RA Coaching Forum

btb's running log (Read 1123 times)

btb1490

You make me wish I was out there running that run with you! Of course if I had, I'd be in the hospital recovering from trying to kill myself by running way too fast. Way to start off a new week! Nice job Bob!!
    Thank you Pam! Hey, if you ever have an opportunity to venture out this way, I'd be happy to give you a running tour, at whatever pace you want. The hospitals out here are questionable, so we'll try to avoid them!
      Thank you Pam! Hey, if you ever have an opportunity to venture out this way, I'd be happy to give you a running tour, at whatever pace you want. The hospitals out here are questionable, so we'll try to avoid them!
      Well I'll have to take you up on that offer some day!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

Unscheduled day off... The injury bug has bitten. On yesterday's run, a sharp pain suddenly came on on my left foot. It was along the tendons on top of the foot and extended upward into my shin. As the run went on, it settled down a bit, but during the day it got progressively worse and by the evening I could barely walk on it. After icing it all day, taking Aleve, and giving it an ultrasound treatment last night, it is about 80% better this AM. Walked the dog a couple of miles this AM, and that irritated it a little. I suspect in another day or two it'll be ok. So I dusted off the bike and biked into work this AM. Biking is a great way to strengthen those lower legs, and I've gotten away from biking lately. Not sure what brought this on. Perhaps lingering effects from the 5k on Sunday? Walking a lot in soft sand afterwards on the beach? I did some exercises on the wobble board on Monday, I hadn't done those in a while, so maybe that contributed? I walk around in flip flops most of the day, I'm sure that doesn't help. Anyway, this too will pass. A lesson to all... this marathon training is hard on the body. Basic preventive maintenance goes a long way to staying injury free. Stay healthy everyone!
          Sorry about the foot Bob. Hope it is nothing serious and you are back out there quickly!
          http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
          btb1490

Sorry about the foot Bob. Hope it is nothing serious and you are back out there quickly!
            Thanks Alan! Smile I'm sure it'll be good to go soon. Unlike you, I have nothing to show for it. It's not purple and swollen and bent like your toe is! Wink I'm glad to hear that you are back at it again. You gotta start wearing those steel toed workboots when playing with Glenn!
              That sucks to hear about the injury, Bob. Hope you have a speedy recovery. I find it strange that you mention preventative maintenance but think the wobble board may have contributed to the injury? I just got one of those wobble boards hoping it would be good for PM (ankle strength, balance, etc). Have you had problems with it before or are you thinking maybe you just over worked the muscles/tendons?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

That sucks to hear about the injury, Bob. Hope you have a speedy recovery. I find it strange that you mention preventative maintenance but think the wobble board may have contributed to the injury? I just got one of those wobble boards hoping it would be good for PM (ankle strength, balance, etc). Have you had problems with it before or are you thinking maybe you just over worked the muscles/tendons?
                Mike, the wobble board is great for ankle and lower leg strength. Keep it up, but like anything, moderation is the key. I laid off the wobble board exercises for a while, then instead of breaking back into it slowly, I tried to pick up where I left off. Combine that with all the other stuff I did the past few days, and yes, I think it was a contributing factor, but certainly not the sole factor. Up till now, I've never had a problem due to the wobble board. As an aside, here's a great running specific workout to do on the wobble board. Take a set of 5lb dumbbells in each hand, stand on the wobble board, then swing your arms back and forth in an exaggerated running motion and try to balance while doing that. You work out your arms, your core (as you try to stabilize yourself) and your lower legs. Do that for 3 sets of 30 seconds, and work your way up to 3 sets of one minute.
                  I gotcha. Thanks for the info and workout - I will give it a try the next time I give it a go. My only time on it so far has just been trying to balance for as long as I can while playing Guitar Hero. Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Unscheduled day off... The injury bug has bitten. On yesterday's run, a sharp pain suddenly came on on my left foot. It was along the tendons on top of the foot and extended upward into my shin. As the run went on, it settled down a bit, but during the day it got progressively worse and by the evening I could barely walk on it. After icing it all day, taking Aleve, and giving it an ultrasound treatment last night, it is about 80% better this AM. Walked the dog a couple of miles this AM, and that irritated it a little. I suspect in another day or two it'll be ok. So I dusted off the bike and biked into work this AM. Biking is a great way to strengthen those lower legs, and I've gotten away from biking lately. Not sure what brought this on. Perhaps lingering effects from the 5k on Sunday? Walking a lot in soft sand afterwards on the beach? I did some exercises on the wobble board on Monday, I hadn't done those in a while, so maybe that contributed? I walk around in flip flops most of the day, I'm sure that doesn't help. Anyway, this too will pass. A lesson to all... this marathon training is hard on the body. Basic preventive maintenance goes a long way to staying injury free. Stay healthy everyone!
                    ((((HUGS)))))! Enjoy your unscheduled day off if you can!! Hope it heals ASAP and yes basic preventitive maintenance does go a long way that is if we can manage to stay on top of it!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

((((HUGS)))))! Enjoy your unscheduled day off if you can!! Hope it heals ASAP and yes basic preventitive maintenance does go a long way that is if we can manage to stay on top of it!
                      Thanks Pam! It had better heal soon, or you'll be kicking my butt at Steamtown! Any words of wisdom from you on helping this thing along? I know you are dealing with your own ankle, foot, lower leg issues too.
                        Thanks Pam! It had better heal soon, or you'll be kicking my butt at Steamtown! Any words of wisdom from you on helping this thing along? I know you are dealing with your own ankle, foot, lower leg issues too.
                        ICE, STRETCH & STRENGTHEN!! You can always wrap it for a bit too.

btb1490

ICE, STRETCH & STRENGTHEN!! You can always wrap it for a bit too.
                          Will do, coach! Thanks! Smile
                          btb1490

Been icing all day, doing some cross friction massage on it, took some Aleve this AM. Went for a nice long walk at lunchtime (ok, maybe I jogged just a little when crossing the street) and it felt pretty good, maybe 95% ok. I'll keep doing more of the same the rest of the day, hit it with ultrasound again tonight, keep up the Aleve and see how it goes in the AM tomorrow. The schedule calls for 14 miles. I'm thinking if it feels ok, I have a 3.5 mile loop that I can do laps on, and bale out early if necessary. The joys of getting old...
                              The joys of getting old...
                              I am feeling you on that one brother!!!!
                              http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                              btb1490

I am feeling you on that one brother!!!!
                                You're still young Alan! Just wait, it gets better! Dead