as much as possible over the weekend. Over on the daily thread, Ribs posted info about a friend of his who's an excellent ultra runner. It's well worth repeating here: Let me share a couple of stories with you this morning, since it's a non-running day for me. Last year I was running with a friend of mine here in Coppell, who is a member of my club at the lake. He is a pretty strong ultramarathoner named Scott Eppelman. You can Google him to see some of his accomplishments but take my word for it, he is good. It seems to me the guy never has an injury despite all these events he runs in. I asked him about it during our run and he told me that the instant he feels anything that even might be an injury he immediately backs off from running and "goes after it." In December, Billy Rodgers spoke at the White Rock Marathon expo and he too spoke about injuries. He made an interesting comment about runners' attitudes regarding injury. He said that serious runners tend to attack their runs and races, putting a lot of effort and focus into them, which we all know is true, but he also commented that when runners get injured, they have to put that same energy and focus into "attacking" the injury. He then cited all the poor habits many injured runners get into: the Stick, the chiropractor, running through it in hopes it will go away, advice from other runners ("did you ever have this? I have this.") and then the experimentation with various stretches, instead of just fully focusing on the injury itself. I saw myself in all the examples he gave, and also realized I don't do the things that Scott does.
      SR - got recommendations for Spring marathons on the west coast? Is Big Sur too much for a relative newbie?
      I'm not SR, but I'm still putting a plug in for the Avenue of the Giants in May. Big grin
      scheduled a massage today with a gal my neighbor recommends - she actually comes to your house yet charges about the same as anywhere around town Big grin
      I'm actually groaning at the thought of a massage.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Good advice Leslie. Off on another track,does anyone know how to change the colors in our new log?It doesn't seem to be where it was before?

Off on another track,does anyone know how to change the colors in our new log?It doesn't seem to be where it was before?
          We can change the colors?? Black eye

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

We can change the colors?? Black eye
            We used to be able to have different colors for different runs (easy,tempo,etc) .I can't find where to change them anymore.My "hills" are too much like my "trails".

Ah! Okay, now I know what you're talking about.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Alrighty then , I figured it out . For those who are interested, click "options" ,then "manage my activities". Click on "run" then you'll see the run types. Click on the run type to change the color. 8 miles tonight in yucky weather .33*, drizzly, just on the verge of icing up. Tongue

Morning..... Nice chilly run you had there Joe.....brrrr! I've been playing around with the new log as well. Very nice! Kelly....congrats to your son! Sending low humidity vibes to Arla.... Leslie, that advice really was worth repeating. If I could take back one mistake I've made in the last couple of years it would be last month when I pushed my way thru those last 3 miles in pain. Stupid is, is what stupid does! Something like that..... It's a new year with new goals for everyone so I'll get thru it! Went to the gym with my daughter yesterday. 1 hour of very light weights just to get a "feel" for everything. I got a great "student" discount, nice gym, close to home, my BIL, SIL, nephew and daughter all go there so what the heck. No contracts, I can quit next month if it's not working out. Let me tell you I am out of shape.....especially my core. Some of those ab machines barely budged when I tried them. A little embarassed but my daughter "helped" me get thru it by leaning on the bar to help it "move" up and down. Did some free weights as well. She loves the gym.....so that should help my motivation some. O.K. I've rambled enough...... P.S. 2 miles on the treadmill as well. No knee pain..... Jewels
                  But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                    Howdy 40's! Sounds like a whole lot going on with you guys + a little running as well (or a lot in some cases). Everyday - so you're just making those 15 milers sound like nothing at all. Nice base you have there. Got any races on the calendar, or just enjoying the ride? Jim - so the utility co. calls a meeting to tell you that? Ours just sends the bill, LOL. How is Lynda's running these days? Arla - sounds like you are embracing the taper with that nice massage and science project to boot. Getting excited for you! Jewels - sounds like you're doing well easing back into the weight training/core work. Smart to take it easy at first and get the mucho soreness phase out of the way. Betting the core work will really help your running. Good job pampering that knee so it will continue to do your bidding in the future. Joe - hmmmm....a 3 legged dog? Just hanging out on the trails? Sounds like you are enjoying some cruising time on that nice base of yours. AA - waterfront Seattle sounds nice. Watch out for those flying fish if you head inland a bit! Leslie - glad your CT is done. What fun, huh? I had a head CT with that same contrast stuff...definitely a weird feeling. Bet you were drinking and peeing for a while after as well. Hope you get some answers soon. Kelly - isn't it amazing how busy you can be even without a traditional job? Hoping you find something to meet your needs soon. What fun for your snowboarding son! He must be pretty good. Does he have a coach, or just learned by watching and doing? Had been feeling a little blue the last few days. Too much work, not enough running, struggling w/ decision re: closing the pet sitting biz, TOM, etc. I had also been training (remotely) our new CPA for the last couple of weeks...sinking lots of time into it as she was preparing to take on some of my workload so I could focus on a new client. Then the owner of our firm called last week to let me know she had let her go effective that day. Lovely! Passed off work comes back my way, no relief on the old clients and I still have the new one and it's month end, quarter end, year end, etc. (whaaa, whaaa, boo hoo feeling sorry for self). So I let work , weather and general pissiness get in the way of running for a few more days. But I finally got out for a nice run in the sun yesterday at lunch. If there was ever a doubt, I know for sure now that running is a natural antidepressant. It was such a drastic contrast how I felt before vs. how I felt after. In the interest of mental stability, I WILL run no matter how busy work seems to be a the moment. Have fun out there my friends, and goooooooo Arla!!!!!!!
                    Progress Trumps Pefection
                      If there was ever a doubt, I know for sure now that running is a natural antidepressant. It was such a drastic contrast how I felt before vs. how I felt after. In the interest of mental stability, I WILL run no matter how busy work seems to be a the moment.
                      Carol - Sometimes it's hard, hard, hard to push yourself out the door, but you're right in that once you get going, it's amazing how much better you feel. Good luck with all the work. Just thinking about your job gives me a migraine. I can't even balance my own checkbook - literally. Jewels - I had to Big grin when you talked about not being able to budge the machines. A long time ago, I had a membership at a local health club. Went with my friends one a.m. and decided to try the machine (name?) where you put your arms over and behind your head then pull up (works the triceps). I had no weight on the thing and could not budge it for anything! Every embarrassing. My friends were laughing their butts off at me. Joe - Your weather sounds Dead. Glad it's you and not me. Wink Dragged my lazy butt out of bed and did 30 min on the stationary bike and 30 min upper body and core. The fact that the Hub was snoring like a chainsaw helped motivate me to get up. I am now taking my laptop and a DVD out with me to watch and listen to during the bike phase. Otherwise, I can't hardly stand it, it's so boooooorrrrrring. Ankle is definitely feeling better and, of course, is more irritated in the evenings after walking around during the day. Keeping my fingers crossed that by Monday I'll be back on the road - in new shoes. Thought this might give you a smile - The correct way to weigh yourself:

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Easy 4 today, well maybe not so easy as I had a pretty stiff headwind for half of it and pace reflected such but thats ok. The irrigation rate plans are so complicated it takes a meeting to explain the options. We are hooked in with the utility co-op that supplies much of the CO front range and we are basically at their mercy but net, net, net we are looking at a 5.7% rate increase for electric rates. I better keep at it, trying to lock in some diesel at these lower prices. Later gators

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

To maintain my sanity. Running keeps me level. It's as simple as lacing up and hitting the road in order to keep my head clear and my heart happy. – JustMarion That's for you Carol.Copied from the front page. Now don't you forget it!!! Jewels- good going with the gym stuff.Hey, a little at a time right? Leslie- great idea with the laptop, what ever keeps you going out there! Nice pic too! Jim- How about a wind farm? Solar? any options like that that make sense? Not the main power source of course,but could that help?

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - your DH makes a great alarm clock, yes? Evil grin Carol - Sorry to hear that you're getting buried, but good on you making your fitness and sanity a priority! Amazing how you can head out the door all kinds of glum/cranky/whatever and come back positively giddy. Woke up a litte sore today from the massage, she did some deep tissue work and kept finding problem areas where I thought there weren't any. My ITB was tight on both sides, and some of the small muscles around the shoulder blade were pretty crunchy, if you know what I mean. Water, ibuprofen, and a hot bath on the menu today! Anyone have any comments on humidity? Fresno isn't exactly sticky, and I have no idea what a person does to deal with that stuff. Arla

Ex runner

My experience is that the humidity will suck the fluid from you, so keep in mind that you may need to drink more than you normally do. Also, maybe a bandana that you can saturate with cold water and wrap around your neck? It'll help keep you cooled down. I wanna a massage.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Anyone have any comments on humidity? Fresno isn't exactly sticky, and I have no idea what a person does to deal with that stuff.
                                Don't wear cotton-you'll be soaked! Big grin Like Leslie said-be prepared to drink more. I bet you'll be fine. Rainy and icy here today-Joe must have sent it to me! Thanks! I wore my Ice Bugs and didn't have any problems. Ice Bugs are sneakers with tiny spikes on the bottom so I don't slip! I hardly ever wear them because they're useless with any snow on the ground-the spikes aren't that big. Keep your chin up Carol, I'd help if I was closer Big grin Jewels-Have a trainer take you through the machines and get you set up correctly so you don't hurt yourself and keep in mind some weight machines are not female friendly in that they don't adjust small enough or the lightest weight can be too heavy still for some women. There are plenty of free weight alternatives to the machines. Jim-Keep up the strength work, it does the body good-this goes for everyone! Everyday & AA-looks like you're fairing well. Good night! Kelly
                                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.