Pickens County Y Race Team

Cyclist (Read 176 times)

Have you considered rocking a Rotor or Osymetric chainring? Spotted them on tour. The feedback seems pretty good, but all agree they were weird to get used to, especially the Osym. Thoughts?
    pschriver

Ride more, avoid the gimmicks.

ehunter

My tri bike has a "Rotor" crank...basically just a brand name - no gimmicks - same as any other crank/ringset.  The only thing different about it is that you can change out the chain rings without having to change out the whole crank itself.  For example, my current chain ring is a 54/25 I believe...so if I wanted to go down to a compact crank like a 49/24 or so, all i would have to do is change out the chain ring and not have to buy the whole shabang.  Gives you the opportunity to have different crank set ups without having to have umpteen cranks.

I don't know anything about the Osymetric.

pschriver

My tri bike has a "Rotor" crank...basically just a brand name - no gimmicks - same as any other crank/ringset.  The only thing different about it is that you can change out the chain rings without having to change out the whole crank itself.  For example, my current chain ring is a 54/25 I believe...so if I wanted to go down to a compact crank like a 49/24 or so, all i would have to do is change out the chain ring and not have to buy the whole shabang.  Gives you the opportunity to have different crank set ups without having to have umpteen cranks.

I don't know anything about the Osymetric.

Eric,

I was assuming she meant the Q-Rotor cranks which have an asymmetric chain ring  which is similar to the cam chain ring on the Osymetric. Both of these rings are supposed to smooth out the spin cycle and remove the "dead spot" and there has been different anecdotal claims like more power, easier on the joints ect. I'm kind of a skeptic  on these things. I have bought tons of gimmicks in the past but truly believe the best way to get faster is to train harder.

I just don't think that the cam technology for the front chain ring is holding back anyone's performance. Some of the guys on the Cervelo team who are encouraged to use the Q-rings still use circular rings

ehunter

I agree. They may work, but for the average age grouper, you'll gain just as much just by training hard.

The Q rings are another one of the things that you can switch out on the Rotor, but it'll cost you.

Kinda reminds me of the Power Cranks.  Those things are suppose to be awesome...but sounds like a gimmick.  Lots of people swear by them and even some well regarded pro's endorse them...but again, it'll cost you.

Everyone wants a shortcut! 

pschriver

Cervelo was well represented in the women's Olympic race today. It looks like they all had circular cranks and not the Q rings. FWIW