RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

You ready to race this weekend, #31?
    Yes I AM! Woo hoo! I broke a cardinal rule of race t-shirts and wore the nice long sleeve shirt from the packet on last night's run - before I ran the race - horrors! Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

well that bites losing 70 miles. Next year will be bigger and better! Good luck on Sunday Mike!!!! Rock that half marathon!!!
      Exactly. I decided since I wasn't going to make 1,500 anyway - I will just be happy with more than 1,000 or whatever I end up with and a very fun year of running. Thanks, Pam! When's your last long run planned?

So I'm a little bored with my "tapering" for my HM on Sunday. Tapering, in the case, is just a euphemism for doing what I can do try to forget why I was stupid enough to sign up for the 6 hour run. Big grin Just kidding, I'm actually looking forward to it. So talking in different posts with Derek about Cowtown, he mentioned that it was considered hilly. I spent 20 minutes mapping it here to get an elevation profile, before I realized that they already had one on the race website. Doh. Just another thing to think about to keep my mind off the Ultracentric day of insanity. Here it is - certainly less climb and descent than M2M but more variation. Except for a couple parts that look a little steep, most of it looks like 50ish feet of climb per mile - which is what most of the stuff I train on has. I still think I'll throw a little hill training into the plan this time - not only for the preparation value, but Scout always says its the best way to build running strength, and it'll be a nice change from everything else. I'm thinking just a little bit every couple weeks or so - anyone have better advice for me?

Scout7

Do the hills. They can only help. Couple different ways to handle them. Here's a good description of hill training: http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur_Lydiard.htm#Hill
            Like Scout I say DO THE HILLS!! I know the hills on my normal route have really helped. My last long run was today Mike. HAVE FUN this weekend!! MTA: GOOD LUCK TOMORROW MIKE!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks, Scout and Pam! And thanks for the link, Scout, I've seen that before (probably from you) but forgot to save a link to it). I've got baby hills that I do on my normal runs - but I'll definitely add in a route of repeats on a much bigger hill that I recently found. Thanks for the well wishes, Pam. I'm feeling good and ready to rock tomorrow. My wife made chicken and pasta for dinner - not that I need to carbo-load for a half- but it was a very nice thought.

CONGRATS MIKE!!!! NICE PR!!!! Now rest up for Ultracentric!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Stalker! Thanks, Pam!

btb1490

I haven't had time to stalk you like Pam did, Mike. So I'll just follow her lead. Congrats on the PR!!!!! Yay! MTA: Ok, I saw your log entry! Wow Mike! What a great race you had! Way to pick it up at the end like that!
                      Thanks, Bob! I had a lot of fun as this was the biggest race I've been in before (~2,500 people). It always amazes me how many people misjudge their pace and start way too far up front and clog the road for others behind them. I must have passed a good 200-300 people in the first mile that were already walking. I started at the 9:00 pace sign and didn't recognize any of them - so you know they had to have started in the 7:00 or 8:00 group. None of these people looked like they could run ONE mile at that pace let alone a HM. I got some reinforcement that I need to work on the hills as Scout and Pam have advised. These weren't very big - but lots of rolling hills for about 4 miles. Not a big deal - they were just unexpected as most races at this location run directly around the lake and are very flat. I was pleased with this race, especially after being only 3 weeks after my first marathon. My shins feel good again - my right foot is a little sore under the ball - the Mizunos just don't have the forefoot cushioning that my NBs do. As usual, I'm planning on today being a rest day with a recovery run tomorrow if the foot feels better. The goal is to get in about 40 easy miles this week - with maybe a little tempo work at the end of the week if I feel up to it. Then next week is back to taper time for Ultracentric. At the moment, I'm feeling pretty confident about nailing both a marathon PR (not the goal - but it should be a nice bonus) and getting the 50k done. I still haven't finalized my exact pace plan yet - but I'm still thinking about a nice even running pace until I get to 26.2 (4:20 ish maybe?), walk for a half mile or so to recover a little and then move into a run/walk pattern that allows me to comfortably finish 50k within the 6 hour time limit.

Stalker! Thanks, Pam!
                        Anytime Tongue

Prophet!

nice job on the race mike...awesome stuff. Have you used those S caps lots ? I had problems with cramping last year and thinking of trying one of those in this year's marrython... any ill side-effects ?
                            nice job on the race mike...awesome stuff. Have you used those S caps lots ? I had problems with cramping last year and thinking of trying one of those in this year's marrython... any ill side-effects ?
                            Thanks, Steve. I've used them in a couple of my long runs, the marathon and this one half. No ill effects and no cramps. Lynn (jlynnbob) turned me on to them. Here's a clipping from one of the email's he sent me when I asked him about trail running and ultras.
                            As for electrolytes, I use Succeed products. I usually take 2 S-Caps per hour, but sometimes take 3. This can be different for different people. I have tried using Endurolytes, but I find I have to take more of them and still don't get all of what I need. I think that is because the S-Caps have more sodium...during ultras, I really try to use products high in sodium, but have never used pure salt tablets. I also use Clip-2 powder mix for drinking, in addition to plain old water. If aid is more than 3-4 miles apart, I will carry a 2 bottle waist belt with one bottle of water and one of Clip-2. If aid is closer together, I will carry the Clip-2 and get water from the aid station. In a marathon, I would probably not carry anything (unless it is warm/humid) except S-Caps and rely on the aid station for fluids. You can find Succeed products (they are less expensive than many products out there) at Ultrafit-Endurance. I probably wouldn't worry about any of this stuff for runs under 2 hours.
                            Lynn uses 2 to 3 of these per hour - I've found I do just fine with 1 per hour - however, I'm usually also taking a GU pack every 45 minutes in addition to this. I ordered them from the site Lynn mentioned, as well as some shorts and stuff and the guy ships really fast - so you have plenty of time to check them out pre-mary. I think they were like 10 bucks for a bottle of 100 of them.

btb1490

Hey Mike, how are you feeling post 1/2 marathon today?
                                Hey Bob, Everything has been great - except for the ball of my right foot. It got sore the morning after the HM - and I've been icing it. Felt better by last night - but I skipped running on it for a little extra rest. I'm planning on going out tonight for an easy run to see how it feels. A friend at work has the Morton's neuroma and I was very nervous because the soreness was in a similar spot - but after (obsessively) reading about it - I think it was just plain sore - the soreness is pretty much gone at this point.