RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

Scout7

This goes well with the discussion about not running with diarrhea.
      Don't know how I missed the earlier thread. FWIW, I usually take care of code brown by rerouting my run by a park with facilities or a convenience store or a grocery store when I'm not successful before heading out the door. This time of year, it's a little more difficult, since most parks have shut everything down for the winter. If your area is like mine, there's usually a fair number of construction sites you could run by. There is usually at least one portajohn at those spots. I've used these before when the need arose, and while nasty, they're not any worse than the pre-race facilities often are.
      Yeah - if it had happened a mile sooner I would have had some woods - less than a mile later - I would've been home. At the CB point I was in the neighborhood zone - with walls on both sides of the roads and nowhere to hide.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

This goes well with the discussion about not running with diarrhea.
        Yes, it does go well. I am glad that my CB was not the big D.

Burninated Peasant

Yes, it does go well. I am glad that my CB was not the big D.
          Though it might be, next time, if you eat too much Reason Bran.
          btb1490

Mike, it looks like you're right on target for your sub-4! The way you are going, I have a feeling in the not too distant future you'll be talking about a 3:30...
            Yeah - if it had happened a mile sooner I would have had some woods - less than a mile later - I would've been home. At the CB point I was in the neighborhood zone - with walls on both sides of the roads and nowhere to hide.
            This is why I run before the sun comes up. You don't have to worry about hiding.
            However, increase your pace slowly on these workouts so as to avoid injury.
            Can't echo this enough!
              Mike, it looks like you're right on target for your sub-4! The way you are going, I have a feeling in the not too distant future you'll be talking about a 3:30...
              Thanks, Bob! I don't know how soon I could get near 3:30, but I am already thinking of re-evaluating my running goals for the year. Possibly to push the 50 miler out to next year and focus on the marathon, 50K and a few shorter races this year. We'll see what happens after Cowtown. And don't worry about me going to fast on the paces - I definitely plan to start out at my current paces and ease on down to the new ones.

btb1490

Hey Mike. You out there? No run entries in a few days... everything ok? Just busy?
                  Hey Mike. You out there? No run entries in a few days... everything ok? Just busy?
                  Hey, Bob! A little of everything. I got real busy at work early last week - followed by the wife and I both getting sick. So I too the rest of the week off to take care of work, family, and me. I'm feeling good now and hoping to get back on schedule tonight. Thanks for checking on me!

Training Week 7 Summary I was scheduled to do the following: TUE: 6mi Recovery - Half Ass Check WED: 12mi w/7mi @ Tempo - Nope FRI: 12mi Medium Long - Nope SAT: 5mi Recovery - Nope SUN: 20mi Long - Nope A craptastic week. I bailed a little over halfway through the first run of the week. Wasn't feeling it and ended up with about 3.5 miles. Turns out, I was getting sick and the fever didn't hit me hard until the next day. I was feeling good enough to run physically by Saturday - but not mentally, so I said F it and too the whole week off. Now the mental part is rolling and I'm ready to run tonight. I've found a 10K race to run and am going to juggle the schedule a bit so I can still get the last 20 miler in. Should be easy to do next weekend since I skipped this week's. In total for the week, I got in 3.5 miles versus the planned 55. Ouch.

btb1490

Mike, sorry to hear you've been sick. Best to get it out of the way now! You've gotten some good training in up till now, you were due for a stepback week anyway. No worries. Feel better.
                        Training Week 8 Summary I was scheduled to do the following: TUE: 8mi w/5x600 @ 5K pace - Check WED: 11mi Medium Long - Check FRI: 10mi Easy - Nope - Skipped SAT: 4mi Recovery - Check SUN: 20mi Long - Check To make room for next week's 10K and still be able to get in a decent 20 miler, I took the first half of this week, and glued it to the second half of next week. Other than skipping the 10 miler on Friday night - just was not into getting out into the cold wet that night. Saturday, I went running with a guy I met when I joined NTTR. Turns out he lives less than a mile away. We did a nice 7 miler with his dog - in the fog. He's one of those crazy ultra guys like Lynn - he's heading off for his 3rd 100 mile race next weekend. I had a great 22+ miler today - great way to finish off the hard part of the training plan. In total for the week, I got in 48.8 miles versus the (adjusted) planned 53.

Mike, sorry to hear you've been sick. Best to get it out of the way now! You've gotten some good training in up till now, you were due for a stepback week anyway. No worries. Feel better.
                          Thanks, Bob! Feeling great now - hopefully that will continue for 3 more weeks and 6 days!

btb1490

Wow, what a comback you had this week! I guess you are feeling better! A little downtime is good now and again. You should be good to go for your race now that your obligitory sickness is out of the way.
                              NICE 10k PR Mike!!! Congrats hun!! Can not wait to see how you do at Cowtown!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wow, what a comback you had this week! I guess you are feeling better! A little downtime is good now and again. You should be good to go for your race now that your obligitory sickness is out of the way.
                                Thanks, Bob! Definitely feeling better. Hopefully, that will be the last sickness - at least until after Cowtown.