RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

Scout7

Well, we follow plans for a reason. If you've been pretty faithful to it up 'til now, and it's been working, I don't see a need to change, really. Unless you're like me and just can't stick to anything.
      Follow a plan? I couldn't follow one, even if it were for one week Confused

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks for the advice, Pam. Yes the race is on Sunday, so your suggestion works well and sounds good. I was already planning to do a tempo a Tuesday, but the rest of the week I wasn't so sure. I like the sound of what you are saying. You are far from clueless! On the mary plan, yeah I like the progression runs too and plan to run about one third to one half of the medium long to long runs as progression runs. So that make two of us in favor of tempo work over interval work. I may post over in the boob club to see what some of the boobs think. I'm sure Pfitz puts the interval runs in there for a reason - but I wonder if it's more for faster people. I wouldn't want to throw away the baby with the bathwater if you know what I mean.
        Glad to have been a little help. It's nice to see the SITE OWNER actually giving advice Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Uh. You.
          So your really trying to make me look crazy huh Tongue (I'll save ya the trouble Scout) I know it doesn't take much Wink

Unless you're like me and just can't stick to anything.
            Ha. I struggle between my inability to stick to anything and my desire to take things apart and screw with them. At least for now, it's best that I have a plan so that I don't over think things more than I already do.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

Looking good Mike! How's the smokeout coming along? A young girl from work here who is a heavy smoker came in on Monday and proudly announced that she went smokeless over the weekend and is determined to kick the habit. I've seen how hard it is for people to do that, so keep up the good work Mike.
                Thanks, Bob! The smokeout is still going strong! I'm passed the two week mark so things are getting easier again - the cravings and the running both. Good luck to your friend at work. Tell her to start running - it really helped me.

Okay, I made the changes you recommended for this week's plan, Pam. Except for last night, I skipped because I like to leave Mondays as rest days. For now I will try following Scout's advice of leaving the 12 week plan alone for now - in terms of leaving the intervals in there. I will still drop the mileage to the 45 ish range so that I follow my own advice of trying to stay under 50 mpw until I'm in better shape for it. Pam, I also noticed that you added a special workout type called walk. I liked that idea because it lets me still track my walk miles while not getting mixed in with the running miles. So I recategorized all that earlier today. Thanks for that idea!

btb1490

Thanks, Bob! The smokeout is still going strong! I'm passed the two week mark so things are getting easier again - the cravings and the running both. Good luck to your friend at work. Tell her to start running - it really helped me.
                    Yeah Mike! It'll be neat to see if your running responds to your new and improved lungs! I checked with the girl at work today to see how she was doing.... she caved in last night. Sad She lives at home and her entire family smokes. Not a good situation. Any suggestions to pass on to her Mike. I don't think running is gonna happen with her, but you never know.
                      Beyond running to help keep her mind off things - I can only recommend the patch or one of the pills like Zyban, Wellbutrin, or Chantix. I used the patch this time and I've used Zyban and Wellbutrin in the past. Haven't tried the Chantix - but I hear it's better at helping you quit than the other two.

Had a great tempo run last night. Was planning on a 10 miler with 5 @ tempo pace - but got out of the Cub Scout Halloween festivities a little late - so I opted for 6 with 3 @ tempo instead. Wow! If I had just run another 0.1 miles I would have set a 10k PR! I had to really focus on slowing it down enough to still call it a tempo run and not interval training. When I finished the 3rd mile - I really felt like I had gas for more. Looking ahead to Sunday, I didn't want to leave my best miles on the training course so I slowed it down a little for the last mile and half and headed home. I really wasn't thinking a lot on what my HM race plan would look like until I got home last night. But now, I'm thinking 1:50/1:55 is doable and sub-2 is all but guaranteed. Of course, I'm sure I just hexed myself by saying that, but there you go.

Okay, I made the changes you recommended for this week's plan, Pam. Except for last night, I skipped because I like to leave Mondays as rest days. For now I will try following Scout's advice of leaving the 12 week plan alone for now - in terms of leaving the intervals in there. I will still drop the mileage to the 45 ish range so that I follow my own advice of trying to stay under 50 mpw until I'm in better shape for it. Pam, I also noticed that you added a special workout type called walk. I liked that idea because it lets me still track my walk miles while not getting mixed in with the running miles. So I recategorized all that earlier today. Thanks for that idea!
                          No rest for the wicked Mike Tongue j/k Glad to hear you decided to stick with what the program says. Wish I could follow one Confused Glad you liked my special workout. It's nice to be able to keep track of those miles as well! AWESOME run Mike!!! You are going to ROCK this weekends HM! Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

No rest for the wicked Mike Tongue j/k Glad to hear you decided to stick with what the program says. Wish I could follow one Confused Glad you liked my special workout. It's nice to be able to keep track of those miles as well! AWESOME run Mike!!! You are going to ROCK this weekends HM! Good luck and HAVE FUN!!
                            HAHA. I'm plenty wicked - so I guess I deserve NO rest! Yeah - the downside on the other workout type is I lost 70 miles - but oh well - never felt comfortable having them in there anyway. I'll have to be happy with 1,000-1,200. Next year is my year to shoot for 1,500 or 2,000! Thanks! I just picked up my packet today and got #31! Woohoo! Picking up the bib always gets me motivated! Got a nice long sleeve Brooks shirt, too!

btb1490

You ready to race this weekend, #31?
                                well that bites losing 70 miles. Next year will be bigger and better! Good luck on Sunday Mike!!!! Rock that half marathon!!!