RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

4 days to what? Is this the marathon? Good luck in any case!
    T-3 days and counting. Jim - yes to the marathon. The Cowtown Marathon in Ft. Worth, TX this Saturday. This topic started as my training log for my first marathon last fall. Cowtown will be my third race of marathon length (or beyond). Hopefully - it will be my first time at sub-4. After this weekend, I'll drop in some final updates and start a new log about my training for some 50Ks and my first 50 miler that I'm planning for later this year.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

So, being the slacker that I am. I decided to eat most of an extra large pizza last night for dinner - and opted to not run. I'll still try to get in the seven miler tonight and maybe a short 2-4 miler on Friday morning before work.

btb1490

So, being the slacker that I am. I decided to eat most of an extra large pizza last night for dinner - and opted to not run. I'll still try to get in the seven miler tonight and maybe a short 2-4 miler on Friday morning before work.
        Sounds like the perfect pre-race week routine Mike! You are READY!
        btb1490

Go get 'em this weekend Mike!!!

Good luck! Lookin' forward to the results.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks Bob and Blaine. So I finally got around to the last run this week. I was a bit worried that my over tapering these past two weeks would be detrimental - but I went out for an easy 3-4 miles this morning and after a half mile of what felt easy - I looked down at my watch and saw I was running 8:30 pace. I know - that actually is easy or more likely slow for most of you guys - but for me that's 30 seconds faster than planned MP. So I slowed it down a bit to MP and did 2 miles at that pace. It felt great - but reigned it in some more into my easy pace for the last mile and change and headed home to get ready for work. Got the marathon packet on the way home and am already to go. Strangely, I do not have anywhere the nervousness/jitters as I normally do. I'm not sure what it means - but I'm going to take it as a good sign. Time to head off to sleep and dream of sub-4 for tomorrow!

Prophet!

GOOOO BONKIN! Looking forward to reading the race report when i wake up tomorrow Shy
                  Thanks, Steve! The report may not be done until after your afternoon nap. My son's birthday party starts like an hour after I get home. I'm not worried about the marathon - but the party may kill me.

btb1490

Look what our Mike did! Distance MAR Clock Time 3:57:55 Chip Time 3:54:43 Overall Place 4 Gender Place 4 Division Place 1 Age Grade 55% Total Pace 8:57/M You ROCK Mike!
                      MIKE ROCKSZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats hun!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks, Bob and Pam. I had a great race today! A huge amount of thanks goes to all of you that have coached and consoled me! I couldn't have done it without all your help!

Thanks, Bob and Pam. I had a great race today! A huge amount of thanks goes to all of you that have coached and consoled me! I couldn't have done it without all your help!
                          Way to go Mike. Congratulations!
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                            Way to go Mike. Congratulations!
                            Thanks, Jim!

I've put a race report out there if any one cares to read it.

Training Week 12 Summary So this was race week! I was scheduled to do the following: MON: 6mi Recovery - Check WED: 7mi w/2m @ MP - Nope - Skipped THU: 5mi Recovery w/6x100m Strides - Nope - Skipped FRI: 4mi Recovery - Check - Sort of SAT: 26.2mi - Big Check So on one hand I wanted to stick to my taper plan - but another part of me said "nah - let's rest up". So I bailed on a couple of the mid-week runs. Friday morning I went out for short run and got in a couple miles at MP. That would have to be good enough. Saturday, I ran the race I was dreaming of. And beat my goal with 5 minutes to spare. I am thrilled with the way this one turned out. Thanks to everyone here in the coaching forum for your advice and support. It is very, very much appreciated. In total for the week, I got in 35.6 miles versus the planned 48.2.