RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

btb1490

Ditto what Pam said, Mike! Let us know how the track session goes. No bribing those time keepers so that they give you a faster time! Wink
    btb1490

Was just looking at your recent log entries - 1:30 half at Disney Shocked That sounds like that will make the full hurt!
      Heck, a 1:30 half is gonna make the HALF hurt, never mind the full! I'm lucky, the guy I'm running with has been sick and hasn't run, so hopefully he'll revise his goal time to something less painful.
        Good luck breaking 6 on your mile today!!! Enjoy your weekend and happy holidays Mike!!
        Thanks, Pam! You too!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Heck, a 1:30 half is gonna make the HALF hurt, never mind the full! I'm lucky, the guy I'm running with has been sick and hasn't run, so hopefully he'll revise his goal time to something less painful.
          Yeah - I didn't think of it that way. I guess I saw your marathon PR of 3:00 and figured a 1:30 half wouldn't be too hard for you. Not wishing your friend to be sick - but I'm hoping your friend revises his goal too!

Thanks, Bob! Happy holidays to you, too! The track session went okay - not as well as I had hoped - but I'm not unhappy. So last time I went to the track for a mile time trial - I ran 6:30. Wow - I didn't realize that it's been 5 months since I last ran one! Breaking 6:00 for the mile is actually a goal of mine for 2008 - but I figured I'd give it a shot in 2007 - just to see. I ran a mile and half warmup. Had a nice first quarter mile of 1:31 and was feeling great. I was planning to keep up the same pace for laps 2 and 3 and then drop the hammer for lap 4. As I came around turn 2 the wind (learned it was 14-15 mph when I got home) was in my face and the wheels came off. I ended up running 1:42 and 1:43 for laps 2 and 3 and then a 1:36 for lap 4. Ah well - nice to know that I'm still as fast as I was in the summer. I think with the no wind I could maybe run 6:10 or 6:15. I definitely learned a little respect for the distance though. It was relatively easy to drop from 8:30 to 6:30 over a 3 month period. Further drops in time are, in all likelihood, going to be a lot harder. Oh and regarding the timekeepers. They were bribing me so we could stay longer. They love climbing the bleachers and running on the track barefooted. They say it's like a road - only squishier.

WTG on your time trial! WIND SUCKS!!! I've yet to ever try a 1 mile time trial. One day maybe Way to keep those kids busy though!! So what were they bribing you with??

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WTG on your time trial! WIND SUCKS!!! I've yet to ever try a 1 mile time trial. One day maybe Way to keep those kids busy though!! So what were they bribing you with??
                Thanks, Pam! I like the 1 mile because its short enough to run it really hard - but not long enough to need much (or any) recovery time. Ha - they were bribing me with two of my favorite things - my daughter was going to rub my feet (after I took a shower of course) and my son said he would roll me with the Stick (I think he has a future as a PT!). How could I pass up an offer like that?

Training Week 3 Summary I was scheduled to do the following: TUE: 8mi Easy with 10x100m Strides - Check (Sort of) WED: 4mi Recovery - Check (Sort of) THU: 11mi Medium Long - Check SAT: 4mi Recovery - Nope SUN: 16mi Medium Long - Nope So it was a busy week and I rearranged things a bit to suit the family and cub scout schedule. On Wednesday, my boss came to work with the flu (like an idiot) and took us all to lunch. I got the honor of sitting next to him and his Christmas gift to me was - you guessed it - the flu. I can't complain too much because my boss also let us out of work 3 hours early so I did manage to get the 11 miler in on Wednesday afternoon. I got in 6 miles with strides instead of 8. Just wasn't feeling great and didn't realize I was coming down with something yet. On Friday - like you already saw - I got in 2 miles easy with a 1 mile time trial. By Friday night, the flu was in full swing. I spent a little while stressing about running Saturday and Sunday with the flu - but in the end I decided it was time to just rest up and pick up with the training on the day after Christmas. This is a nice change for me to see - because this past summer - I would have forced myself to go out and at least try to run - and probably would've made things worse. Hopefully with some rest - next week will be better! In total for the week, I got in 20.7 miles versus the planned 43.

btb1490

Mike, what kind of a lunch did the boss treat you to? That will determine whether getting the flu was worth it or not! Wink Seriously, sorry to hear about getting sick for the holidays. Sad I'm proud of you for not stubbornly getting out and trying to run anyway. Rest up and get better soon! You'll be back at it soon enough.
                    btb1490

Mike, I was gonna pop in and see how you were feeling, and saw that you had a great 18 miler! Woohoo! So I guess things are going ok! What a great year of running it's been for you, and I hope 2008 is even better! Happy New Year!
                        Mike, what kind of a lunch did the boss treat you to? That will determine whether getting the flu was worth it or not! Wink Seriously, sorry to hear about getting sick for the holidays. Sad I'm proud of you for not stubbornly getting out and trying to run anyway. Rest up and get better soon! You'll be back at it soon enough.
                        It was good mexican food. Thanks, Bob - I'm still congested - but feeling a LOT better these last couple days.

Mike, I was gonna pop in and see how you were feeling, and saw that you had a great 18 miler! Woohoo! So I guess things are going ok! What a great year of running it's been for you, and I hope 2008 is even better! Happy New Year!
                          Thanks, Bob! Woohoo is right - I trimmed more than 20 minutes off the time of my last 18 miler! Happy New Year to you too! When do you leave to fly to Orlando?

Training Week 4 Summary Since I'm doing the 12 week Pfitz plan, this week ends Mesocycle 1 - Endurance. I was scheduled to do the following: TUE: 10mi Easy w/5mi @ Tempo - Check WED: 4mi Recovery - Nope THU: 11mi Medium Long - Check SAT: 5mi Recovery - Nope SUN: 17mi Long - Check So the beginning of this week started like the end of last week - still sick with the flu. I was getting worried when I'd be able to run again! Finally on Thursday I headed out and felt good so I went ahead and ran the tempo run. My wife was working from home on Friday and I was still feeling okay, so I headed out and got the 11 miler in. The legs were a little tight Friday night - but felt good by Saturday. I wanted to try to get in the recovery run - so as not to lose out on too much mileage this week - but said F it and took it as a rest day so that the long run would go well. While I've been feeling a lot better - I still have a lot of nasal drip and a very small cough going - so I didn't want to tempt fate. This morning I went out for the planned 17 miler and did 18 so I could at least get 40 in for the week. In total for the week, I got in 40.1 miles versus the planned 47.

Oh, yeah. I gotta plan in at least a 1.9 miler for tomorrow so I can break 1,200 for the year. Tongue

btb1490

Thanks, Bob! Woohoo is right - I trimmed more than 20 minutes off the time of my last 18 miler! Happy New Year to you too! When do you leave to fly to Orlando?
                                Holy crap, Mike. That's over a minute/mile faster than your last one! That's just plain scary how far you've come in such a short time. You may have the genes of a champion and you don't even know it! Get that 1.9 miler in today! Very cool! Not heading to Orlando till next week, so it's dealing with the chilly northeast weather for a little while longer. It's been pretty hot down there, so I actually hope it cools down a bit!