RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Ultramarathon Training (Read 622 times)

Glad to see last week was better than the week before. Hope to see no failure's and less partial checks in this weeks runs!!
    Thanks, Pam! Me too!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

Mr. Bonkin!!! Your training log is sliding down off the page. Time for an update!
      btb1490

Oh Mr. Bonkin... (tapping fingers patiently on the table, waiting for you to check in....) Hope all is well, Mike.
          Thanks for checking up on me, Bob! The past couple weeks have netted me a couple goose eggs regarding weekly mileage. Two camping trips on consecutive weekends, busy at work. Wah Wah. I got back out there this week and have two runs behind me. Last night was an exercise in brutality. 8+ miles in 95 degree heat. Dude. I normally go through 20oz of water for a run like that. Last night - 40oz of water + 20oz of Gatorade and I still lost 4-5 pounds after the run. Holy crap! It's definitely time to move the runs back to late night or early morning again. This weekend is supposed to approach 100. Owww. I'll definitely be getting up super early for the long run this weekend.

Training Update So I'm so far off the mark regarding the originally planned training schedule, I'm not even going to go through the depressing comparison. On the upside, I've run more this week than I have in 3 1/2 months - so all is not lost. Got in a total of 32 miles with an 11+ mile long run yesterday. Damn it's starting to get hot! Regarding El Scorcho, I'm not sure how close to being in decent enough shape to run a good 50K. If I feel close than that would be great. If not, as we get closer - I'll consider downgrading to the 25K. I've been doing a lot of thinking on where I want my running to go - I think the best two things for me to work on over the summer are 1) be a lot more consistent week to week and 2) build up mileage levels back to the 40-50 neighborhood. For fun, I've been considering starting the Summer of Malmo plan. With this summer heat settling in - moving a chunk of my miles to the mornings makes sense from both a temperature and consistency perspective. Initially, I would just make the tempo run and interval days the double days and then grow it from there. I would also maintain one long run per week. My plan was to start today - but alas I woke up too late. So maybe I'll go for a short run tonight and see about getting up early tomorrow.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Yikes! I don't think I'll be doing any Summer of Malmo plans anytime soon. Tongue You're right - consistency had gotta be top o' that list! How'd you feel last January when you were logging all those miles? Was it a good feeling? Draw on that memory to help pull you forward...

Roads were made for journeys...

btb1490

Hi Mike. Like Wingz said, consistency is key. Whatever plan gets you out the door day to day is the one you should do. If its a 20-30 mpw plan or a 60-70 mpw plan, it doesn't matter. Getting out the door and doing SOMETHING is what matters! Good luck Mike, and don't melt out there!

Future running partner.

For fun, I've been considering starting the Summer of Malmo plan.
                  Some food for thought on the Malmo Plan, Particularly about running doubles read Pfitzinger's "Should You Run Twice Per Day?" The other thing that scares me about that plan is the 200's workout. While building up to your goal mileage I would not run any tempo or interval workouts. I would wait until you reach your goal mileage and are ready to level off. The amount of stress by increasing weekly mileage is already pretty high. For speed I would consider some short stride sessions, that are with no anaerobic effort.
                    Yikes! I don't think I'll be doing any Summer of Malmo plans anytime soon. Tongue You're right - consistency had gotta be top o' that list! How'd you feel last January when you were logging all those miles? Was it a good feeling? Draw on that memory to help pull you forward...
                    Thanks Wingz. It felt great running back then. I was focused on a goal for my February marathon and it was 30 degrees out. Now I have neither. Makes it a bit more difficult. Well, technically, I have a goal for sub-5 hours in the 50K at El Scorcho - but my heart's not in my running right now.

Hi Mike. Like Wingz said, consistency is key. Whatever plan gets you out the door day to day is the one you should do. If its a 20-30 mpw plan or a 60-70 mpw plan, it doesn't matter. Getting out the door and doing SOMETHING is what matters! Good luck Mike, and don't melt out there!
                      Thanks, Bob! I almost melted today. But I jumped in the pool after my run today and that fixed me right up.

Some food for thought on the Malmo Plan, Particularly about running doubles read Pfitzinger's "Should You Run Twice Per Day?" The other thing that scares me about that plan is the 200's workout. While building up to your goal mileage I would not run any tempo or interval workouts. I would wait until you reach your goal mileage and are ready to level off. The amount of stress by increasing weekly mileage is already pretty high. For speed I would consider some short stride sessions, that are with no anaerobic effort.
                        Tom, Yeah - I've read Pfitz' view on doing doubles. I ran my both of my marathons using his training plans. Since last June, I've had good success with doing tempo and interval runs during mileage buildup - so I'm not too worried about it. I'm with you on the 200s, though. Being a Pfitz fan, I always run intervals at 5K pace. If I do the intervals at all - they will likely be more in the 800 neighborhood.

So the weekly update goes something like this: A decent 10K easy run to start off the week - followed by a rest day - then followed by four days of excuse making. I won't bore you with the details. I finally got out there again today and knocked out just shy of 15 miles in 87 degree heat with a big bad wind. I was cooked by the end - but overall - felt pretty good. No promises - but I'm going to try to get to bed early tonight so I can start working on getting my morning runs in. Good luck to everyone in their running this week!

Hopefully next week has fewer excuses.

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

So the weekly update goes something like this: A decent 10K easy run to start off the week - followed by a rest day - then followed by four days of excuse making. I won't bore you with the details. I finally got out there again today and knocked out just shy of 15 miles in 87 degree heat with a big bad wind. I was cooked by the end - but overall - felt pretty good. No promises - but I'm going to try to get to bed early tonight so I can start working on getting my morning runs in. Good luck to everyone in their running this week!
                              *kicks* Mike! Way to get that long run in though!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks, Blaine and Pam! Well, some good news and bad news about me and my Malmo plans. My DW has decided to get off the couch - after a rocky and injury laden attempt to run last fall. She's joined a local gym and is going in the morning before work and someone (me) has to stay home with the kids until she gets back. As this makes both of us happy that she is getting back on the exercise wagon again - it didn't feel right to let her know that would mess up my running plans. So I'm back to my normal schedule of night running with an early Sunday AM long run. Ah well, maybe another time. On another note, while I am a little tight in places (upper body and abs) - my legs feel great after yesterday's run. I am going to use this feeling to try eliminate the excuses this week. Wink