RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Ultramarathon Training (Read 622 times)

My DW has decided to get off the couch - after a rocky and injury laden attempt to run last fall. [...] that would mess up my running plans. So I'm back to my normal schedule of night running with an early Sunday AM long run.
    Sounds like an exchange that is worth making.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Two words for you: running stroller. Tongue 3 miles every day is better than 15 miles one day and nothing else for a week. C'mon, bud! You can stay on that wagon! I believe in you!

Roads were made for journeys...

Two words for you: running stroller. Tongue 3 miles every day is better than 15 miles one day and nothing else for a week. C'mon, bud! You can stay on that wagon! I believe in you!
        Hey, I ran an easy 6 on Monday Big grin Thanks, Janell. I'm with you on the more runs being better - but I'm also trying to get my long run up into the 20's before mid-July. 3 mile runs don't help you finish a 50K like the 20's will. And running stroller - no way - between the kids and the stroller - it would way almost as much as I do. The kiddos are 11 and 8. We've only just started leaving the 11 yo at home alone for short periods - but we don't trust him enough to leave his 8 yo sister with him yet. One more year for that I think.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Sounds like an exchange that is worth making.
          I agree. She did some complaining when we woke up - but then she went and did her thing on the elliptical. It's good to see since she's been on exercise hiatus for 8 months.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, I ran an easy 6 on Monday Big grin Thanks, Janell. I'm with you on the more runs being better - but I'm also trying to get my long run up into the 20's before mid-July. 3 mile runs don't help you finish a 50K like the 20's will. And running stroller - no way - between the kids and the stroller - it would way almost as much as I do. The kiddos are 11 and 8. We've only just started leaving the 11 yo at home alone for short periods - but we don't trust him enough to leave his 8 yo sister with him yet. One more year for that I think.
            Okay, no stroller for them. Bikes. Preferably with leashes. Tongue

Okay, no stroller for them. Bikes. Preferably with leashes. Tongue
              Hehe. Sounds like a plan for the leashes. DW may not approve. Wink

T-5 Weeks until the El Scorcho 50K Finally, a decent week of training. 44+ miles against a planned 43. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. Yeah, fuck you Mr. 10% rule! Just working on getting my mileage up mainly, with a tempo run and a 17 mile long run. I ended up running some intervals of 3 minutes hard and 3 minutes easy instead of the tempo run and 18 miles vs. the 17 miles. I think I am slowly starting to get acclimated to the heat. Got up at 3:15 this morning to beat the heat - and with a little procrastination (my specialty) I ended up getting out the door at 4:40. I was worried about convenience stores not being open yet, so I put a cooler in the back of the truck stocked with water and gatorade and set off on my merry way. I guess not to many people run that early or something happened last night, because a cop passed me in the first couple miles of the first loop. I saw him turn around and come back towards me slowly. He was looking over at me and after I gave him a wave he sped back up and went on his way. Another interesting note was that in the 5 1/2 years I've lived in Mansfield I've never seen a homeless person here. That record was broken this morning. As I refilled my water bottle in the park, I noticed a homeless old man sleeping on a nearby park bench. Ended up turning it into a progressive long run - which I always enjoy. A quick jump into the pool and when I got back inside - everyone was waiting with Father's Day presents and cards. I'm going to have to rearrange the schedule again to accommodate another boy scout camping trip next weekend. It's too hard to fit in a 20 miler while tent camping. Now that I've got this 18 miler out of the way, I'm a lot less stressed out about being able to finish the 50K. I think one or two more decent long run between now and then - and I'll be fine. I doubt if I'll be able to go sub 5 like I was originally planning, but still feel like I'll be in PR shape again by then. Hope everyone had a great week of running!

Wingz

Professional Noob

Sounds great! Nice consistancy this week, Mike. {/boggling about getting up at 3:15}

Sounds great! Nice consistancy this week, Mike. {/boggling about getting up at 3:15}
                    Thanks, Janell. Yeah, 3:15 was tough - thus the procrastination. I think this is the earliest I've gotten up ever - like my whole life ever. I really enjoyed the mid 70's temps though - so I may start doing something like this for all my long runs.

Future running partner.

GOOD STUFF MAN!!! I was proud of my run today, but you are definately in fuego! Cool
                        GOOD STUFF MAN!!! I was proud of my run today, but you are definately in fuego! Cool
                        Thanks, Tom! Definitely feeling like I'm getting back in shape!

btb1490

Great week, and a nice Father's Day, Mike! Not bad for a procrastinator! Wink For next weekend, I think the boy scouts need to run a 20 miler with you... Big grin
                            Thanks, Bob. I may not get a 20 miler in, but a 10-12 mile is planned for Saturday. A couple of the boys are on their schools XC team - so I may get at least a short run in with them Sunday morning.

Prophet!

en fuego indeed Bonkers. You are definitely rounding into shape while I'm trying very hard to unround myself.
                                en fuego indeed Bonkers. You are definitely rounding into shape while I'm trying very hard to unround myself.
                                Dude, are you calling me fat? Wink Thanks - and BTW nice HM you stealth ran this weekend!