RA Coaching Forum

SurfNRun - Quest for Sub 4 hr Honolulu Marathon - Dec 9, 07 (Read 973 times)

mikeymike

Dude! Nice...

Runners run

Prophet!

Dude! Nice...
      thanks mikeymike, i did try to make myself pass out the last half a mile..i honestly think i wouldn't have tried if i didn't see that banana in front of me. Summer goal is to get consistent 50 mpw, i seem to be breaking down after that first 50 so will have to be smart about it.

Prophet!

Next 11 weeks is gonna be base-building before 18 week program for Honolulu Marathon..I'm trying to go for volume by lots of easy running....oh and at the same time try to finish my degree.
        derek

Hey Steve, How's the running going? Are you currently injured?

Derek

I was just wondering the same thing.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prophet!

Okay I'm back. Its now less than 17 weeks till goal marathon and given that the past month i barely put in any running, i might have to re-evaluate my goals and my training program. I had originally planned to do the Pfitzinger 18 week program but i don't think i'm in good enough shape for that program. So i might go to Hal Higdon Intermediate plan. Today, 4 miler test to see where i'm at, definitely not where i want to be but its a start.
                Awesome, Steve! Good to see you back and have fun on your run today.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

Looking forward to following your progress! 18 weeks is a good chunk of time to get back into shape, just don't rush it. Welcome back to running and good luck!

Prophet!

Week 2 of 18 4 runs of 4,5,6,10 miles...as expected i can feel that i am in a worse shape than i was about a month ago, comfortable pace is down to about 9:40 compared to 9:15-9:20 a month ago. On the 10 miler i felt pretty fatigued by about 8 miles, but recovered pretty fast after the run. We'll see what week 3 brings. At the moment i probably will stick Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 plan, slightly modified to put in more mileage.
                    btb1490

Give it a few weeks, things will kick in. It's already encouraging that you are recovering ok from your runs. Just keep plugging away!
                        How's things going???

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

How's things going???
                          things are going better than i expected, thanks for checking in. I think i'm rounding back to pre-PhD-Defense shape faster than I thought. Given that we're in the process of moving to a new house, cleaning and renting out our old apartment, things are going well running-wise. 9:20 - 9:30 seems comfortable again, so sub 4 hours may still be possible. My only problem right now is that i am also training for an inter-island outrigger paddling race, (42 miles from Molokai to O'ahu) in October, so I have double workouts on tuesdays+thursdays and long paddle on saturday and long run on sunday...its okay for now early on the running but it'll get more crazy near the paddler race.
                            Well that's good to hear!! WOW your going to have your work cut out for you, training for both a marathon and the outrigger paddling race! Sounds like something I'd do. Sounds FUN & HARD!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

Week 3 of 18 5,6,5,10 (6+4). I really wanted to put in more runs but stupid me i agreed to do a 13 mile canoe race on Saturday which wiped me out on Sunday morning so I decided to split my Sunday run into two runs...The paddling training and running combo is wiping me out and my running is suffering a bit. Oh well, just got to keep on trucking and maybe work on getting better nutrition for recovery. P.S. Pam - you'd make an excellent outrigger paddler..

madness baby

Steve, it's good to read that your training's going so well. You've made a lot of progress in a few weeks. Did I miss your defense?
                                deb