Masters Running

40s+ On the Run - w/e 12/13/08 (Read 483 times)

Afternoon everyone.... Glad you had a good time last night Evryday..... Jim, I say fire up that joint as well. They say smokin' that stuff takes the pain away. Just kidding.... Speaking of owwwies.....I did get in a nice LR this morning but the last 3 miles were tough. Had a nagging knee pain that spread up into the thigh and into the hip/butt area. Very painful. I got in 10 but seriously couldn't have gone another 3 ft. it hurt so bad. Probably should have stopped around 7 but..... I could use a joint right now myself...... Shy......instead, I'll just go pop one of my pills that I still have left over from the bursitis I had! Have a super day ya'll...Jewels
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Sucky little one mile run this morning to get me to at least 10 for the week. Lynda's other job had their Christmas party last nite and the glasses of wine I downed might have been part of the problem. I ran in my Nirvanas yesterday, went back to the Riders today, seem to be better on the achilles. You would think that problem would be gone by now, kinda disappointing. Probably shouldn't have raced but I like it so much. Ya might have to go look me up some Nebraska ditchweed Big grin, Geez I was slow on the uptake Confused until I read Jewels comment this morning, then duh Joint - smoke -oh I get it. Wink Jewels hope things are ok, Jonathan told us to be really careful about things that hurt when you are running. Take care of yourself. Ev glad you had a good time, sounds like fun. Interesting on the biodiesel, wasn't at a Seaboard Farms plant by chance? The biodiesel from plant based oils really has tough sledding to compete with cooking uses. Joe very nice Christmas story and a true one at that! Leslie whats up with the hamstring? Hey Cindy glad you stopped by! Hiya to Kelly, Arla and Carol! Lynda and I are being total bums today, really nice to just hang out.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Theme for the day ~ "being total bums today, really nice to just hang out." me too! Big grin drinking coffee @ an internet cafe...on call today, so "dressed & ready to go" (actually pretty calm right now - would be great running weather - if I could just now Sad)...watching the next big weather system move in - I think it has some folks nervous...& Saturdays are kind of a transition day up here...several time share resorts do their weeks Saturday to Saturday... Gotta run....
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          Farmer J - Don't know what the deal was with the hamstring, but it felt much better this a.m. It's been a couple of weeks since I did strength training, so maybe it was like, "What's up??" About that "j" - I live in Humboldt County, aka The Green Triangle . . . . Big grin Jewels - Take care of that knee/leg/hip. Doesn't sound good. Next time, stop! Don't push it. Got my 7-mile trail run done . . . and it snowed on us!! We probably looked like a couple of goofy kids smiling and cracking up at the snow. I realize those of you who live in this stuff aren't impressed Wink, but in the over 21 years I've lived here, this is only the fourth time it's snowed here on the coast. Go 20-30 minutes inland, and they get snow all the time, but not here on the coast. So 7 miles in 1:31:46. It went really well and worked out the kinks from last night's strength training. As for the rest of the day, I should do some housework . . . but why? Smile Think I'll go to the movies instead.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Woohoo.....snow for Leslie! Ya, I should have stopped but my ego got in the way. Undecided Nice to hear from you again Cindy......take care with all that crazy weather. Glad you've been busy with clients though. It was very chilly this morning here.....mid 40's and windy. Never really warmed up too much. Got a fire going as we speak. The house is all decorated and no more school.....I'm soooooo relaxed. Have a super evening, Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
              OK...got the 6 miler in. I'm back to running in shorts and t-shirt today. 65F at 4:00 p.m. and pretty windy. Probably back in pants, layers and ear warmers tomorrow!!! And I aint kidding! Jim, yes that was a Seaboard plant. So are you saying it's more profitable to use the plant based stuff for cooking oils than for othr uses like biodiesel? I do find that whole industry interesting. jewels....really take care of that leg. That sounds serious....please be careful. And that goes for all of us. Go over to the daily thread and count the walking wounded.... I've vowed to slow down and take it easy. carol...are you still out there?
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Hi guys, Yep, I'm still here...just a little windblown! Evryday, it was blowing real good, wasn't it? Didn't get out until around noon, and winds were out of the south 25-30 mph by then. Definitely shorts weather, though. Good to hear from Cindy, and how 'bout those heroes that Joe raised!!! Can't get much better than that for you to see the fine men they have become. Jewels, yes, please be careful and maybe take some extra rest days. Remember my 2 months of no running, cancelled half and all last year? Don't go there. Leslie, you deserve a little down time after that awesome race! R2, sounds like you are hedging lots of things, and the all night session sounds intense. Hope the achilles feels much better soon. Arla, keep plugging, you're doing great! Been easing back in after the stomach bug last week. Breezy 5 miles running at 10:30 pace today + a 1 mile walk. A couple of 3 milers + a couple of walks earlier in the week. Don't know if I'll get my 10 by Christmas or not, but at least hoping to get back to 20 mile weeks. I figure that's half a Kellyweek Wink That's how I guage my race times too. If I finish in 2 X the top finishers' times, I'm doing OK Smile. Neighbor called to ask me about joining the gym I haven't seen in a few weeks. Told her I'd take her as a guest next week so she doesn't have to get the hard sell. Ugh...gotta start over again on the lifting. May also have a partner in crime for my half. Another friend wanting to get more consistent w/ her exercise, so I invited her to run it with me (or another of her choosing). She will likely overtake me quickly speed wise if she trains much at all, but it would be good to have someone to struggle to keep up run with. OK, gotta go see if I have wrapping paper or bags for the haul from today's Christmas shopping blitz, so catch you later! Good runs and rests to all, and much holiday cheer!
                Progress Trumps Pefection
                  Evening, All - I have ended up being fairly sore after last night's strength training and today's run. Boy, I wish I had a massage lined up. Went to the movies this afternoon and saw "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas." My friends, there are no words to describe the impact of this movie. My only negative comment is that they were suppose to be Germans but were all English actors. Otherwise - - - I was the last one to leave the theater because I had a hard time composing myself. Carol - Glad you survived the bug. Evryday - You've been getting in some really nice runs. I agree - spend a little time on the daily thread and their walking wounded and you want to take it real easy on yourself.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

0 degrees, moderate snow, winds gusting to 35, windchill -24 , anyone wanta bring me over a treadmill to put out in the shop? Big grin Temp I could handle but not the stinkin' wind. Bagging our long runs for now.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Farmer J - Ugh!! I guess our rain isn't so bad, although we are having a brief moment of sun. Rest day for me, although everything was fairly stiff and sore this morning, mostly from Friday's workout. But wasn't anything some bathroom cleaning and vacuuming couldn't work out. Got a call from The Hub. He's back in San Antonio and ready to come home. Unfortunately, he doesn't get in 'til after 8:00 p.m. tomorrow. Not quite sure why we set it up that way. Well, I need to extricate myself from a lap full of cat and get some laundry done. Stay safe - - and try to stay warm. Cool MTA - Okay, one more thing. One of the few times all 5 cats are within picture range. Thanks for your indulgence.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Yuck - all those snow and wind reports make me wanna crawl under my blankie! Jewels...take it easy on yourself. Rest or walking for a few days maybe? Cindy - oh THERE you are! Glad to hear that you're busy! Carol - I like your metric - finishing 2X the winner's time is a worthy goal! Leslie - Take care of those hammies, even if they're feeling better! Tight hams and cold weather are kindof a scary combo....btw, I looked at some trail racing events and boy are you right -is it *ever* important to look at the elevation profile! There's one in the Bay Area next weekend (Rodeo Beach) with something like 4,000 ft of gain in the 30K Shocked Ran a half marathon/toy drive in Oxnard yesterday ("Santa to the Sea"), which featured several miles of stiff headwinds - a little sore today from that extra resistance. The best part was picking out a couple of toys, I found a huge stuffed horsey that was big and soft enough to keep me warm at the start, and a way cool radio-controlled car (I always wanted one of those when I was a kid). Baking bread today and doing a little online Christmas shopping...much better than fighting the parking/crowds and I get to stay in my sweats Cool Maybe get a short run in and maybe head out to watch the 'boys lose Evil grin Arla

Ex runner

Hey folks.... Carol, good to hear your back to running after the bug you had. What half are your traiing for? fatozzig...love the cats. Hope the DH had a good time in TX. Whenever I'm gone for a week or so, there is always a little adjusting period once I return. After a whole week of nobody tellin' me what to do I need a slow break in period. So does my wife...probably! Jim....I don't blame you ...that's way too cold. Arla, good going on the half M. Care to share any details? Got a 12 miler in this afternoon. It was cold and windy....just the way I like it. 27F and 30-35 mph winds which made it feel like 27F with 30-35 mph winds. Joe, it's just me and you buddy.......Let's get ready to rumble!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hi All! Carol-good to see you running again.With the weather getting whacky, a gym membership sounds nice! Jim needs a gym ! Hopin' Cindy's not too deep in snow! Jewels- Nice blue bar you put up! Your log looks great! Leslie- that's a full load of kitty there! They must need a lot of staff !! Arla- knocking back some half marathons!! Lookin' good! Evryday- good goin' on your breezy run! These night games take forever to get here but it's almost time! Feels like a playoff game this one does. Hide the children and animals, this could get ugly!!!! Hi to all who's around..... Put down 14.2m in the trails with Buddyboy. That's after getting the tree (we go chop one down) and hanging the outside lights. Have a good evening !

flatland mountaineer

3rd times a charm as I have typed this 3 times so somewhat abbreviated this time. Wind went down so Lyndy and I gave it a shot albeit ever so brief. 2.74 m 0 deg F nw winds @9 wc -15 full kit layers Achilles barking Embarrassed worse than the cold Nice 14'er Joe , Buddy too! Ev WTG on a 12 miler in not so fun plains conditions. Cindy you getting any turns in or just work, work, work? Jewels how is it feeling today? Leslie thats some "herd" ya got there. Carol Like you formula also. Lynda uses it at 10k/5k races. She tries to beat the 10k winners in. Arla nice half, share the details if you like? Kelly, busy busy I spose, hang in there. The National Finals Rodeo concluded last nite. Stran Smith was crowned the new champ in the tie down roping. In 2003 he suffered a stroke @ age 32 and was never expected to rope again. http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServer?pagename=SS_MAG_jf2007_feature_smith

Evenings, peeps - Arla - Rodeo Beach is where Pirates Cove (my 30k this year, going back next year) starts. It's a bugger of a climb right out of the chute. I walk the entire thing. Any details on your HM? Farmer Jim - Still don't like your weather. Wink Evryday and Joe - Nice runs! Was actually fairly productive today. Some laundry, cleaned out the extra bedroom (which was desperately needed), and got the rest of the Christmas decorations out - and I'm done with them. I only have 17 more miles to go to get 1,000 miles in for the year. Big grin

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance