RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

AWESOME POSTS Mike!!! I need to do that sometime, though I really have a hard time putting thoughts into writing Confused Nice to know I've had a little influence on your running Big grin BTW can your inner voice teach my inner voice to be a little more quieter? I have a hard time not listening to it Tongue Love watching your progress BTW!!! Soooooooo glad your ankle pain went as quickly as it came! I think our body does stuff like that to remind us how important a healthy body is. I know I definetly pay more attention to mine now then I did a year ago.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

Ok Mike, you have to stop this writing down stuff NOW! You're making the rest of us look like slackers! I predict great things for you Mike, if you keep going the way you're going. And we're here to make sure you do! Keep up the great work!
        Thanks, Pam! I'm normally not very good at throwing my thoughts into writing either - unless I have some sort of structure in mind to write into. Haha on the inner voice. I'm not sure we should talk to much about them - someone might think we're crazy crazier.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Bob - you know that was exactly why I was doing it! NOT! Thanks for the prediction! I hope I can live up to it. And I'm really glad you guys remind me to stay on track when I veer off!

btb1490

Seriously Mike, I didn't mean to poke fun at what you wrote. Everything was very insightful and true, and spoken like a real veteran, and spoken by someone who really wants to improve. Very admirable. That Core Performance book is a lot to digest. Devoting yourself to the entire program really isn't practical for most people. I pick and choose bits of info from it and use those. Maybe you want to focus on just one thing, like the injury prevention section, what he calls "Prehab". I hope you find something useful in there and that I didn't make you waste your $$$.
              Bob, I know you were kidding and so was I. I really appreciate your support - it means a lot. Regarding the book, it's definitely NOT a waste of money. Just reading the page on sleep and rest was worth every penny. I've actually started doing the one legged hamstring stretch - just need to get more regular with it. It feels very good (and works balance at same time) - much better than the old school "bend over and touch your toes" kind that I had been doing. I agree on your comments on the prehab stuff. I just need to figure out a good way to ease myself into it. I will probably be back to 40 mpw this week and if history is any basis - I normally feel too tired to do much more than run. This time around I just need to keep working it until it becomes a habit - it will take care of itself after that.

So I ran my plan last week, which was to get close to 40 miles of running and transition from post-marathon recovery week into all easy running. I ran 40.x miles and hiked 6 miles - so a great week. I'm still loving this cool weather and speed - all my runs were in the 9:30 neighborhood. I had forgotten about Halloween being this week and didn't really plan any taper for this weekend's HM into this week's running plan. I'll have to juggle some of that around to bring down the mileage and open up Wednesday for trick or treating with DD. I've also been looking at the last 6 or 7 weeks of my training coming up to the Cowtown marathon. Pfitz really switches away from tempo running into interval training. I've just been wondering if for someone of my slow abilities if switching the intervals to tempo runs is wise or just leaving them as is. I didn't have any trouble doing the intervals in the last training cycle and actually enjoyed them - just wondering which way would be smarter for me.

Thanks, Pam! I'm normally not very good at throwing my thoughts into writing either - unless I have some sort of structure in mind to write into. Haha on the inner voice. I'm not sure we should talk to much about them - someone might think we're crazy crazier.
                  Who said anything about inner voices? Confused Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well not sure what your weekly plan is, but how bout taking Wed and Friday off. Is your half marathon on Sunday? If so do just a short easy run on Saturday. Do a nice mid long run on Thursday. Maybe a nice tempo run on Tuesday and a nice easy run today? Course I'm usually clueless. As for your feelings about tempo vs intervals. I really think tempo's will help more for the marathon (just my 2cents) though I really LOVE nice long progression runs!! Anyway hope you have a great week Mike!!! Good luck this weekend!

Who said anything about inner voices? Confused Tongue
                      BTW can your inner voice teach my inner voice to be a little more quieter? I have a hard time not listening to it Tongue
                      Uh. You.

Scout7

The intervals are there to make you faster.
                          Well not sure what your weekly plan is, but how bout taking Wed and Friday off. Is your half marathon on Sunday? If so do just a short easy run on Saturday. Do a nice mid long run on Thursday. Maybe a nice tempo run on Tuesday and a nice easy run today? Course I'm usually clueless. As for your feelings about tempo vs intervals. I really think tempo's will help more for the marathon (just my 2cents) though I really LOVE nice long progression runs!! Anyway hope you have a great week Mike!!! Good luck this weekend!
                          Thanks for the advice, Pam. Yes the race is on Sunday, so your suggestion works well and sounds good. I was already planning to do a tempo a Tuesday, but the rest of the week I wasn't so sure. I like the sound of what you are saying. You are far from clueless! On the mary plan, yeah I like the progression runs too and plan to run about one third to one half of the medium long to long runs as progression runs. So that make two of us in favor of tempo work over interval work. I may post over in the boob club to see what some of the boobs think. I'm sure Pfitz puts the interval runs in there for a reason - but I wonder if it's more for faster people. I wouldn't want to throw away the baby with the bathwater if you know what I mean.

The intervals are there to make you faster.
                            Thanks for checking in Scout. So you think I should leave them in? The 12 week Pftiz plan only has 3 tempo runs and 5 interval sessions.

Scout7

Yeah, I do that... I think that if you've done them in the past, and they seem to work, no need to drop them. They're in there for a reason, ultimately. However, if you've had problems with them (leading to injury, or staleness), then I'd consider something else instead.
                                Thanks, Scout. I haven't had any injuries or pain. And thinking about what you said about "they're in there for a reason", the more I think maybe I should not try to f*ck with the plans until I have some more experience under my shoes.