Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 12/04 (Read 549 times)

"Victory isn't defined by wins or losses. It is defined by effort. If you can truthfully say, 'I did the best I could, I gave everything I had,' then you're a winner." ---Wolfgang Schadler

And I'll add that this applies to life in general.

I slept like a log last night and finally dragged myself out of bed around 6:45.  My boss is gone this whole week, so I've been able to ease into things today.  On the sad front, a client and good friend of one of my co-workers died on Saturday.  He came down with pneumonia the week prior, didn't go the doctor, ended up in ICU, and never recovered, and as of this afternoon, it sounds like the doc suspects he had leukemia and would've have lived but  maybe another 6 weeks.  Very shocking, to say the least.

Okay - Gotta get back to work . . .

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hello?  Anybody?  Anybody??

Last night I was so tired when I got home, I went to bed at 8:30.  Unfortunately, I woke up quite a bit during the night.  Consequently, I used it as an excuse to get up in time only to do an hour of core/strength.  I had planned on doing my 30 min of stationary biking or 3 EZ running miles after work, but forgot it was a Shorty visit night.  As of December 1, we have about 52+/- 'til he comes home.  Needless to say, I'm happy and nervous at the same time.

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

My boss is gone this whole week

That's some good news, right there, I tell you what.

Sorry to hear about the client and friend of your coworker.   Pneumonia is nothing to take lightly.  Maybe a lesson for us all. 

3 easy miles for me this evening.  Still really nice weather!  Cold, sleet/rain and snow forecast for Fri and Saturday. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - shocking when someone dies unexpectedly like that! Ugh! I guess the older we get, the more we realize that it could be us! So enjoy those times when the boss is gone...Evil

ev - you know all those easy 3s are adding up to some consistent miles, I think you've got a nice base coming along. If the snow/sleet/etc doesn't slow you down, that is! 

Still looking nice around here, fog season is upon us, it's always a little magical to run in the fog - it seems to muffle sounds and make the world a little more peaceful. 

Ex runner

Well...thanks Arla, they are the first step towards a nice base. Smile   Thanks for noticing and it does serve as a bit of encouragement.  I have started over and look to build back up ever so slowly.  I think there may be a 4 miler on the schedule in a week or so.   Look for it!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

I think there may be a 4 miler on the schedule in a week or so.   Look for it!

Cool

I love running in the fog.  Did you post info about The Monkey and I missed it?  I heard it was a tad rainy.

No fog on the home front, but it was crisp and clear with star-studded skies.  Did approx 3 miles with 4 hill repeats in the middle.

I used some thin heel cushions in my shoes this morning, which seemed to have helped my back.  However, there seems to be too much of a drop now between the heel and the rest of my foot, so I may have to resort to a full insert.  At this point, I don't care what I have to do so long as my foot doesn't bother me and my back doesn't feel like someone kicked me.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

At this point, I don't care what I have to do so long as my foot doesn't bother me and my back doesn't feel like someone kicked me.

I hope you're going to figure it out Leslie.

Enjoyed my lowest mileage week in 4 years last week. All of 3 miles run. Back up to 20 on three runs this week, and feeling quite zippy. It's been incredibly warm for this time of year. Not only here, but in Toronto last weekend, it was 65*. I hate global warming.

Arla- fog is only fun when there's no cars around. How are you planning on racing\running 39.3 miles in 24 hours?

Ev- not a good feeling about my team right now. Could be the end of the Coughlin era though I don't blame it on him. It will take a miracle to beat GB. If that doesn't happen, we have to beat your guys twice for the division. Not likely.

Arla- How are you planning on racing\running 39.3 miles in 24 hours?

What?

3 miles, Joe?  *fainting . . . .*

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hi guys and gals....looks like we have a mix of genders this week Smile.

Leslie, yes, that pneumonia stuff is serious.  My M-I-L died from it, and that is what sent my F-I-L into a tailspin back in April.

Ev ramping up a bit, Joe taking some well deserved down time.  Looks like the group is in equilibrium.

Arla, you're right about the fog...magical.  Snow is that way too.  Love the hush it creates.  You got 2K for 2011 in the bag!  And yes, 39.3 in 24, what is this?

Cindy, your schedule is nuts as usual.  Are you treking up to Breckenridge to work these days?

Hey to everyone else Smile.

White Rock 1/2 this Sunday.  A little bit of race weekend central going on for the weekend...tri friednd from Austin staying w/ us doing her first 1/2; gal from church riding over w/ us en route to doing her first full; expo w/ another tri friend; etc.  Arguing w/ myself about whether to follow the 2:00 pacer and see if I can come in slightly under 2:00 (last 4 miles are downhill).  Probably more real to go for something in the 2:05-2:10 range, but if I'm feeling my oats....maybe Smile.

Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Feel those oats Carol! Good luck!

39.3 miles is Goofy!

I thought Goofy was a marathon?  I'm totally confused.

Carol - I agree with Joe.  Go for the oats!!!

Tonight was the first time in a few weeks I've done an hour of core/strength followed by 30 min of stationary cycling.  Double Ugh!  I attempted my ole "work it while watching the show and double worked it during the commercials."  My legs kept getting decidedly slower during the commercial non-breaks.  . . . . I have a lot of catching up to do. . . . Roll eyes

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I think Goofy is a 1/2 marathon followed by a full marathon the next day.  Shocked  Awesome!

Joe....yeh, the Giants have been taking it pretty tough the last few weeks.  And the pack is on fire.  Beating the Cowboys twice....it's not out of the question.  Remember, you're talking about the cowboys here.  And who knows....the pack is due to lose one sooner or later.

Carol.....good luck at the White Rock!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I think Goofy is a 1/2 marathon followed by a full marathon the next day.  Shocked  Awesome!

Indeed it is. I'm only doing the marathon part, slacker that I am.

Indeed it is. I'm only doing the marathon part, slacker that I am.

That's awesome too!  

Slacker??   Sorry OM, but you're just wrong on this one. 

I haven't been paying attn......when is Goofy?   Sometime in Jan?

OrangeMat

MM #6177

The half is Saturday, January 7 (96% full); marathon is Sunday the 8th (95% full). There's also a marathon relay on Sunday, different course though. All details are here. We're flying down as a family Wednesday through Tuesday; well, everyone aside from DD who has to return to HS on Monday; enough that she's skipping two days Thursday & Friday. DS has off from college the whole month, so it works out well.