Masters Running

Thursday, 9.24.15 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' fokls.

Good luck getting the private school track, Aamos. I can't believe lawyers are screwing up access to the publc school track. Well, yes I can.

Nice 6er, Moebo. Do the speed work - you'll hate it, but it'll do you good.

Good luck in Quebec, TwoCat. And congrats on your first rain-free RTB!

Nice 'alarm clock' 4-miler, Holly.

You're amazing Deeze - that you can go down so hard and still keep your sense of humor. I hope you're not hurting too much today. I agree - you should stick to running, and leave the walking to the professionals...

To NJ and back in a day? You sure know how to have fun, Ribs!

Great work, TW! - conquer those hills!

Sounds like a great evening, LaT.

Excellent 13er, Mike.

Rethinking the streak might be a good move, Econo. My streaks usually last about 4-6 days, and that's enuf for me.

5.3 pre-dawn RW miles in 53F temps with Venus, Saturn and Pluto in sight, and a gorgeous Big Dipper too. My hamstrings and glutes are still protesting from the weekend, but I tried to warm them up well this morning and then push onward. They grudgingly came along, but not with what anyone in their right mind would call speed or grace. So it goes...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Jay - thanks, just kudos to your recap!

Probably biking today, not running as still recovering from the cold that Henrun so generously shared.

as to Zaa'tar - been using it for a few years since I was given the Jerusalem cookbook - awesome recipes

the only time i counted walking miles was when I had to keep track of 'exercise time' for a work competition.  then realized how much I did!

hope everyone has the weather we're having right now IRC/IWC/IBC

marj

marj

Yes! And hoping that it stays this way through Saturday for our half marathon.

+1 on the daily recaps Jay.

Feel better Econo, Marj and Henry!

I hope you're not too sore this morning Deez. My running partner and I went into the pool this morning to swim/pool run for an hour and a half and she slipped coming out of the locker room, landing on her left wrist trying to break her fall. She's been icing it since 6:30 and is hoping nothing is broken

Got the new car yet Holly?

My two oldest grandsons "graduate" from karate class this afternoon. We'll be there with the camera, as good grandparents always are

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mornin'

Gee whiz, do we appreciate how really speedy is our chum MikeE?? That's crazy fast for a practice run.

Really noticing a change in the weather.  Goes down to low 70s at night so the am run is lovely; the pm ones are bearable to kinda nice.

Did three and a half last night just b/c I could and then just 6 this am.

Is that the name of the cookbook, The Jerusalem Cookbook, marj?

Really glad none of us are driving in DC, NY or Philly this week!

And Jay, don't forget the eclipse Sunday!

Happy heading into the weekend station.....where we get the tram for the airport for the plane to Japan.  Don't be late!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

Is that the name of the cookbook, The Jerusalem Cookbook, marj?

Jerusalem, a cookbook by Ottolenghi & Tamimi  there's a second cookbook out, but the first is better.  our library has it.

Oh!  Just noticed the Za'atar discussion.  I'm crazy about it!  A student of mine brought some (with pita bread & olive oil) as an appetizer to a potluck a couple years ago and I've been madly sprinkling it on various dishes ever since.

Went to the track this morning & walked 2 laps with my track buddy... Recovering nicely & can't wait to run again.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

I caught a heads-up on the news in time for DD and I to get outside and watch the International Space Station fly across the sky at 6:34am today - very cool.

Today is my parent obligation to feed the volleyball team after school and before their game.  I will take off work at 2:00 and have to be at the school with food to feed 14 growing young women at 3:15.  Then they work on homework for a bit, then suit up and warm up for the first game at 5:30.  DD's team starts at about 6:30, and the playing goes on until close to 8pm, so this counts as an early dinner.  Since this is a workday, I am taking the easy route - 4 pizzas, a big bowl of salad with various toppings, confetti cupcakes with purple icing that I baked this morning, and a cooler full of water bottles.  Glad I'm not feeding the football team!

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

{{{Deez!}}}  You have a great sense of humor.  Hopefully, you're not too sore today.

Tet - Loved the post re celebrating the "seasoned folks" in Japan.  There's a 100 miler soon (maybe this weekend?) that circumnavigates Mt. Fuji.  Amy Sproston, a well-known ultra runner, will be there.  I don't know who else from the US.

So what have I been up to . . . hmmmm

Tuesday - 5 miles at the McKay.  It was really nice, quiet.  Worked on power walking as well as controlling my easy pace.  And I'm getting better at the long haul up the hill out of the McKay.  Last Evening - 45 min on the stat bike with 7 x 1 min hard and 2 min recovery in between.  Lots of sweating going on.

Followed that up this a.m. with 6 miles in the predawn with Miles 3, 4, and 5 being speed work - run hard for 1 min, walk/jog until fully recovered, go again.  I have to admit that coming off of the bike work the evening before made for some 30 sec and 45 sec hard runs as opposed to the 1 min.  Cripes, my legs are tired.  Tomorrow I get to tortured myself again with the DVD.

This evening is the local memorial for my dad.  . . . . I hope I don't have to say much 'cause I know I won't be able to talk without crying . . .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

moebo

Hello all.

I am sorry to hear about all of the illness and injuries!

Deez, I hope you're okay today.

Econo, giving up on a streak is sometimes for the best. A wise decision.

Holly, that is a perfect dinner for the volleyball team. I bet they are going to love those purple cupcakes.

Leslie, I hope that tonight isn't too hard.

3 miles for me today. Venus was so bright, it looked fake.

tet, nice marathoning.  deez, sorry to hear about the face plant.  I hope you're not feeling too bad and recover quickly.

Nice long runs for ribs and Mike.  Good job on the speedwork for fatozzig.

This morning, it was n the mid 50s and almost calm.  I did 3 miles at an 11:02 pace.

Yesterday, I was thinking about a race I usually do in early Oct but hadn't seen advertised on any of the usual sites this year.  I did an internet search and got a number of hits.  Most were announcements or results from previous years.  I saw that one appeared to be written by a person who had done one of the races.  Out of curiosity, I clicked on it and started reading.  It sounded familiar.  It turns out it was a race report I had submitted on CR when I had run this race in 2007.  Included were the comments that had been made on CR in response to my report.  There were responses from a number of you and some familiar names from the past.  Among them were: roch, Tramps, Dark Horse, SMP (Steve), dtoce, LaT, HuskyDon, Tall, Holly, Jay, MarkGuy, and Twocat.  It was a fun and nostalgic read.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

marj

Yeah, I'm starting to feel like that movie "Groundhog Day," but in a really good way. This has been going on for almost two weeks now and it's getting me exhausted since I have a tendency to want to grab a good-weather day when I see it, knowing that the clouds and rain are usually not far behind. So I've been out there running, walking, and/or biking almost ever day. I'm also trying to get as much as possible in before we leave for our trip on Sunday.

That was a real blast-from-the-past, Tom! I remember those CR days well.

Anyway, even though this was my 5th straight day of either running or biking, I did a full 10 miles for what I think is my 2nd-longest run of the year. I met a friend at a designated spot and we did a 5-mile out-and-back. Then after a short break another friend arrived and we all went out for another 5 miles. Pace varied from mid-9s to mid-10s for most of the way, but I was definitely feeling it at the end.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...yeah, the CR days were a blast/////...........a shame they had to basically KILL the forum for us.......

[[[[fatozzig]]]]]]

==========

PT this morning

now I've got wall-squats added to the mix

Single Leg-

side-step squats

front-step squats

down-step squats

..........when I say ''I Don't Know Squat'' I can Speak with Authority

throwing in

my weight sessions since holly made me remember

I had dropped them post-surgery

..............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks everyone - rest day for me to let my body heal today although I may do some squats after TomW's post!!

denise

deez4boyz you sounded pretty banged up.  I think the exercise phantoms would forgive you if you nixed the squats.

fatozzig it is okay to cry during your dad's memorial.  If you cry giving a eulogy that is okay too.  I burst into tears trying to give my dad's eulogy. It took me a few years to forgive myself for doing so.  But, I missed him so much and it was my body's tribute to that.  Yours would be no less.

I made it to Quebec today.  After waiting in the longest and slowest passport control line of my life I then got further delayed when they asked me what hotel I am staying at and I had no idea!  The Laval faculty was picking me up at the airport, taking me to lunch, campus, dinner and my hotel.  I had no clue as to the address of the business school (somewhere on campus) where we were eating (someplace good I hope) and where I am staying (somewhere Quebec I believe).  Fortunately, I was texting back and forth with the faculty picking me up so I asked him where I was staying, showed the answer to the agent and got through.  Whew!  Turns out there are several runners on the faculty.  Sigh.  I sure wish I was not in couch potato mode right now and could have gone with them.  Bummer.  One guy is a 3:09 marathon runner too!  A lot younger than me, but still that is dang good!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just dropping in to say hi and that I ran 6.1 miles in 48:36.

Okay--that's it--supper is waiting for me--see ya!