RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

Wow! Hard to believe that we live 3 hours from the border - drove 8 hours west - and we're still at least 2 more hours from the border. I knew Texas was a big state - but holy crap! I'm staying in a hotel in a very small town in west Texas (pop ~4,000). The hotel is an historic landmark - so I wasn't planning on having net access - but low and behold - they are wired up and wireless out here in the wild west! I'll definitely run a smart, fun race, Bob. I'll check back in with you guys later!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Well you should be done with your 1st marathon and relaxing!!! CAN"T wait to hear how you did and how your first marathon experience was!!!! Thinking of ya Mike!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

derek

I saw in your Chicago report that you were contemplating Cowtown - any thought of running White Rock? I'm still undecided - but it's on my list - will have to see how I feel after this weekend.
        I would probably pass on WhiteRock., but I'll see how the next few weeks go.

Derek

btb1490

Well you should be done with your 1st marathon and relaxing!!! CAN"T wait to hear how you did and how your first marathon experience was!!!! Thinking of ya Mike!
          Woohoo Mike!!!!! You did it!!!! Details please! 7th in your age group!!! Woohoo again! 7 M 40-49 4:40:59.70 10:43/M Congratulations!
            Pam and Bob, Thanks so much, I had a great time! I'm working on a race report and will post it here in a bit. Thanks for finding the race results, Bob. I looked for them on the marathon site and they weren't up yet.

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! WTG Mike!!! CONGRATS!!!!! Way to place in your age group!!! BOB is the man!!! I have been looking for your results and all I see are up to 2006 Sad CAN NOT wait to read your report (though take your time!!!) Again Congrats!!! New you could do it!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks, Pam! I added a link in my log for the race that has the results.

Umm. I think yesterday's marathon made me a little (more) retarded.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I wanna do one of those!!!

btb1490

Ok Mike, I see that the sun baked your brain during your marathon.... Pam, what's your excuse? Wink
                        LOL - I guess I am only 1/4 retarded - as I only signed up for the 6 hour event. I only need to run 11:36 pace to do a 50k. Or I may try to run closer to 10:30 or 11:00 and quit when I get to 50k. I'll have to see when I get there. Right now it's time to recover and try to remember why I signed up (4 months ago) for a half mary in 3 weeks. I think all this running in the sun has baked my brain.

btb1490

LOL - I guess I am only 1/4 retarded - as I only signed up for the 6 hour event. I only need to run 11:36 pace to do a 50k. Or I may try to run closer to 10:30 or 11:00 and quit when I get to 50k. I'll have to see when I get there. Right now it's time to recover and try to remember why I signed up (4 months ago) for a half mary in 3 weeks. I think all this running in the sun has baked my brain.
                          ONLY signed up for the 6 hour event. La dee da.... Yep, take the time to recover please. Remember when you presented your race schedule earlier in your log, and I said something like things often look good on paper.... or if I didn't say that, I should have.
                            ONLY signed up for the 6 hour event. La dee da.... Yep, take the time to recover please. Remember when you presented your race schedule earlier in your log, and I said something like things often look good on paper.... or if I didn't say that, I should have.
                            Haha. I only said "only" because the picture said 24 hour - and I signed up for the 6 hour. I'm definitely going to be doing plenty of recovery. And yes you did warn me that sometimes things look better on paper - and I'm still listening and paying attention. Like I said - I'm planning to only run enough to do 50k - IF I think it's doable - it's mostly a chance to explore my limits, have fun, and hopefully run with some ultra running "stars". I'll certainly bail earlier if anything starts going wrong. It's a 2.24 mile loop course - so it's real easy to bail out if I need to. I've also changed my mind about running another marathon this year. I think I'm going to sign up for the half marathon at White Rock and run with some work friends who are first time halfers. They are planning on finishing in 2:30ish - so this will actually be a nice slow run for me. Instead - again based on how things go - I may run the Cowtown marathon in February with Derek. I'm going to look at what the training plan might look like over the next few days before I decide though.

btb1490

I'm planning to only run enough to do 50k
                              Here we go with the ONLY stuff again! Smile
                                Ok Mike, I see that the sun baked your brain during your marathon.... Pam, what's your excuse? Wink
                                Having children has fried my brain Tongue