RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

Jeff and Scout, Thanks a lot for the input. I really appreciate it. I'm looking at the plan now - I've got a "tune-up" race on the plan two weeks out. But I may reschedule some stuff and head out to the track for a time trial or maybe the test that Jeff suggests. I really want to save the tune-up race for something in the 10K - 15k range.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Based on that, then I think you need to probably adjust your pace. BUT.... The only true test would be to race. At the very least a sort of personal time trial..
      True. Though if you're not racing. I'd still do the 3x1mi workout in lieu of a personal time trial. The reason is that it is really hard to get up for running 5k solo -- it is harder to develop the motivation to run a best-possible full 5K in training than it is to complete three 1-mile intervals, with promised recoveries.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

True. Though if you're not racing. I'd still do the 3x1mi workout in lieu of a personal time trial. The reason is that it is really hard to get up for running 5k solo -- it is harder to develop the motivation to run a best-possible full 5K in training than it is to complete three 1-mile intervals, with promised recoveries.
        Yeah, I generally agree. That's why having someone there would be helpful. But nothing beats racing.
          Thanks again guys. I agree there's nothing like racing - it's just a scheduling problem. And Jeff - I agree on the time trial method you suggest over the full 5K. Since it's meant to be consistently paced mile repeats - then I'm left with the question of how fast to start out at. Big grin MTA - And Scout - when you say "someone there" - I assume you mean to run as fast or faster than me - not just someone cheering from the sidelines. If so - I'm fresh out of real people that could do that. All the fast people I know here on RA. Big grin

Scout7

Yeah, more for the running. But hey, even someone to sit on the sidelines and kick your ass while timing you could be somewhat beneficial.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

And Jeff - I agree on the time trial method you suggest over the full 5K. Since it's meant to be consistently paced mile repeats - then I'm left with the question of how fast to start out at. Big grin
              The key to this workout is to not blast the first one, thus rendering the other ones sucktastic. Run what you consider to be your "current" 5k pace (based on that last race). If that doesn't feel too hard, push it some on the last two. If you can run the last two both around the same time (and faster than your old time), then that's what I would consider to be your new 5k pace. Agree that it helps to have someone there, even if they're not running.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Sweet. I love having a good plan. At least until I finish kung-fu classes. Thanks again for the advice - I may have to head out to the track tomorrow morning.

So I reluctantly rolled out of bed this morning and headed to the track. I didn't want to - but if I didn't do it today - I knew I wouldn't get around to it for awhile. After a mile and half warmup - I stretched a bit and got mentally prepared. I decided to just see what happened in the first mile (without going over the top and not being able to do the other two). I ended up with the following splits: 7:26, 7:30, and 7:20 for an average of 7:26. I think I did them properly - because I wasn't completely spent at the end - but I also knew that I didn't have another mile at that pace in me. Average HR was a little below 85% if that means anything. It's definitely more in line with where my tempo runs have been. What say you, coaches o'mine?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What say you, coaches o'mine?
                    Sounds like you've got yourself a new 5k pace for your workouts. Nice job!

Sounds like you've got yourself a new 5k pace for your workouts. Nice job!
                      Thanks, Jeff! And thanks again for the workout - it did the trick. I may not be so thankful when the rest of my interval workouts are more painful! Tongue I think I did 5 races last time around. Now that this is behind me, I'm thinking of combining the two tune-up races in the schedule down to a single 10K this time.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

7:25 per mile is a 23:03 5k or so. You could plug that into McMillan's to get an estimate of where your tempo pace should be right now. However, increase your pace slowly on these workouts so as to avoid injury.

Training Week 6 Summary I was scheduled to do the following: TUE: 5mi Recovery - Check WED: 10mi w/5x1000m @ 5K pace - Check THU: 12mi Medium Long - Check (Sort of) SAT: 6mi Recovery w/6x100m - Check (Sort of) SUN: 15mi w/12mi @ MP - Check Pretty good week overall. I had several firsts for this training cycle. Wednesday brought the first VO2Max workout which went very well - I even got to see a coyote on the running trail. When I turned on my headlamp - he hauled ass into the woods. I'd like to say he scared me - but to be honest - two squirrels running across the trail right in front of me scared the shit out of me. Thursday was my first encounter with code brown. No squirrels or coyotes to blame it on - things were fine about a mile from home - and then things weren't fine. My apologies to the people's yard - but I'm sure it all evens out with the folks that let their dogs shit in my yard. Big grin Saturday - on the advice of Jeff and Scout - I ran a 3x1mile workout because I was suspicious that my 5K pace for doing interval work was soft. So I ran that workout and I have a new 5K pace of 7:25. I'm glad I'm in better shape - but I'm sure I won't be so glad come the next interval workout. Wink Jeff also suggested that I use this to project new tempo paces and work my way down to them (current paces are: 8:34 for 15K and 8:45 for HM -- new paces would be: 7:58 for 15K and 8:08 for HM). If I'm up to the challenge, I'll give it a whirl in my tempo run next week and see how it goes. Lastly, today was my first and only marathon pace run (of any real length) in this training cycle. It went great! I set out with a goal pace of 8:55 (this would be a marathon pace of 3:53 - 3:54) and nailed it on the average pace while attacking 11 hills along the way. Next week is supposed to be the peak week (mileage-wise) and then it's all down hill from there. Sub 4 at Cowtown, here I come! In total for the week, I got in 50.1 miles versus the planned 48.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

.Thursday was my first encounter with code brown. No squirrels or coyotes to blame it on - things were fine about a mile from home - and then things weren't fine. My apologies to the people's yard - but I'm sure it all evens out with the folks that let their dogs shit in my yard. Big grin
                            I don't know how I missed this the first time. Code Brown. Heh. Heh. You may want to follow my lead from this post to help yourself in those kind of situations.

I don't know how I missed this the first time. Code Brown. Heh. Heh. You may want to follow my lead from this post to help yourself in those kind of situations.
                              LOL. I was waiting for you to notice that. I got the phrase from you. Actually, on your advice I made a "Patented Jeffgoblue Shit Kit". It went in my pocket to my marathon and ultra last year. Unfortunately, I did not bring it with me last week.

Burninated Peasant

Don't know how I missed the earlier thread. FWIW, I usually take care of code brown by rerouting my run by a park with facilities or a convenience store or a grocery store when I'm not successful before heading out the door. This time of year, it's a little more difficult, since most parks have shut everything down for the winter. If your area is like mine, there's usually a fair number of construction sites you could run by. There is usually at least one portajohn at those spots. I've used these before when the need arose, and while nasty, they're not any worse than the pre-race facilities often are.