RA Coaching Forum

btb's running log (Read 1123 times)

btb1490

Last night I decided to hook up with a group of triathletes and joined them for their swim in a nearby lake. What an eyeopener that was! Man was I sucking wind and wheezing trying to keep up. I've forgotten how much of a benefit you can get while drafting someone in the water. That was the only thing that kept me in contact with them. I attached a virtual bungie cord to one of them and killed myself to keep up. This lake is bigger than the one I swim in near my house, it's about 3/4 of a mile across. The entire way out, I kept thinking "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" As we got to the other side finally, then I really started freaking out "Holy crap, we still have to go BACK!" It did feel good to be out there though, especially when we were done! Wink Vinny my PT wants me to try doing something this weekend to test my foot, so I'm gonna try a bike ride in the AM. It's been feeling better, but then again, I have really been babying it. So we'll see...
      WAY TO GO with your cross training Bob!! Just imagine how much stronger you'll be once you get back to running! Hope the test for you foot goes well!! I have a feeling you'll be back sooner than you think!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hey Bob, how did the bike ride go this weekend? Or did you try it? Hope things are progressing positively for your foot.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

Hey Bob, how did the bike ride go this weekend? Or did you try it? Hope things are progressing positively for your foot.
          Sad Not so good, Mike. Thanks for asking. I am really missing my running...
            Ughhhhhh I was really hoping to hear the exact opposite Sad lots of (((((HUGS)))))) I can't even imagine how your feeling not being able to run! I know that despite how sucky it is to not be able to run, we'll be hearing some good things from you! That's one of the GREAT things about you!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Yeah. I'm very sorry to hear it as well Bob. Like Pam, I was expecting/hoping to hear the opposite too. Well - hopefully, since the swimming is going okay for you - it will remain something good for you to keep in shape with - assuming you have an indoor place to move it to when winter comes. Doesn't sound like that wetsuit will be good enough for a NY winter.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Katie H

Chicago winter running

Hey Bob! Finally got on here to read up on you. I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend passing away Sad That's so sad but wonderful that he was such a positive person and that so many came out to remember him. Also, I'm super impressed with your swimming! Good for you for cross-training so much although I'm sorry to hear that the bike ride didn't turn out as we all hoped it would. Your early morning swim sounds eerie and beautiful- that was a good idea to swim with the triathaletes too. Other people always help my motivation. The boot's not bad! At least it makes you look hardcore. Any more painful procedures on the horizon (couldn't believe it when I read about the hole in your tendon!)- yeesh! Anyhow, so sorry about missing running. My sympathy definitely goes out to you- keep fightin the good fight and keep us updated. Oh, and don't worry- unlike a horse, they won't put you down or out to pasture Wink Also, Mike- love the Jack Handy quote- ha ha!
                We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.
                btb1490

Hi Katie! Thanks for dropping in and for the nice comments, especially about them not putting me out to pasture! Wink BTW, what the heck are you doing in your avatar? No changes with the injury. I must admit, I'm getting a little worried. Still keeping up with the PT stuff. Next week I have a followup with my orthopedist. I swam with a group of triathletes on Tuesday after work. Dummy me, I went to the gym at lunchtime that day and did upper body stuff, so needless to say, I got my butt kicked in the water. We made plans to swim again on Thursday evening. The weather was kinda icky, but I went anyway, and nobody else showed up. I thought these guys were supposed to be hardcore! They've been razzing me about coming out of retirement to do another triathlon. I told them I didn't want an old man to show them all up, so they really started talking trash then. Most of these kids are in their 20's and early 30's. So today, I signed up for the Timberman Half Ironman in New Hampshire in August. Most of them are doing it as well. They are all toast, that's all I can say! hehehe It'll be fun whipping the pants off of people half my age! Big grin
                    Sorry to hear there's been no "real" changes that you've noticed Sad But I am SOOOOOOOOOOO excited to hear about you signing up for the half iron man!!! WAY COOL! So glad to see your keeping up with your cross training! Hope you have an enjoyable weekend Bob! Hopefully your appointment at the Ortho goes better than your expecting!

btb1490

Had my ortho appointment today. Not much to report. Just keep doing what I'm doing... wear the boot as much as possible, keep up with the PT, ice ice ice. I've been taking Aleve for 6 weeks now, I was told to stop that due to ulcer potential. On the days that I don't have a PT appointment, I do the same routine on myself at home. The worst is the deep tissue massage, that really kills the tendon. You can feel the roughness in there. While my PT Vinny was digging into it yesterday, he remarked "Man you have a lot of garbage still in there to be worked out." Nice. While I was massaging it myself on Monday, I started to cry, partly due to how much it hurt, and partly just out of frustration. Today my ortho guy John said, "You really f**ing pissed off that tendon in there!" Nice again. I'm going for an MRI just to see if anything out of the ordinary shows up, like a tear. Not that the treatment will change any, but it'll be nice to know exactly what is in there. It's really just being patient and behaving at this point. In the meantime, I'm still able to swim in the lakes. It's chilly, but still doable thanks to the unusually warm weather we've been having.
                        (((((((HUGS)))))))))! I've been thinking alot about you this week!! I'm going to ROCK Steamtown JUST for you and maybe a little for myself! Good luck with the MRI!! You have AMAZING INNER STRENGTH!! As much as I wish it would cool down, if it helps you get more swimming in which in turns helps with your recovery then I'll deal with it!

btb1490

Geez Pam, that was very nice of you to say that stuff! Thank you! You need the cooler weather more than I do though, you've worked too hard for this race to have warm weather put a damper on things. You will rock Steamtown regardless! I swam early this AM with a couple of heavy duty triathlon guys. One of them won his age group out in Hawaii a few years back. It was a very humbling experience... talk about getting your doors blown off! It's good to get your butt kicked like that once in a while, it keep you focused and determined to get better.
                            Well dang Bob... just dang!!! I was hoping to get some better news when I finally got a chance to check your blog. You know what you need to do? Take a few days and come stay with us for a while... I can take you to some of my favorite nacho/beer hangouts- that will surely help with that frustration. Hang in there my friend and let me know if there is anything I can do.
                            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                              Geez Pam, that was very nice of you to say that stuff! Thank you! You need the cooler weather more than I do though, you've worked too hard for this race to have warm weather put a damper on things. You will rock Steamtown regardless! I swam early this AM with a couple of heavy duty triathlon guys. One of them won his age group out in Hawaii a few years back. It was a very humbling experience... talk about getting your doors blown off! It's good to get your butt kicked like that once in a while, it keep you focused and determined to get better.
                              Didn't say anything that wasn't true! Your right, I've worked way too hard to let ANYTHING even this crick in my neck I got during the night put a damper on Steamtown! So I will just HTFU and ROCK THAT RACE!! VERY COOL that you get to that cross train with the kind of athlete's that you do! Nothing to help your focus and determination than getting your butt kicked once in awhile! Only butt I've been kicking is my own lol.

btb1490

Well dang Bob... just dang!!! I was hoping to get some better news when I finally got a chance to check your blog. You know what you need to do? Take a few days and come stay with us for a while... I can take you to some of my favorite nacho/beer hangouts- that will surely help with that frustration. Hang in there my friend and let me know if there is anything I can do.
                                Mmmm, nachos!!!! Boy does that sound great! Actually, in your honor, I had some on Tuesday for lunch! Thanks for the offer, Alan. I would rather celebrate a plate of nachos with you at our next marathon get together, to celebrate AFTER the race! Wink You can do something for me actually. Keep hammering away and kick some butt in your upcoming marathon! Thank you for checking in.