RA Coaching Forum

Jeffgoblue's Training Journal (Read 686 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok, week 1 of 24 down. 21.7 miles 3h24m nice easy average pace of 9:24 in 6 total runs. I was hoping for 30 miles. Left about 7 miles on the treadmill, which I've been having a lot of trouble with. Need to just make it happen outdoors, even if it means turning every run at home into hill repeats in front of my house. Trying to hit at least 30 for Week 2 this week. Nothing but easy. Strides don't come in until week 4-6.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Oh Mighty Wing

Great job!!! Keep up the good work!

Bugs

Happy Birthday!

Bugs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Week 2 of the 24 week cycle is done. 36.2 miles (up from 21.7 the previous week -- I'm a big fan of the 67% Rule). More of the same coming for this week -- nothin' but easy miles. Would like to be above 40 for this coming week, but it will be a busy one, so we'll see. Strides start in week 4. Phase II (Early quality) begins in Week 7, with the first quality workouts of any kind. At the end of that week, I may run a "Rudolph Run" 5k on 12/20. This will be a good benchmark for setting my paces for subsequent training. My old nemesis, the right hamstring, has been acting up a bit. Hopefully, the strides will help work out some kinks, but I should probably do some strength and flexibility. But I've been saying that for years -- it probably won't happen.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Future running partner.

Be careful with those strides, they can aggravate that hamstring even more. May some uphill running instead.

Oh Mighty Wing

you are doing so well! Be careful with your hamstring... don't let your arch nemisis foil your plans!
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Be careful with those strides, they can aggravate that hamstring even more. May some uphill running instead.
                I'm probably gonna be doing a little more running at home (as opposed to work lunchtime), and that means rolling hills, so that may help me out. Easy runs won't be quite as easy as I'd like, and I don't like the pounding on the downhills, but overall, it should help.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

More of the same coming for this week -- nothin' but easy miles. Would like to be above 40 for this coming week, but it will be a busy one, so we'll see.
                  Actually, I'm really more thinking in terms of time. 5h30m running last week, would like to get above 6h this week (though it's already looking a little tight -- couldn't run Mon, gonna have to try to squeeze one in tonight, and a work luncheon tomorrow guarantees no lunch run tomorrow). Time to HTFU and get it done.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Week 3 of 24+ is in the books. Rather disappointing, but not surprising. 20.7 miles, 3h24m running. I knew this was gonna be a bad week -- month end for my work was this past Friday, so it was a very busy week. Lucky to have a 10-mile Saturday to save the day, but 20-mile weeks will not cut it if I wanna be fast again. I sensing a big week coming up. If I get at least 32 miles in my Mon~Sat week, I'll equal my biggest running month for the year. In terms of hours, I'd like this to be a 6~7 hour week so that I can get used to the averaging 1 hour per day thing. As I mentioned before, the plan is to add some strides starting this week. I am still worried about the hammy, but if I'm smart about it (no strides until a good warm-up, and not too fast), I think the strides will actually help me -- it's important to get the neuromuscular system used to running fast, even if for only short bursts.

Future running partner.

You probably already know this but given your hammy situation I feel compelled to write. If your hammy is only a little sore, I think the strides are ok. You may want to try running them after completing your run. Do them in 50-60 meter bursts. Only run as fast as you can before you start to feel your hammy pull. Also make sure you are focusing on running with your best form and not on effort. Between them use a brisk walk or a very slow jog to recover and let yourself recover completely. I've recently come to realize just how important these things are when doing base training.
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You probably already know this but given your hammy situation I feel compelled to write. If your hammy is only a little sore, I think the strides are ok. You may want to try running them after completing your run. Do them in 50-60 meter bursts. Only run as fast as you can before you start to feel your hammy pull. Also make sure you are focusing on running with your best form and not on effort. Between them use a brisk walk or a very slow jog to recover and let yourself recover completely. I've recently come to realize just how important these things are when doing base training.
                        Good advice. Yes, my hammy is only a little sore. I didn't attempt any today because it was raining hard, and I figured that last thing in the world I needed was to slip and fall. I've never been one to do strides post-run, but I'll give that a shot.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, I did 6x100m strides after my run today, Wannabefast. Apparently, 100m is the shortest interval you set on the Garmin. And I am too much of a freak to not Garminize it. Right hamstring was a little tight, but not enough to affect my form. Nevertheless, I'm gonna need to do some more hills and do some careful post-run stretching.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

4 weeks of 24 down. Still not enough miles, but the miles I have been doing have been getting easier. Still, November was my 2nd biggest month of the year so far (107 mi), so it's heading in the right direction. Need to get up to a little over 160 miles for December because a) I need more miles and b) It's gonna take 161.6 to get me to 1000. This should have been an easy goal to reach, but my sluglike behavior since July~mid Oct has made it a bit of a race. 5.2 miles a day for the next 31 will do it. Week 5 here is just more easy base with strides, as is week 6. Looking ahead, Week 7 will be interesting. There are 2 quality workouts planned 1) 200 and 400m reps will full recovery for work on running mechanics and 2) a tempo workout. The end of that week will also be a "Rudolph Run" 5k. How this week goes will determine whether I focus on more base (extend the current phase), or stick to the schedule (Daniels 5k~15k).

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok, minor setback. I had planned to run a 5k on 12/20. So last Friday, 12/12, I figured I'd do a tempo run, since I'd been doing nothing but easy miles. Having not run any quality in a long time, I didn't have a good idea of how to pace my run (and I'm kind of a dork about running my 20 minutes tempos at LT), so I aimed for a HR of 88-92%of max, and didn't pay any attention to pace. I settled in to a nice rhythm, and was feeling pretty good, but I could feel my left calf starting to tighten. I'm usually good at sensing when something is gonna be bad, so I shut it down after about 8 minutes up-tempo, so a little less than half-way through the planned 20min. After a little super-easy jogging, I settled back in to a standard easy pace. Saw a car stranded in the center lane of the road I was on. Along with one of the passengers, I helped push the car to a side street. During this act, my calf cramped hard. I don't know whether to call it a cramp or a strain, but it's still a little sore now, three days later. So, time to ease up on the pace, and focus on getting healthy. The prescription -- more miles. I need to be at a higher mileage level before doing any quality. I'd still like to race a 2-miler on Feb 15, and in order to do that, I'll need much more than 20mpw under my belt. One good thing about the little tempo segment was that it suggests that I'm faster than I was earlier this year. The 8 minutes were at about 6:23/mi pace, which is about 20sec/mile faster than my threshold pace in the early part of 2008. So I've made progress. Disappointed to not be racing this weekend, because I really have the itch, and I'm pretty sure I could get under 19:00 for 5k. But there are times to HTFU, and there are times to be smart. This is one of those "smart" times.

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Disappointed to not be racing this weekend, because I really have the itch, and I'm pretty sure I could get under 19:00 for 5k. But there are times to HTFU, and there are times to be smart. This is one of those "smart" times.
                                Congratulations on being smart! I'm probably not experienced enough to be giving advice, but I think the rest is the best perscription. How is your potassium and other nutrient intake? Leg cramps sometimes came for me when I'm down on potassium or dehydrated. Chris

Chris
                                PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k