RA Coaching Forum

btb's running log (Read 1123 times)

Katie H

Chicago winter running

Hi Bob! Sorry to hear all the comments form people who work on your tendon Sad That must be so frustrating but it really sounds like you're dealing with it well. Not that you have to! But sounds like you're using all the lessons you've learned in life to cope very well with this. And awesome about the Half Ironman! Must be nice to have something on the horizon to think about- you'll totally kill those guys- ha ha ha (evil laugh). Oh- my avatar... My favorite thing is to try to get a picture where I'm jumping in the air- I've got pictures from all over my travels of me jumping in the air in front of stuff. Its not so much the picture but trying to get th epicture that makes it really fun. Good luck Bob- you're doing great and keep up the patience and good work.
    We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.
      They've been razzing me about coming out of retirement to do another triathlon. So today, I signed up for the Timberman Half Ironman in New Hampshire in August. Most of them are doing it as well. They are all toast, that's all I can say! hehehe It'll be fun whipping the pants off of people half my age! Big grin
      Hmmmm.... don't know what my plans are for next year yet but....... New Hampshire huh?
      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
      btb1490

Hmmmm.... don't know what my plans are for next year yet but....... New Hampshire huh?
        Alan, that would be pretty cool if you could do it! Fly into Long Island and we can drive up together. The area is just beautiful there. A bunch of people from here are going, we're gonna all book into the same place to stay right on the lake. It would be a lot of fun! http://www.timbermantri.com/timber703.html The race will fill up shortly, so it's now or never!
        btb1490

The last hurrah... Took my last swim in the lake this morning. It was dark and rainy and chilly, about 60*. The two guys I were supposed to meet were no shows. I don't blame them. Initially the water felt ok getting in because it was a little warmer than the air, but once I dove in fully and started swimming, it took your breath away at first, and stung my face. Once you got going, it was bearable. I was probably taking a bit of a chance being out there on my own given the chilly temps, but as long as the arms were able to keep turning over, and as long as I could keep doing the multiplication table in my head, I knew it was ok. Even though it was dark and foggy and rainy, it was still very beautiful out there. The water was like glass and crystal clear. It was cool seeing bubbles from the underlying springs appear from the dark depths, slowly zig zagging their way to the surface. I paused out in the middle a few times to look around for the last time this year. Even though it was darkish and murky out, you could still make out the beautiful fall colors in the trees surrounding the lake. The only sound I could hear was the rippling sound made by me treading water. Very peaceful, very relaxing, even if it was cold. Spent the next couple of hours drinking hot tea, trying to ward off the goosebumps from the deep down chill. Sounds crazy, but it was a great way to end swimming for the season. I called for my MRI results today. They didn't show anything that wasn't already known. A lot of irritation to the tendon and surrounding sheathing, and a lot of fluid buildup in the area. The ortho said with 90% certainty that there wasn't a tear. But things are still pretty irritated and will probably still take a while to heal. I'm signed up for Disney in January, that's looking pretty bleak right now. After that, I made plans to run Boston with a friend from Seattle. He's been trying to break 3 hours in the marathon since forever, and fell just short again this past weekend in Portland, and swore he was giving up after that. I talked him into giving it another shot in Boston where we would run it together and he agreed, so I was happy about that. My final PT visit is tomorrow. With all the PT I had had the beginning of the year for my knee, and now my ankle, I've maxed out my insurance. Vinny said not to worry about it, just keep coming, but I can do all that stuff to myself at home since I have the equipment, so that's what I'll do instead of mooching off Vinny. It was awesome of him to offer though. Last swim, last PT visit, last ortho visit coming up. Seems appropriate to make this the last log entry. All things go. When things are better and I actually have some training to report, perhaps I'll start another log then. In the meantime, thanks everyone for your awesome support and kind words. You guys are the best! Keep running and keep enjoying that ability to do so!
            WOW! I'm sad that this will be your last post on your blog for awhile, but I know you have to do what you have to do. You have been such a help to me this summer!! It really helps when you know there's someone paying attention and caring about how things are going during marathon training! I will be patiently waiting for you to start your blog for your next race! Your in my thoughts and I'm wishing your recovery to go well and hopefully faster then you expect.Good luck with your recovery! I ended up doing the same thing your doing with my neck injury. Your friend in Seattle is lucky to have you as a friend (btw I'm from Seattle originally). Can't wait for your training to start for Boston. Thinking of doing it in 2009 as well? Cause you know I'm going to qualify next year!! Anyway take care!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Aww, Bob. It won't be the same around here without you, but I totally understand. I hope that all goes well with your self-administered treatments. If you have any remaining issues - at least your insurance should kick back in after December. Like Pam said, you've been a fantastic help and I really appreciate it. Best of luck in your recovery and I hope you are back to running for Boston!!!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

I wanted to pop in and tell you all about my trip into NY City to help out at the Olympic Trials. Sorry, it's pretty long! I know you probably just want to hear about the trials, but I'm gonna tell you about the whole trip anyway! Tongue Not being a city person, I'm always anxious when I travel into NY City, which luckily isn't too often. Fear (usually unfounded) of the unknown I guess. I caught the train into Flatbush, Brooklyn Friday afternoon after work. From there I took the subway into lower Manhattan. I was sharing a hotel on the west side with a running friend who came in from Philly to do the race. I got to the hotel by 7:30, feeling quite proud of myself for not getting lost and not having to ask for directions. Passing by the World Trade Center site, I payed my respects. You cannot go by there without getting emotional. Thanks to the recommendation from my coworkers, we went to a nearby Irish Pub called Moran's for a bite to eat and a beer. Great place! We were able to walk there by following the park paths along the water. What a nice view, the moon was out and you could see the Statue of Liberty and the Verrazano bridge easily. It was an early night for me since I was planning on getting up at 4am the next morning. Alarm goes off at 4am and I was out the door by 4:30am as planned. I had get to 72nd Street and Central Park West by 5am for the volunteer meeting. I had the route all planned out... walk to the Chamber Street subway station and Take the "C" subway line right to my destination. It was foolproof! Ha! Feeling a little creeped out walking around the city at that hour, I got to the subway station in record time, only to find that the line was shut down for the weekend! Crap! Unfortunately I had no plan "B" in place. The signs recommendation was to go to west 4th street and catch the subway there. My best guess is that it was a bit over a mile away, so I started hoofing it as fast as I could. Luckily the weather was cooperating, tropical storm Noel was brewing offshore but all we got in the city was a lot of wind and cold temps. No rain! Yay! Down in southern Manhattan, the streets have "real" names instead of numbers like in midtown and above. So you really don't have a nice grid of streets to work with. I finally came across Broadway and knew that would put me close to where I wanted to go, so I started following that. Boy was I making good time! After about 15 minutes of walk/jogging, I notices a large, mostly glass, fully illuminated building up ahead. As I got closer to it, I saw in very large neon letters "Staten Island Ferry". Holy crap, I've been going in the wrong direction! Now it's 4:50am. I see a sign for a subway stop, and a quick check of my map showed that it went close to where I needed to be. But at the same moment, I spotted a cab, and opted for that. It cost me $20, but I got there with piece of mind, just a little late. I was hoping to get there early and find a place for a bagel and coffee first, but that didn't work out. Luckily, the NY Roadrunners take good care of their volunteers and they provided us with coffee and snacks and these incredible turkey and cheese panini sandwiches. FYI, here's a map of the NY City subways. You try to figure it out! Tongue There were 100's of volunteers there, which is pretty cool given the early hour and the threat of bad weather. After signing in, you waited to have your name called, and you were assigned to a group. I lucked out. My group consisted of 9 people, and our assignment was to patrol the course between 75th and 80th streets on the west side, which was just up the road a bit. Some groups had to go to posts that were almost 2 miles away. Our job was to fan out and keep the course clear of wandering spectators. There was one crosswalk in this section where spectators were allowed to cross and I volunteered to take on that duty along with a young woman who joined me. The race course started outside of Central Park in front of St. Patrick's Cathedral, and entered the park after about 1 mile. Once in the park, the runners first did a 4 mile loop followed by four 5 mile loops. Where we were stationed worked out to be miles 2.5, 6.5, 11.5, 16.5 and 21.5. We got to see them pass 5 times which was cool. Of course on the first pass, everyone was together. All you heard were footsteps, breathing, and felt a rush of wind as they all flew past. Each successive lap spread the field out more and more. Since it was a loop course, many spectators would flock to the west side of the park where we were, watch the leaders pass by, then run to the east side, watch them there, and repeat. So you'd have 1000's of spectators, followed by almost none, again and again. When they passed by for mile 16.5, it was down to just a handfull of contenders, with many of the favorites still together. What happened between mile 16.5 and mile 21.5 just blew my mind. All of a sudden, here comes Ryan Hall. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. Finally Ritz comes by, then Dan Browne, Brian Sell, Khalid, Meb... all spread out. All heck broke out during those 5 miles. I was rooting for Dan Browne to make it, but later found out that he faded the last few miles. It was about halfway through the race that I started hearing rumors of Ryan Shay. I discounted them as rumors. Ryan was the guy I picked to win. I had been following his progress this year, and admired him not only for his athletic abilities, but also for his personal character. But I heard from more and more reliable sources that the rumors were not rumors. It really cast a sad tone to the rest of the race. Volunteering was great. The spectators were very cooperative. I only had to stop one person, a woman who had been running through the inner roads of the park was trying to exit, and she ran right out into the road without looking or stopping. The leaders were approaching and the lead motorcycle was about to pass us. I grabbed her by the arm and yanked her back. At first she was startled and angry, but then saw the motorcycle and thanked me and went on her merry way. Her iPod was blasting, I suspect that had something to do with this. There would've been a collision for sure. On the final lap we were waiting for the stragglers to pass by. Stragglers HA! Even the last few runners would finish in under 2:30! One of the runners was walking. Another runner came up behind him and patted him on the back and said "Come on, let's finish this thing up together". That was awesome! After the last runner passed, my co-volunteer and I headed back to 72nd street where we all first met up. She was a really nice girl who works with inner city youth kids, and is running her first marathon in Philly in a couple of weeks and was so excited and nervous about that. We've all been there! I wanted to know how her race turns out so we exchanged email addresses and parted ways. After returning to the hotel, I got into my run stuff and headed out for a run. Thanks to a tip from my new friend, I found the Greenway Trail that literally circles the outer edge of Manhattan and ran on that. I'm not much of a city person, but this was pretty cool to have this resource in a huge city, much like Chicago and the lakefront trail. Then it was back to the hotel for a quick shower and off to the expo just to see what that was like. I was pleasantly surprised at how well organized and relatively uncrowded it was. After experiencing the likes of Boston, Chicago and Marine Corps expos, I was expecting the same here, but it wasn't bad at all. It was a lot more spread out than the other expos, giving you room to actually walk around. I made sure I grabbed a lot of freebies, and also checked out booths for future marathon possibilities. Right now Iceland is looking good! Finally it was off to Times Square to meet friend for dinner. Had a great meal and great conversation at Tony di Napolis. Then is was back to Penn Station for the trainride back to home sweet home! NY City is a neat place to visit, but.... Thanks for reading! Here is a blurry shot I got of Ryan Hall passing by at the 21.5 mile mark of the race.
                  Sounds like you had an AWESOME weekend despite heading the wrong way Saturday Morning. I TOO was rooting for Dan Browne to catch up and make it in top 3. What a suprise that would have been. Such a shock about Ryan Shay Sad Such a loss of talent and person! Thanks for weekend report! Cool picture!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I wanted to pop in and tell you all about my trip into NY City to help out at the Olympic Trials. Sorry, it's pretty long! I know you probably just want to hear about the trials, but I'm gonna tell you about the whole trip anyway! Tongue
                    Thanks, Bob! That was an awesome report - and in this forum there is no such thing as a long post! I think you should cross (or re) post this out in the general forums. It's always interesting to me to see the "other side" of a race - especially one as important as that one. Thanks, again.

DITTO what Mike said!

Katie H

Chicago winter running

great race report Bob! They way you write sucks me in to your story so I agree that its not long at all! So sad about Ryan Shay Sad Awesome picture of Ryan Hall- he is crazy talented. Hope you start logging again when you feel back to running shape. Iceland, huh? Count me out! Smile
                        We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.

Prophet!

took a peek at your log Smile awesome running the past few weeks... i'm gonna try to duplicate your consistency although not the mileage...yet Smile
                          btb1490

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with training... From my run in upstate NY over the weekend. I pretty much followed a route that a 10k race held there follows. It heads out of town along a river, crosses a covered bridge, then heads back to town on the other side of the river. Welcome to Delhi A neat house in town. How'd you like to climb those steps at the end of every run? Sheep and some alpacas (I think!) This hill climed 500' in just under a mile. The picture doesn't do it justice. The bridge you cross to get to the other side of the river, before heading back to town. Funny sign on the bridge. Looking back at the bridge after crossing it, heading back to town on the other side of the river. Along the river, heading back to town. Neat little farmhouse on a hill. Love the front porch. I thought one day I would like to buy this house and live here. A neat barn. Still heading back to town. A nice peaceful road to run on. Someone's garden in front of an old barn. The local high school track. That would make a nice backdrop for your workouts.

Future running partner.

Awesome pics! This has everything todo with training, there isn't a much better reason to go out and run. Wink
                                As usual, those are some awesome pictures, Bob. You sure have a knack for taking some great pictures in great places! I really liked that sign on the bridge - and that 500' hill sounds tough to run!